UKC

Peak Area Meeting (February) in Grindleford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Martin Kocsis, BMC 20 Jan 2011
The next Peak Area Meeting will be held on Wednesday 2nd February 2011, starting at 7.30pm at The Maynard, Main Road, Grindleford.

The agenda is on the BMC Community Site as we speak.

http://community.thebmc.co.uk/

Our Very own Henry Folkard has arranged for Mike Innerdale from the National Trust to come along for a Q&A session.

Henry says: “The National Trust own most of the gritstone moors and lots of the crags we climb on (Lawrencefield, Yarncliffe, Kinder, Ravens Tor, Beeston Tor, Thor's Cave, Dovedale), and will also be looking after Curbar, Froggatt, Birchens with the RSPB. Are they going to try and acquire the Roaches too, and what about Stanage? They manage Burbage and Millstone for grazing but not for recreation: what developments can we expect there? Do they have issues with climbers anywhere - bolts, gardening, dry tooling - do they have problems with walkers - Kinder, Bleaklow, Alport? Other issues can be mountain biking, off roading, predator control, raptor persecution, the Upper Derwent. Mike is happy to take questions on the lot. If you care about the Peak, its future and your enjoyment of it, this really is a unique opportunity.”
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2011
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC:

Some overlapping info from Lynn (local area secretary):

BMC PEAK AREA MEETING - Wednesday 2nd February, 7.30pm, The Maynard, Grindleford.

The first half of the meeting will comprise a Question and Answer session with Mike Innerdale, the National Trust’s (NT) General Manager for the Peak District.

We have never had a one to one with a major landowner before so it’s a very special opportunity. So whether you’re a walker and/or a climber now is your chance to ask questions to, or put your points of view across to, the person with real influence and decision making power regarding the future of The Peak.

The NT own most of the gritstone moors and lots of the crags we climb on (Lawrencefield, Yarncliffe, Kinder, Ravens Tor, Beeston Tor, Thor's Cave, Dovedale), and will also be looking after Curbar, Froggatt, Birchens with the RSPB. Are they going to try and acquire the Roaches too, and what about Stanage? They manage Burbage and Millstone for grazing but not for recreation: what developments can we expect there. Do they have issues with climbers anywhere - bolts, gardening, dry tooling - do they have problems with walkers -Kinder, Bleaklow, Alport. Other issues may be mountain biking, off roading and predator control. Mike is happy to take questions on the lot. If you care about the Peak, its future and your enjoyment of it, this really is a unique opportunity.

Hope to see you there, Regards, Lynn Robinson (secretary, Peak Area)
 Ropeboy 23 Jan 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

Bump

Will try to come but it clashes with our wedding anniversary, mind you, I was at Gardoms route checking when Mell went into labour with Jessica, so no change there then

J
 Offwidth 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Ropeboy: Don't remind me. I was the one there with you... I still feel guilty.
 Simon 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

Bump - this is a significant meeting - there should be a decent turn out for it!

Si
In reply to Simon:

I'm trying my best to be there! If not I may try and rope (baduum tsch) some other Buxtonite to be there
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 01 Feb 2011
There seems to have been little of the normal debate surrounding these announcements, so even at this late stage, I thought I would let people know why tomorrow night's meeting is so important.

Indeed, if you only attend one Peak Area meeting in the next year, this should probably be the one.

The reason is that The Peak District and the access we have traditionally enjoyed to its major cliffs is in a period of unprecedented change, following the Asset Review of the Peak District National Park. If someone had said to me 5 years ago, that ownership such iconic venues as The Roaches, Froggatt, Curbar and Stanage was going to change, and that access could be compromised as a result, I’d have probably thought you were pulling my leg. Yet this is precisely what has happened, and is happening right now, and if you don’t know the gory details then you probably should.

We have been extremely fortunate that Mike Innerdale, The National Trust General Manager for the Peak District, has agreed to attend this meeting and to take questions from the floor.

Why does this matter?

Literally within the last week, The National Trust in partnership with the RSPB, secured the first package of crags offloaded by the Peak Park. This includes Froggatt, Curbar, Baslow and Birchens. The BMC collaborated on that successful bid – indeed our logo was on the cover of the bid document – so climbers interests should certainly be represented as a management strategy is drawn up and adopted for this area.

The North Lees estate (including Stanage) is still up in the air, though a bid by the same partnership will probably be submitted. In this case the Peak Park may be looking to sell the freehold and possibly to break up the estate, so the stakes could not be higher.

The process is less advanced for the Roaches estate, and this may be the venue which is at the greatest risk, since The RSPB aren't interested, and the National Trust appear to less interested than they are in the Eastern estates, which fit better with their existing landholdings. It may also be that they have already taken on more than they can cope with, but some passionate lobbying tomorrow night could well help to influence that decision.

All this concerns current and (near) future changes in land ownership and management, but there are other reasons why you might take the opportunity to question The National Trust General Manager for the Peak District:-

The National Trust owns Kinder, Bleaklow and Lawrencefield. They also manage Burbage and Millstone.

And despite everything I've noted so far, it isn't all about gritstone. Mike (or more accurately, his employer) owns Dovedale, Beeston Tor, Thor’s Cave…

... and you know what? They even own Raven Tor!

If you climb in the Peak, you will value all these fantastic playgrounds, some of which are under threat now.

So come along tomorrow night. You don't have to be a BMC member, and to show there are no hard feelings, the BMC will even buy you your tea!

But most of all, come and let Mike Innerdale know just how much we value these places. A strong turnout and a passionate and vocal audience will really help in the negotiations to come

Neil
 Simon 02 Feb 2011
In reply to Neil Foster:

Hill walkers welcome too!

;0)

Si

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...