UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Ecrins Ice - Europe's Finest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 21 Jan 2011
Jerry Gore climbing Dancing Falls, 4 kbEx-pat local Jerry Gore shows us the great ice climbing in the Alpine valleys of the Ecrins. This article gives some recommendations and tips for both beginner and expert.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3211
 MattH 23 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

We stayed in one of Jerry's apartments for a week in the summer. Obviously there wasn't any ice so I can't comment on that, but we had a great time. Lovely weather. Lovely place. Great climbing. Great walking. A thoroughly nice atmosphere. We were there in Sept and in a week managed sport climbing, bouldering, walking, swimming, via ferratas and more. I suspect, given the size of the campsites in the valley, that it gets pretty busy there in the summer, but it's never difficult in the Alps to get away from the crowds if you want to. Jerry was on hand for the week and gave us daily weather reports, recommendations, and even took me on an orientation run to check out the local boulangeries on the first morning. I reckon we'll be going back some time in the not too distant future. Maybe even for some ice climbing!
 Simon Caldwell 24 Jan 2011

Looks superb!

This, however, looks less good
http://andyturnerclimbing.blogspot.com/2011/01/ecrin-no-ice-festival.html
climbrt 25 Jan 2011
In reply to Toreador:
I suggest not going to the Ecrin when Andy is there, that's the second year it's been really warm for his trip!
 francoisecall 30 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Don't give out all the secrets! Jingi Lee is the correct spelling.
ice.solo 30 Jan 2011

mouth watering stuff.
 Tony & Sarah 31 Jan 2011

Just back 4.30am from the Ecrins we have been out since the New Year. Weather was quite good better then La Grave(4days of rain). Unfortunately the Ice Festival weekend was very warm most teams went to Ceillac which was ok we went rock climbing t-shirts(we agree with Andy the conglonerate is very difficult to read).
Since then the weather became much colder -11c(daytime) at Fournel car park.
There is still load of ice at Fournel (Double Scotch reformed in 3 days) but you do need to reach the far carpark winter tyres (& snow chains if you are two wheel drive).
A great venue with a credible plan B (skiing & rock climbing)
Alpbase accomodation was excellent (our apartment also had terrific view down the valley. Thanks Jerry & Jackie for a brilliant time
We shall return.
 francoisecall 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Tony & Sarah: Would second comment on Alpbase accomodation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...