UKC

ROKT Brighouse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kipling Groove 23 Jan 2011
Anyone know anything about this new wall. The building it's in is the obvious choice for miles around. lets hope it's a success.
banned profile 74 23 Jan 2011
In reply to Kipling Groove: Been discussed on several threads over the last few weeks,try searching the site for either rokt or climbing wall brighouse
In reply to Kipling Groove: HI, it's due to open March 2011. At the moment they have just received planning permission and have started construction. At the moment they are T-nutting 700 plywood boards......

The website is here: http://www.rokt.co.uk/

They certainly look to know what they're doing if the plans are anything to go by. I for one can't wait for it to open.

Things to look forward to include:

Soloing Stunt Mat, DJ nights, Bouldering competitions, Chilli nights, Club Freebies, Outdoor ROKT introduction, ROKT gear shack, Cash prize - routes, Ambassador membership scheme, After school Club, Film nights.

Hope to see you all there in March.

Jamie
In reply to James Paul Robinson: Silo's will be 18mtr from the belay platform and feel amazing to be inside. All graded the same per silo, so you can climb with your friends at say 7a without the noise of kids groups etc. The Lead wall is 20mtrs with some serious overhanging walls. Opposite there is a beginners slab for teaching etc. Stage 2 will give us a 28mtr comp grade lead wall in its own arena with incredible views from the top. Can't wait to get stuck in with the build.

This was posted about a month ago, the build is now under way!!
 Dan Lane 23 Jan 2011
In reply to James Paul Robinson:

Sounds like it's going to be awesome. I might be making the journey from Glossop to visit fairly often by the looks of things.
 PontiusPirate 23 Jan 2011
In reply to Kipling Groove:

It will certainly be a step up from tired old Huddersfield for all my Bratfud and Calderdale lot <waves> I'm not sure how parking is going to work round there though... given I drive past the building they are planning on using every time I go to Huddersfield and know how little parkign there is around the roads there...
PP.
In reply to Dan Lane:
> (In reply to James Paul Robinson)
>
> Sounds like it's going to be awesome. I might be making the journey from Glossop to visit fairly often by the looks of things.

I too can foresee myself making the journey from Leeds. The silo's are going to have dedicated grades so each silo will be just one grade. Like a 7a silo and a 6a silo etc. Saves kids getting in the way of wads and vice versa.
 richardh 23 Jan 2011

looks great, anyone clue me in on what ROKT stands for? can't spot it on the site?
Franklin the pedantic cat 23 Jan 2011
In reply to PontiusPirate:
. given I drive past the building they are planning on using every time I go to Huddersfield and know how little parkign there is around the roads there...
> PP.

There's a huge council car park opposite. I suspect you may have the wrong building. You don't pass it on the way to Hudds.

In reply to Franklin the pedantic cat:

> There's a huge council car park opposite.
I didn't realise it was huge, it looks quite tiny when I've driven past (but then, I'm usually driving when I'm going that way through Brighouse. Having to pay for parking AND for climbing would make the place considerable less attractive.

> You don't pass it on the way to Hudds.
You do if you're coming from Shipley having picked people up on the West of Bradford!

I've thought for a while:
a) how cool a building it would be to photograph in the right light (though I'd have to be on top of an adjacent building to achieve what I'm visualising;
b) wouldn't it make a good (if cold) venue for a climbing centre!

PP.

JSA 23 Jan 2011
In reply to PontiusPirate:

The huge carpark is opposite the site and I believe it's free after a certain time, perhaps 6pm though I will check on this tomorrow when there. There is also a fair bit of land adjacent to the building though I don't know what's happening with that as yet.

When you say you pass the building do you mean on Bradford road? If so Rokt is at the other end of the road you pass.

Work started last monday(17th) and then first two bouldering rooms are coming along nicely, also I wouldn't be too worried about it being too cold as there will be a full heating system installed.
Franklin the pedantic cat 23 Jan 2011
In reply to JSA:

Yep, I still think that James is mistaken too.
In reply to Franklin the pedantic cat:

Ah - I cross from the A643 to the A641 along the road (Mill Royd Street) so I drive under the old pipework and conveyors for Sugden's Mill.

PP.
 4291 23 Jan 2011

> They certainly look to know what they're doing if the plans are anything to go by.

Personally I think the opposite couldn't be more true.
But being fairly local I can only hope that it is a good venue.

JSA 23 Jan 2011
In reply to Mr Plow:
> (In reply to James Paul Robinson)
>
> [...]
>
> Personally I think the opposite couldn't be more true.
> But being fairly local I can only hope that it is a good venue.

Well working on the project at the moment I can safely say that they actually do know what they are doing and that it really will be something for not just the Yorkshire area but for the whole of the north of England.

Bulls Crack 24 Jan 2011

The silos's are leading too?

Anyway it'll probably 'Goodbye Leeds' from me
 Southern Bell 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:

its a hoax!!!!

cant say it enough times! - HOAX, HOAX, HOAX!

Silos? nobody would know what the hells going on, is there a supervisor in each one!, Health and safety will lock it up!

Lord_ash2000 24 Jan 2011
In reply to major stabby: I'm doubting its a hoax, seems to have put a fair bit of effort in for no foreseeable gain for it to be a hoax.

On the other hand it does seem a pretty huge project to just be self built (heard they are getting in randomers to T-nut the panels for them). Going to be some major structural work involved and the wall will have to be up to spec standards wise.

Bouldering looks impressive, Although I have to admit I'm not sold on the silo idea.
 JMarkW 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

those silos all look a bit vertial for my liking..
 Tall Clare 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Mark Westerman:

I'm not convinced by the silos, from the pictures I've seen, but it'll be great to have a decent wall close to Huddersfield.
 monkeyman79 24 Jan 2011
I'm working on Rokt as one of the joiners. No hoax, it's gonna be the muts nuts. Boulder chambers, circit wall, boulder comp wall, traverse wall, lead climbing, and top rope silos. Busy times!!! Less than 5 mins from the M62. Free parking on site and over spill parking on the council car park across the road. 30p per hour, free after 6pm and free on Sundays. I can't wait for it to open so i can get uber fit for some hard routes this year. Any questions welcome
 haworthjim 24 Jan 2011
In reply to monkeyman79: Is it on track for the march opening?
 EBclimbing 24 Jan 2011

Firstly hello to everyone, it’s fantastic to see such interest in ROKT! I will attempt to answer some of the questions that have been put forwards with regards to the wall and explain the reason behind them.

The lead wall will be pretty impressive with a range of angles and again a more volumes and features than you can shake a stick at.

If you come to train here regularly you’ll be able to build up some beastly stamina as all our routes will be at least 20m (climbing from the floor of the silos rather than from a belay platform as previously discussed).

There will be a huge variety of bouldering on offer including a circuit room, 2 large boulder rooms full of roofs, arches, suspended volumes, slabs and anything else you can think of.

With respect to the silos yes they are vertical, in order to maximise the space in these unique structures we are keeping the framework and cladding vertical as opposed to overhanging or slabby. This does not mean that they won’t be featured; we are planning to fill the silos up with lots of funky volumes of all different sizes and get creative with some possible suspended stalactites too.

A lot of research has gone into the design of the wall and the site is fantastic and most importantly we are all very keen climbers (including a lot of the joiners working on site and most of the volunteers).

If you’d like to ask me any other questions feel free to message me on here or the facebook group.

p.s. yes so far we're on schedule

Cheers

Ed_Bailey
 monkeyman79 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Ed_Bailey: Well said Ed!
 chalkyjim 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Ed_Bailey:

Who is that lass on the website? Fit innit
 Southern Bell 24 Jan 2011
In reply to monkeyman79:

Any chance of a few pics of work in progress? ..... To wet the appetite
 Offwidth 25 Jan 2011
In reply to major stabby:

"its a hoax!!!! cant say it enough times! - HOAX, HOAX, HOAX! Silos? nobody would know what the hells going on, is there a supervisor in each one!, Health and safety will lock it up!"

then......

"Any chance of a few pics of work in progress? ..... To wet the appetite"

...????????????????????

Bulls Crack 25 Jan 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

I think the silos are for warheads to aim at Lancashire walls
 Lord_ash2000 25 Jan 2011
In reply to Offwidth: How do you know? Do you have any reason to know its a Hoax?

I don't know either way but I'm curious as to why people would be saying its a hoax. Its not a normal reaction to a large wall being announced
 Offwidth 25 Jan 2011

LOL. Chinese Whispers and MAD with Lancs... wonderful stuff.
 thedatastream 25 Jan 2011

I'm definitely looking forward to this wall opening, it's on my way home from work too for bonus points
 Southern Bell 25 Jan 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
>
> I think the silos are for warheads to aim at Lancashire walls

.... it sounds like the sort of plot that should be uncovered on Al Jazera (or the guardian). Will they need to send in the UN weapons inspectors?

In reply to major stabby: Some pics just been posted on the Facebook site. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116057135099510
Removed User 25 Jan 2011

Even if it's just a bikeshed with some bolt ons it'll be an improvement on Huddersfield Wall.
In reply to major stabby & Offwidth:

If it is a hoax then we must doff our caps to the chaps for going as far as to edit the local evening newspaper!!

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Climbing-wall-plans-get-the.6686211.jp

In reply to wrapped in bacon:
> (In reply to major stabby & Offwidth)
>
> If it is a hoax then we must doff our caps to the chaps for going as far as to edit the local evening newspaper!!
>
> http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Climbing-wall-plans-get-the.6686211.jp

I am sure you must know that Newspapers have long been the vehicle of a well oiled Hoax...this may be a conspiracy.
> (In reply to wrapped in bacon)
> [...]
>
> I am sure you must know that Newspapers have long been the vehicle of a well oiled Hoax...this may be a conspiracy.

As are anonymous and dubious individuals on web site forums lol

There are a lot of pictures of building sites, silos, hangers and broken windows.....but nothing that looks like its 6 weeks away from opening or that couldn't conceivably be a picture from the inside of a disused building alongside some nice illustrations....nope its got to be a HOAX.
In reply to wrapped in bacon:

Hey I want to believe Bacon! but this all feel a bit more like a religion than a climbing wall...
 JSA 25 Jan 2011

I'm currently working on the project and can confirm it is no hoax, but then you would say I'm in on the hoax....right?
Franklin the pedantic cat 25 Jan 2011
In reply to JSA:

I spoke to one of the directors 10 days ago with a view to supplying some steelwork. I also have a chippy mate who's working on the project. If it's a hoax it will be the biggest & best one I've ever come across.....
> (In reply to wrapped in bacon)
>
> Hey I want to believe Bacon! but this all feel a bit more like a religion than a climbing wall...

And so the plot thickens..... Application No: 10/01259/FUL
http://portal.calderdale.gov.uk/WAM/findCaseFile.do?appNumber=10/01259/FUL
http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/environment/planning/search-applications/plana...

They have managed to hack the council systems, bribe the planners and get permission granted...... My god its more convoluted than the bible.... praise the rock gods.

how deep will this hoax go (these guys are pros), and who did shoot JFK?
 Lord_ash2000 25 Jan 2011
In reply to climbing_rocks1983: Well I'm convinced. Good stuff, I look forward to how it turns out.
In reply to climbing_rocks1983:

As anyone from Huddersfield will tell you a cruel promise of a new wall has been on,off and under the table for sometime. However for the love of all things shiny! You do seem to have stumbled over some tangible evidence that this thing might actually happen!

> (In reply to climbing_rocks1983) Well I'm convinced. Good stuff, I look forward to how it turns out.

Of course he could be one of them ......
 Lord_ash2000 25 Jan 2011
In reply to major stabby: Ah I'm not trust me. I design climbing walls for a living and I've had nothing to do with this project I just like to keep my finger of the pulse of whats going on.
> (In reply to major stabby) Ah I'm not trust me. I design climbing walls for a living and I've had nothing to do with this project I just like to keep my finger of the pulse of whats going on.

Well let's hope your good sonny cause if those silos go hot they'll we starting a climbing wall race with the Lanc's!
 grubes 26 Jan 2011
> (In reply to climbing_rocks1983)
>
> As anyone from Huddersfield will tell you a cruel promise of a new wall has been on,off and under the table for sometime.

I thinks a kick in the teeth every time I go to the hudds wall and they have the plans for the new sports centre's wall upshowing you good it could be. Yet no idea when they will actually build the wall.

I don't think it's a hoax as I know three people who are going to work there when it opens. Also well I spoke to owners about the wall last february when they were just starting to plan the project based on the elland site that fell threw.

I just hope its a good wall with interesting routes and problems that are regularly updated. At least it can't be worse than the hudds wall.
> (In reply to Lord_ash2000)
> [...]
>
> Well let's hope your good sonny cause if those silos go hot they'll we starting a climbing wall race with the Lanc's!

Is this the start of the "Cold War" of climbing centres?
I hear there is a plan from the lanc's boys to put a wall in an 40' contianer, and drive it around the yorkshire dales stealing custom as the go! think there are some pictures of it if you have a search around....
 monkeyman79 26 Jan 2011
> (In reply to climbing_rocks1983)
>
> As anyone from Huddersfield will tell you a cruel promise of a new wall has been on,off and under the table for sometime. However for the love of all things shiny! You do seem to have stumbled over some tangible evidence that this thing might actually happen!

If you build it, they will come It's starting to take shape now ladies and gents. Circuit room is nearly done and then it's on to the boulder comp wall. I can't think of a better job as a climber/joiner.
In reply to monkeyman79:
> (In reply to major stabby)
> [...]
>
> I can't think of a better job as a climber/joiner.

Maybe one that will still be there when it opens

Sorry, me coats already on

JSA 26 Jan 2011
In reply to monkeyman79:

Ditto jobwise.

It's coming together nicely now
 EBclimbing 26 Jan 2011
Looking awesome now day by day its looking more and more awesome
 haworthjim 26 Jan 2011
In reply to Ed_Bailey: any photos of tyhe awesomeness?
 Southern Bell 27 Jan 2011
In reply to Ed_Bailey:
> (In reply to Kipling Groove)
> Looking awesome now day by day its looking more and more awesome

Come on Ed, don't flirt with us, show us the goods!!

Also how much is membership?
 carl dawson 29 Jan 2011
Being nosy, I thought it time to go have a look. So off we go to Brighouse this Saturday afternoon.

And it's not a hoax. We were made very welcome (and a cup of coffee) and given a complete guided tour, from top to bottom. And I think I saw Blackpool Tower (or was it Emley Moor mast?) from the 'summit' of the main competition leading wall (not built yet, but the space is Gouffre Berger, if you'll allow the hyperbole). Jaw-dropping.

There are so many nooks and crannies, rooms, caves, alcoves (yes, and silos) that it will take about six visits before you've found every zone. As in: "oh look another bouldering room with suspended stalactites... how come I never saw that before".

There were loads of busy guys, screwing it all together, T-nuts, panels, beams, all flying around. It will be a hectic race to get it open for March but I feel sure that some of the tastiest bits will be ready for action. By next winter, it could well be ranking alongside the biggest and best in Britain. Think of the complexity of The Castle... and then triple the height!

But for me, I think the best bit was the attitude of the guys in charge. Leigh and Euan are very receptive to ideas, very willing to talk about their project and, in so doing, create very strongly the feeling that you'll really want to 'belong' to this development. The words 'climbing community' rather than 'business venture' came to my mind very strongly.

So, good luck with the build, guys: no hoax: see you in March.

Carl and Ruth
 simondgee 29 Jan 2011

according to that news item cost £200k....seems a bit on the low side? you know if they got the building for £1 or are they renting?
 Southern Bell 29 Jan 2011
In reply to simondgee:
> (In reply to major stabby)
>
> according to that news item cost £200k....seems a bit on the low side? you know if they got the building for £1 or are they renting?

Who knows....

One things for sure though, this thing is REAL! It's been officially validated and confirmed, the only hoax is the hoax! If these guys get even half way to their (bold and creative) final objective ROKT will truly be a landmark for indoor climbing progression!

Sparky.Rokt 30 Jan 2011
In reply to carl dawson:
Thanks to Carl and Ruth finally some cler respect for the task in hand.
Im the sparky on the job yes its a business venture but this place is built by climbers for climbers is it really a hoax tell you what come down meet the team and have a guded tour all welcome hard hat and screwdriver required !
 4291 30 Jan 2011
In reply to Sparky.Rokt:
I've never thought of the thing as a hoax and am looking forward to visiting (I guess next winter, as long as it is same price or cheaper than Leeds)
The thing that bothers me is the quality of the overall plan/design. I suppose I am referring to the soloing stunt mats, head cams etc, which I don't quite "get" which makes me doubt a whole load of other things too. I would also point out one glaring mistake in the advertised specification of the wall but I don't know where to send the bill!
 thedatastream 30 Jan 2011
Went down on Friday morning to help with a bit of T-nutting. Nice bunch of guys down there and a really good feel about the place.
Even if only half of the plans come to fruition it is going to be an amazing place to climb!
Sparky.Rokt 31 Jan 2011
In reply to Mr Plow
:If your doubting anything and you want it resolved give them a call they will talk you through it there is minor changers happening all the time to make sure its truly awesome experience the main designer is on site running the job making sure there is no shortcuts or future problems
As for the head cams its for fun all the walls and silos will be camera ed up for you for showing you how to do it and how not to also if you want you could be famous and post all your climbs on YouTube teaching the routes on line.
In reply to Kipling Groove: I got down there at the weekend and its looking really good Circuit room and traversing area are up, framing for the main bouldering area is done and there was work going on both in the silos and the beginning of the 25m overhanging lead wall!
 Bulls Crack 31 Jan 2011
In reply to carl dawson:
> Being nosy, I thought it time to go have a look. So off we go to Brighouse this Saturday afternoon.
>
> And it's not a hoax. We were made very welcome (and a cup of coffee) and given a complete guided tour, from top to bottom. And I think I saw Blackpool Tower (or was it Emley Moor mast?) from the 'summit' of the main competition leading wall (not built yet, but the space is Gouffre Berger, if you'll allow the hyperbole). Jaw-dropping.
>
> There are so many nooks and crannies, rooms, caves, alcoves (yes, and silos) that it will take about six visits before you've found every zone. As in: "oh look another bouldering room with suspended stalactites... how come I never saw that before".
>
> There were loads of busy guys, screwing it all together, T-nuts, panels, beams, all flying around. It will be a hectic race to get it open for March but I feel sure that some of the tastiest bits will be ready for action. By next winter, it could well be ranking alongside the biggest and best in Britain. Think of the complexity of The Castle... and then triple the height!
>
> But for me, I think the best bit was the attitude of the guys in charge. Leigh and Euan are very receptive to ideas, very willing to talk about their project and, in so doing, create very strongly the feeling that you'll really want to 'belong' to this development. The words 'climbing community' rather than 'business venture' came to my mind very strongly.
>
> So, good luck with the build, guys: no hoax: see you in March.
>
> Carl and Ruth

Aye, that all very well but will there be high-gloss paint panels, sub-zero tempreatures and a knackered coffee machine - that's what i ask for a proper wall.
cadvis3d 01 Feb 2011
Evening all...I'm the designer dealing with the architectural side of the project and CDM.

Firstly the idea of such a project being a hoax is stupid and why anyone would believe that is beyond me, but i think this has now been dealt with.

So far everything is going well, with the usual mixture of frustrations associated with such a project and working with a building that has been left empty for over 10 years. It is throwing up challenges, but this is the most exciting thing about working with an existing building!

Euan and Leigh who are the brain childs behind the whole venture, really are commited and focused on what needs to be done and how we do it. They have no illusion to just how much work is ahead of them. The guys on site are a good team, who are working well together and all have the right energy and attitude.

Euan and Leigh should be commended for having the balls to take on this project. England needs more people like this, especially at a time when things are tough.

If anyone would like to see any 'in progress photos' then please just zap me an email and i'll fire some back to you (paul@cadvis3d.co.uk).

Any questions, just ask...

Paul
cadvis3d 03 Feb 2011
build in progress video.....

vimeo.com/19488588

grubes 06 Feb 2011
In reply to cadvis3d:
grabbed the tour today. Wow its bloody huge.

The bouldering area is coming to shape and the circuit room looks almost complete. The shapes look really interesting.

It's got the potential to draw people to travel further.
 Bulls Crack 06 Feb 2011
In reply to grubes:

Please put a 'natural' boulder in if you can afford it, please - like Gloucester.

Probably too expensive
In reply to Bulls Crack: Its all wooden surfaces I'm afraid, natural stuff costs the earth!

Since last week loads more of the bouldering area has been surfaced, the floors have been levelled ready for mats to go down and an immense amount of gunk has been washed out of the silos. I'm also getting a horrific training imbalance from wielding the t-nutting drill :s

Should be getting started setting in the circuit room in the next two weeks, so if anyone has any suggestions or requests feel free to pipe up and we'll take it on board.
 carl dawson 07 Feb 2011
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

Circuits: a few suggestions

1)minimum 35 moves, preferably more, many more (even though tedious to set)- make the difficulty come from the stamina not just the technicality
2)get lots of up/down movement rather than traverses - maximise vertical height travelled
3) keep big slopers to a minimum - they just get chalked up and useless
4) no silly big moves - don't make the grade a function of height - get a short person to check them
5)put on plenty of little screw-ons so that the less technical/less bendy amongst us might be able to find alternative solutions
6)aim for consistency - avoid over-cruxy circuits, otherwise we'll just fall off at the crux rather than at the point of being pumped
7) put any 'rest holds' on steeper ground where there's poor footholds. Acclimatises us to non-rest rests (if you see what I mean)

Looking forward to the first visit.
Carl
 carl dawson 07 Feb 2011
oh yes, and

8) grade them sensibly... as if they were real, long routes outside.
 Bulls Crack 07 Feb 2011
In reply to carl dawson:

9) Administer free pies to successful flashes at your top grade
 Southern Bell 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Not just to do with circuits/bouldering but....

10) I'd like to be receive an annual assessment of my climbing and periodic review (3 months) with goals and achievements set out - the goals could all carried out by using the facilities at Rokt and integrated with the route setting (stamina/strength/power/technique/ etc). I think if you shell out for a full years membership this coaching service would be really useful to getting the most out of it. Of course you could opt out and still be the gifted amateur. Id probably pay a little extra for this service/direction and would prefer over the informal on the night coaching advice that most centres offer.

It would probably help sell more latte's too.

11) Please add ventilation to the Silos - they look like they could cook you in the scorching Yorkshire summers!

Removed User 07 Feb 2011
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

12) Don't make them reach dependant you lanky get
13) Don't put the crux on the last move
14) Don't make grim fulfilling sit starts to circuits.
15) Make one with massive yellow handle everywhere for grubes.
 grubes 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to willworkforfoodjnr)
> 15) Make one with massive yellow handle everywhere for grubes.
Dickhead
mendis 07 Feb 2011
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr: how steep are the lead walls going to be? i know the silos are vert but would the other lead walls be steeper than other local walls like leeds and harrogate?
In reply to mendis: Not my area, but from the look of it they will be fairly similar angles, just with another 9m stuck on top...
 EBclimbing 12 Feb 2011

Work has been coming along well this week, we've started work on the comp boulder wall and the main bouldering chamber with a monster roof for the hardcore heroes.

Floors are being put into the silos ready for cladding to start.

Construction has started on the balcony ready for sipping lattes, marveling at the fine selection of bodies on the comp wall and taking full advantage of our free wifi.

I'm going to be getting stuck into the construction of volumes of all shapes and sizes this coming week... and yes probably be doing some T-nutting as well.

Ed
 carl dawson 13 Feb 2011
In reply to Ed_Bailey:

Keep up the good work guys. And, in particular, keep sending in the regular up-dates; it's keeping us keen through this bleak, grey February. Forget the great outdoors... some of us are training hard for the opening of ROKT!

Carl
 EBclimbing 22 Feb 2011

Well I managed to avoid the t-nutting last week, completed the floors in the silos and started construction on the floor of the boulder comp wall.

Managed to catch a dose of man flu at the weekend so I've had a couple of days off but I'm back on it tomorrow, hopefully to start offering up some of the frames to the comp wall (4 bays that will be 4.5m high and 4m over hanging) tis a badass comp wall

Construction of the main lead wall should start this week as well ( had an ab down it the otherday and it feels fairly huge!)

Big up to the team working at ROKT, they're pulling out all the stops to make the place awesome!
 Southern Bell 22 Feb 2011
In reply to Ed_Bailey:

Anyone got any ideas about entrance fee's yet?

DANNYdjb 22 Feb 2011
A £1 unless you're from Lancashire.
In reply to major stabby: I'm doing this from memory (don't have the flyers with me) so I might be a bit out...

Think its £7 standard, £6 for under-18 and you can buy a book of either 10 or 20 for a 10% discount.
 Southern Bell 22 Feb 2011
In reply to DANNYdjb:

Yer probally, let's do our bit to raise the lanc's out of poverty!

EBclimbing 01 Mar 2011
In reply to Kipling Groove: Haha prices and courses etc to be confirmed soon, we'll also be doing a lot of offers so get on down to us when we're open or get on the website to check them out.

Just want to say as well thank you so much for all the interest in the wall, I sincerely hope we can meet all your hopes for a wall and really genuinely look forward to meeting you all in the very near future!

Ed
 grubes 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Ed_Bailey:
Theres a good article here from the Scallyfax courier yesterday : http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/local/we_re_going_up_the_wall_1_313167...
 EBclimbing 03 Mar 2011
In reply to grubes: haha nice one, so you found our ugly mugs!
 carl dawson 12 Mar 2011
Latest update from my visit to Rokt today…

I was amazed at the progress since I last called in, several weeks ago – these boys are working HARD.

The bouldering cavern is ready for holds and it looks amazing… possibly the most exciting bouldering room in the UK…. Just wait ‘til you see it!

The circuits room is ready to go and will receive its first ‘route’ on Tuesday.

The skeleton for the competition bouldering wall is a true work of art, clearly the product of some CAD genius on acid and, when cladded, will be terrifying. Neat that you’ll be able to sit on the mezzanine and be close enough to smell the sweat….

The materials for the 22m lead wall were lugged indoors this morning.

And the guys who’ve come in off the street to decorate the walls are doing a great job… just look at the three-eyed skull jetting rainbows from its eye sockets. Wow!

Things are just getting more and more exciting.
Great job, Leigh, Euan and all the team…. Can’t wait.
 grubes 12 Mar 2011
In reply to carl dawson:
Hi Carl,
I was down on thursday to help my mate set some problems but the walls were still wet. Did you start to set any circuits today or just had a look?
 carl dawson 12 Mar 2011
In reply to grubes:

Just 'looked' (with glee).
I shall have a dabble with holds 'n things during the coming week.

Carl
 JSA 12 Mar 2011
In reply to carl dawson:

Yeah, it's looking good now, I'll be finishing off the boulder room tomorrow so the painting can be completed. Looking forward setting some problems when the circuit room gets finished.
 grubes 14 Mar 2011
In reply to JSA:
I called in sunday morning before my depot session I got a few pictures they are up here http://www.flickr.com/photos/grubespics/sets/72157626257098492/

Sadly no lights in the roof room so still no good pictures of one of the most impressive areas. I got a few but with only the built in flash and a torch they do not look great
 EBclimbing 20 Mar 2011
In reply to grubes: its looking very very sexy now. The grafitti boys have been in and made it all the more awesome and there is a fine selection of routes and the collection is growing. Should be setting the lower boulder chamber and the comp boulder wall this week!

Exciting times!

Ed
 JSA 20 Mar 2011
In reply to Ed_Bailey:

Yep, it's coming along a treat now, the problems are already being set in various locations throughout the venue.
 Tall Clare 21 Mar 2011

anyone know if there'll be a 'billy no mates'/partners in climb night? I've had a couple of months out and I could do with new partners...
 pog100 21 Mar 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

what's wrong with your old ones? I expect the Fat Boys will be using Brighouse a fair amount. I can't see us being overly loyal to Huddersfield, though hopefully it will mostly be outdoors soon.
 Tall Clare 21 Mar 2011
In reply to pog100:

I've not seen the Fat Boys in ages! good point though. Work's been getting in the way rather a lot recently but looks to be calming down a bit. I'll be looking to climb to the north of the M62 mostly as summer arrives though.
 EBclimbing 25 Mar 2011
In reply to Tall Clare: Yeah, I think some kind of find a partner ni9ght will be running, there will certainly be a board for people to post on looking for a partner. We open a week tomorrow with a silo and all our bouldering completed. After that we'll have the lead wall finished by the 16th (Grand Opening Event) and will open up more and more of the silos through the year.

In stage 2 which is yet to be finalised we have a lot more planned!
We've got the room to double our bouldering facility (come along and see how much we've got at the moment and this should give you a fairly good idea of how much bigger we can be. AND we have room for 2 levels of 14m lead walls AND a 28m high lead wall!

Come along on the 16th of April for the Grand Opening and you can see for yourself!
 carl dawson 01 Apr 2011
I would NEVER have believed that so much could have been done in so little time. What a brilliant and exemplary communal effort. West Yorkshire climbers, friends,partners, painters, electricians, plumbers, joiners: you should be very proud.

You were like bees in the maddest of bee hives.

Carl
In reply to Kipling Groove: Opening tomorrow! Get yourselves down and take a look!
 EBclimbing 02 Apr 2011

We are open for Registration, Tours and FREE bouldering on the comp wall today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FULL BOULDERING FACILITIES AVAILABLE FROM MONDAY 4TH APRIL
 Phill Mitch 02 Apr 2011
In reply to Kipling Groove:What about the lead walls,any idea how long it will be before they are all sorted?
Rudi B 02 Apr 2011
In reply to phill mitchell:

Think they are saying the 16th april, when the "Grand Opening" is!
I think...

But been down today and it is looking goooooood!
 JSA 02 Apr 2011
In reply to Rudi B:

It's been a good day today, lots of visitors and a fair bit of bouldering going on.

The soft opening was today, and as Ed says the bouldering will be fully open on monday. The official opening is on the 16th with a guest appearance from a very well known and respected climber. More details on the facebook page.
 Legionreturns 11 Apr 2011

Went on opening day... and I have to say, absolutely amazing even given the limited opening so far. Can't wait to get up those silo's!

Highly recomended and the answer to the black hole in the middle of Lancashire / Yorkshire! Sure to become a massive venue of national importance.

Well done to all involved - you ROK!
 MeMeMe 14 Apr 2011

So as far as I can see the most important thing you need to know about a wall hasn't been mentioned on this thread.
Namely, where is the nearest good pub?
Anyone know?
 Tall Clare 14 Apr 2011
In reply to JSA:

Still haven't managed to make it down yet - hopefully next week though. It looks great!
 pog100 14 Apr 2011
In reply to MeMeMe:

The Old Ship Inn is a pretty good pub all round, and The Street does a great curry.
 grubes 14 Apr 2011
In reply to MeMeMe:

Brighouse has hundreds of pubs with the nearest being 10 metres from the entrance.
The pub me and my mates have been to was the old ship inn http://www.theoldshipinn.t83.net/ its just around the corner.
Good selection of ales some largers and erdinger. On wednesday nights they sell Andrew jones porks pies (award winning local pies).

Gets my vote. Hope that helps.

There is also a very large weatherspoons in the centre of brighouse which is actuatlly ok (surprising for a 'spoons). Next door to the sppons there is a decent curry place called the street. They do a buffet and the starters are amazing!

Hope that helps.
 pog100 14 Apr 2011
In reply to grubes:

beat you to it!
 MeMeMe 14 Apr 2011

Thanks all, we'll try the Ship Inn then (after maybe a bit of bouldering).
 JSA 14 Apr 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to JSA)
>
> Still haven't managed to make it down yet - hopefully next week though. It looks great!

I've just been down for an hour after work to get the £100 prize comp problem sorted, kinda there with it now, may just need tweaking.

It's going to be a good day on Saturday!
 EBclimbing 22 Apr 2011
In reply to Kipling Groove: Awesome first few weeks nearly a thousand registered already! Thanks everybody so so much!
 EBclimbing 04 May 2011
In reply to Kipling Groove: Thanks to everyone who has bought one of the discounted bouldering passes there isn't many left now... good to see that there's so many people wanting to come to the wall!
 Bulls Crack 04 May 2011
In reply to Ed_Bailey:

How are the lead walls coming along?
 EBclimbing 05 May 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack: They're not far off, I'm in the process of organising route setters for the lead wall and the 2nd silo so some time between the 20th and the end of may we should have 36 top rope routes and around 35 lead routes
 EBclimbing 22 May 2011
In reply to Kipling Groove: Booked in some top level setters over the next few months including some awesome people for the lead wall!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...