UKC

8000m boot options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chrisholl24 09 Feb 2011
Hi all. Struggling here so would appreciate some advice.

No large boots found (Millet, LS, Raichle/Mammut etc...) for Muztag Ata, Cho Oyu etc...

My options now seem to be limited to :
1. get a HA liner for my existing Scarpa Vegas
2. La Sportiva "Baruntse" boot
3. Lowa "Civetta" boot

With a Forty Below K2 Superlight Overboots for Cho Oyu & maybe Muztag ata as well.

Anyone with thoughts on warmest option PLEASE let me know!!

Cheers
Chris

ps why are Millet sizes so weird - people seem to need a size 2 bigger than feet!!
 Damo 09 Feb 2011
In reply to chrisholl24:

I know I suggested Intuition liners to you in another thread, but if your feet really are that big I don't think they make their liners that big - US15?

I'm surprised your Vegas fit though. Are they 48? Was the biggest Millet Everest really too small? Because they pack-out very badly, giving you maybe half a size after a week or two of constant use.

Both Vegas and Civettas are old technology, unnecessarily stiff in the upper for what you want, but I'm not sure the Baruntse inner is warm enough. ie. warmer than an Intuition liner. If it was, I think Baruntses plus the 40Below overboot would be OK for MA and probably for CO.

You'll just have to pay more attention than normal to things like not putting on cold boots, warming the inners in your bag, maybe the shells too, staying very well hydrated, eating plenty of food, avoiding vasoconstrictors and maybe experimenting with battery-heated inner soles and/or chemical heat packs. With both the latter though, you definitely need to test them before you use them high. The chem packs sometimes don't work, or are too tight or uncomfortable in your boot. I've not used the battery-heated insoles.
 Milesy 09 Feb 2011
Chris - Why creating new threads constantly for the same topic.
In reply to chrisholl24: What size do you need? I have some Millets in decent condition that I'd happily sell. Will check size, am usually 10-10.5, so will check what size in Millet they are. Text me on O78O2888O72 if you want.
chrisholl24 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Milesy: Previous threads seemed to have stagnated/ground to a halt and are well down the list so I thought I'd try and rekindle replies and maybe generate ideas from new viewers.

I am so sorry to waste your time - if it is the same subject and a bore to you why not pass onto the next one and leave me to try and sort out my boot problem?

Cheers

ps no Milesy,I'm joking, I found some size 23 Millet and am your and my wasting my own time by "constantly creating new threads" and deliberately trying to piss you off into the bargain!

pps I haven't really found any yet
chrisholl24 10 Feb 2011
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: Sorry but my UK12.5 - 13 feet wont like being put in your boots. Nothing personal but thanks for the offer.
Cheers - Chris
 davidgent 10 Feb 2011
In reply to chrisholl24:

For Millet Everest try contact peglers in Arundel, Sussex.

http://www.peglers.co.uk/2_Millet-Everest-GTX.htm

Sizes go up to UK14.
 Milesy 11 Feb 2011
In reply to chrisholl24:

I am only saying it would be more constructive to post extra info in your other threads or add more information instead of clogging the board up with multiple posts about the same thing.
Chris Szymiec 07 Mar 2011
In reply to chrisholl24:

Hey,

1. get a HA liner for my existing Scarpa Vegas [NO]
2. La Sportiva "Baruntse" boot [NO]
3. Lowa "Civetta" boot [ NO NO NO]

I would put aside about 500usd and purchase some MIllet or Sportiva 8000M boots in Kathmandu. They are widely available both new and used all over town. Bring a guy from your local outfitter to help get you the best deal.

500 bucks is a fair price for your toes and as an investment in your expensive expedition.

Cheers
Chris Szymiec
http://www.ganeshadventures.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...