UKC

climbing shoes for wide feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NickP 17 Jan 2011
So,
my three 10 year old pairs of Red Chilli Habaneros are way past their best before date(even after a resole or two). The first pair fitted perfectly from day one and were the perfect shoes for my wierdly off-scale wide feet. Pairs 2 and 3 came from e-bay & EllisB's bargain end-of-line bucket when I found that Red Chilli had stopped making them. They were half price - I would have paid double!

But what now? I really need a good climbing shoe that fits my feet. Are there any other fellow hobbits out there that have found a solution to my problem?

Help
 jamesg85 17 Jan 2011
In reply to NickP: I have wide feet and I have recently bought a pair of 5.10 galileos which fit nicely. They are better for wider feet than the other 5.10 velcros. Previously I had a pair of scarpa thunders which also fitted ok. Hope this helps, just go to a climbing shop and try plenty on, James
andynb 18 Jan 2011
In reply to NickP:

I would also recommend the 5.10 Galileos, along with the Anasazi velcro and the 5.10 Moccasym, in order of decreasing stiffness. They seem to fit my wide, but not too arched feet, nicely.

The Galileos are very stiff, great for standing on very small edges and nibs, but lack some sensitivity, especially when you first start using them. They synthetic upper stretches _very_ little, just enough to make it a little more comfortable for your toe knuckles (which may well hurt in the beginning). I can not say they have stretched in length, and they are definately the shoe that has stretched/softened the least, of all my pairs. Synthetic upper smells like cow dung, especially after a few sweaty sessions

The Anasazi VCS have a somewhat similar fit, I think, but are noticably softer, and are a little easier to smear with. I feel the heel cup is too baggy, but don't use them for heel hooks much anyway. Perhaps a good allrounder.

The Moccasyms are very soft, smear well, and may be good if you are climbing cracks. Standing on small edges does take considerable more effort that when using a stiffer shoe, so I don't use this as an every day shoe. Heel tends to pop off when hooking, but I've stopped using them for that type of climbing.

For what is's worth I use the same size in Galileos and Moccasyms. The Galileos are nice and snug, great for edging with curled toes, while in the Moccasyms, my toes are almost flat. I use a half size up in the Anasazis, and they are a little more comfortable that the Galileos.
 OllieR 18 Jan 2011
I recently had to search for wide shoes as I have a bunion which is getting painful.

I ended up going for La Sportiva Miura Velcros. Here is why:

http://www.climbapedia.com/en/articles/la-sportivamiura-velcros/

The lace-ups are also good. Expensive - but worth it.
 TobyA 18 Jan 2011
In reply to NickP: I have wide feet, although possibly slimmer heels - and have found that both Scarpa Force and Sportiva Cliff 5s fit well. http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2334

Much harder to find in the UK, but a more technical shoe that also fits my feet well are the Mammut Velpros.
 lumu_tit 18 Jan 2011
Try Sportiva muiras or Katana - quite wide to start and they stretch a little
ylem 20 Jan 2011
In reply to NickP:
+1 for Gallileo and Katana
In reply to NickP: scarpa instinct
 girlymonkey 20 Jan 2011
My husband and I both have hobbit feet. I get on well with evolv, but I don't know what their men's shoes are like. My husband has had Boreals the last couple of pairs, first the jokers, and now silex, he finds them very comfy.
 iksander 20 Jan 2011
In reply to NickP: For wide fore foot I found Scarpa Force or Katanas good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...