UKC

Lake District Bird Restrictions 2011

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Lake District Bird Restrictions for 2011 have been agreed between representatives of English Nature, the National Park Authority, the BMC and the FRCC.

They worked well last year, with only one incident reported (Brantrake) of climbers ignoring the signs, and there were many peregrine and raven chicks successfully reared.

The restrictions can be viewed here:

http://www.frcc.co.uk/conservation_birdrestrictions.asp

Please keep an eye on them if climbing in the Lake District between 15th February and 30th June as they may change during the season.
 Rog Wilko 20 Jan 2011
In reply to Stephen Reid: Is it my imagination, or are there more bird restrictions every year?
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'm not sure there's more every year, but there are two new ones this year, Calf Howe Crag and Rainsborrow, both in Kentmere, though I doubt the latter will be greatly missed by climbers. On the plus side, we managed to get a number of crags to remain unrestricted unless birds nest. Some of these are crags where peregrines were nesting last year, so that is quite a concession. The hope is that they may nest somewhere slightly less inconvenient this year, especially if climbers are on the crag when they are choosing their nest site.

In a way it is not surprising if there is a slight increase in restricted crags - it is a measure of the success of measures taken to encourage a rare bird to breed. However it is only a tiny minority of Lakeland Crags that carry restrictions - there are still plenty of places to climb.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...