UKC

Liquid rubber for shoe repairs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jasonh 31 Jan 2011
The toe has worn through on one of my climbing shoes after 3 months, but the other is still fine. Realise that is is my lack of finesse at times, so not blaming the shoe. (only boulder indoors)

Is it worth trying liquid rubber to get a couple more weeks out of them? I tried duct tape, but this was no good.

EddInaBox 31 Jan 2011
In reply to Jasonh:

Have you gone through the carcass or just the rubber? there are loads of threads on here, the general consensus is it won't work, however if the hole has only just appeared and you haven't trashed the underlying material you can get them resoled, unless you buy really cheap shoes then it will cost much less than a new pair.
Removed User 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Jasonh: Superglue can work wonders - provided there is sufficient rubber to make a bond. I've done it and had a few extra sessions at the wall.
 mlt 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Jasonh:

Try www.sugru.com
 Matt Taylor 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Jasonh: Tried liquid rubber without success - if you are thinking the 5:10 stuff it is quite expensive and I doubt you will get much value for the cost. On the other hand I have had a lot of success with re-soling which is not so much more expensive and very good (and quick) - I use Cheshire show repairs
 Dr Toph 02 Feb 2011
In reply to Jasonh:

Its difficult to get the mix right for the stealth paint to be hard wearing. That said, Im fairly sure I sneaked a couple of months extra (indoor) life out of a pair of shoes with repeated applications to where the rand was worn through.
 Stanners 02 Feb 2011
In reply to Jasonh:

I have had the same thing happen to me recently. I was told to stick a rubber patch over the split from one of those puncture repair kits for bikes. Has worked really well Obviously if there's a massive split, probably worth getting new shoes but definitely try this.
 shaggypops 02 Feb 2011
In reply to Robster666:
shoegoo from skateboard shops is not bad for running repairs
 jjax 02 Feb 2011
In reply to Robster666:

Nah, I tried the bicycle rubber patch a couple of years ago. Lasted about an hour at the wall, then flapped about like mad and ended up with an even bigger hole as it kept catching on the wall. (but back then my technique was also not great)
 floss_81 03 Feb 2011
In reply to Jasonh:
> The toe has worn through on one of my climbing shoes after 3 months, but the other is still fine. Realise that is is my lack of finesse at times, so not blaming the shoe. (only boulder indoors)
>
> Is it worth trying liquid rubber to get a couple more weeks out of them? I tried duct tape, but this was no good.

Cheshire shoe repair, £30 do a great job and have them back in a week. just had a pair of mine done. V-happy!
 metal arms 05 Feb 2011
In reply to mlt:

Have you used sugru? Does it stick ok to boot rubber?

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...