UKC

Bosigran,Sennen,Land's End,Lizard etc Coastguard Rescue Cover

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wonrek 05 Feb 2011
Ok have I got your attention now?

As climbers we assume that there are some sort of emergency services in place should we need them. Mostly we don't give it a second thought really, just an assumption (I know I did)

However those of us that climb in Cornwall or come down in the summer and bring our racks should maybe take notice....

I'm no activist and I can't use my words to give justice to this cause but in a nutshell would like to bring to the fore the fact that the Coastguard Station at Falmouth is under threat of partial closure.

As I said, I am no wordsmith (at times like this I wish I was) but every climber that lives or visits the area should support this cause. It is the coastguard that intimately knows and understands the areas we frequent as climbers. They know every zawn we frequent and the access issues from both land and sea. Things we rely on if we need help!!!

The current proposal is for a partial night time closure of the station which is highly likely to lead to a loss of skills and experience as people have to move on to other jobs and can only be a bad thing for us as a climbing community.

As I said, I am no wordsmith and I am now going to rely on the local hacks to give you more information .....

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/coastguard

Please support the petition (the one I know of anyway, maybe there is a more pertinent one?)

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/coastguard

Cx
 Tom Last 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Clears:

Hey, less of the 'hacks' please!

Agree though. I phoned them up not long ago to let them know we'd be climbing at Bosi' at night in case our torches worried anyone. Didn't expect them to understand really, but when I told them, they even asked what route I was doing, all very professional. It's not just Falmouth to close though is it, others nationwide I believe?
 francois 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Clears: could you please post a link to the petition might? I couldn't find it in the local paper and I'm keen on supporting the coastguard.
F
 Al Evans 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Clears: Who pays for this at the moment? Is it another tory cut?
Wiley Coyote2 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Clears) Who pays for this at the moment? Is it another tory cut?

I blame those slimey tax exiles who've buggered off to Spain after bleeding this country white and getting educated at our expense. They do it so they can get out of their moral responsibility to pay taxes and support local service. The swine.
 Al Evans 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
> [...]
>
> I blame those slimey tax exiles who've buggered off to Spain after bleeding this country white and getting educated at our expense. They do it so they can get out of their moral responsibility to pay taxes and support local service. The swine.

I hope you are not incuding me in that, I pay my taxes to the UK and the UK alone and always have done in spite of getting nothing back at the moment but a UK passport and driving licence.
Wiley Coyote2 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

Al, What on earth could make you think I meant an old class warrior like you? Perish the thought!
 sutty 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Rotten sod, like shooting fishes in a barrel.
 fred99 06 Feb 2011
In reply to sutty:

Now now, everybody knows that it's fish not fishes !
(The same as it's Peak not Peaks !).
 sutty 06 Feb 2011
In reply to fred99:

Shhhh,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...