UKC

Lofoten Islands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gcandlin 25 Jan 2011
I am turning 30 this year and as a present to myself I am thinking of going to the Lofoten Islands (if I can convince anyone to come!) I have done a bit of research and know its will probably cost me an arm and a leg.

I am thinking of going for 2 weeks but was wondering if others that have been could give me an idea of how much that is likely to cost, assuming I camp at a paying campground and don't go crazy but also don't be too stingy. Not including the price of getting there and back what should I expect to budget for the 2 weeks?

Any other general advice about the place welcome to.

Cheers
G
 HeMa 25 Jan 2011
In reply to gcandlin:
> assuming I camp at a paying campground

Why?

Dozens of really nice places to camp for free. And when you need a shower, Climbers Cafe in Henningsvar and a few other places offer that kind of service for not much.
 d_b 25 Jan 2011
In reply to gcandlin:

A few things I remember from my last trip there a few years back. Can't remember exact prices, so there will be a bit of vagueness

As HeMa said there are some free camp sites, but I don't remember the pay ones being massively expensive.

Food isn't too bad so long as you stick to fairly basic stuff and stay off the booze. If you like fish then you can live very cheaply

If you hire a car it is worth topping it up whenever you see a petrol station, as they tend to be spread out in Scandinavia.

One thing we did which was a lot of fun was to persuade the operators of one of the pleasure boats operating out of Svolvaer to drop us off at the end of Troll fjord for a few days. There is an impressively remote hut just below Isvasstinden that is worth a visit. http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2006/norway_august_2006/Page1.htm... shows that area.

Finally, the Geiter is well worth a visit, but it is the only place in norway where I have ever had to queue for a route.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Jan 2011
 TonyB 25 Jan 2011
In reply to gcandlin:

Accommodation is surprisingly cheap. We stayed here http://www.lofoten-bobilcamping.no/ and it was a two person room cost us each about 12 EUR a night. They gave us a discount because we stayed two weeks. There is a full kitchen with pots and pans, microwave, oven etc. which made cooking our own food much more appealing.

We had a really cheap holiday, but I live in Finland and we drove there with the car full of food and beer and only bought a few fresh things locally.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...