UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Pete Rhodes - Sron Ulladale solo ascent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 10 Feb 2011
Pete Rhodes on the approach, 2 kbAn account of a solo ascent of Sron Ulladale on Harris in the Hebrides, Scotland.

Pete Rhodes drives, cycles and walks to reach his goal - a true adventure on what is perhaps Britain's steepest and most intimidating cliff.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3419

Offwidth 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

I'd have thought so. He's an enthusiastic young aid climber.
 Mowglee 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans: Do have any evidence to suggest otherwise?
 Enty 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

What you talking about? Muir wall at 22, Nose in 12 hours.

Well done Pete - hardcore!!

E
 NickD 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to NickD) Well do you think it is meant to be true?

I neither know nor care. I just thought your post was funny
 Al Evans 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Enty: Ok, I'm sorry, it just seems such an unlikely thing to want to do, If I'm wrong full apologies to the man.
 Harry Holmes 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans: im pretty sure this is true
 royal 10 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:
If he really cared about the environment he would have swum to the island dragging his gear in a water tight bag.
Sounds like a right adventure, nice work.
In reply to Al Evans: Al, usually your posts on here are the voice of reason, this was a bt of a slip-up, well done on apologising, I know someone who has been to patagonia with him...I don't doubt the truth at all ...
 Simon Caldwell 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
> it just seems such an unlikely thing to want to do

Sounds like just the sort of adventure that a hard aid climber should aspire to!
 Al Evans 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Toreador: Agreed and I'm deeply sorry, I didn't know his reputation and history, it's a very adventurous thing to do, and just the sort of thing I approve of, I just felt there were some inconsistences in his report, like how he forgot his rations, forgot to clip the bolt etc, yet it all seemed so planned at first.
 Mark Collins 10 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Top banana, excellent adventure, very inspiring!
 deaddogsdie 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

Al

What an odd response: why would you doubt him?

This is definitely not fiction - I know Pete well and can assure you of the truth of this story.

To my mind it was a bloody good effort and simultaneously captures the adventurous spirit of Pete's attitude towards climbing, and the serious potential of the Scottish mainland and island hills. This adventurous attitude is something that we should all aspire to, and I find it completely bizarre that the first thing you thought to do was post something on here (prima facie based on absolutely no evidence, having never met the guy, or even having bothered to find out anything about him and his climbing) to say that you think he's talking rubbish.

"Inconsistencies"!? Lad climbs hard aid route solo in crap conditions in single 21-hour push and forgets a couple of bits of kit and to clip one piece of gear on the brink of hypothermia... Is inconsistent because...?

To Pete: Thanks for posting this - a nicely written piece.

DDD
 Al Evans 10 Feb 2011
In reply to deaddogsdie: I can't apologise much more, nor can I explain my reasons any more. Good effort Pete!
 J0 10 Feb 2011

Great Proper spirit!
 iain miller 10 Feb 2011

I don't know Pete, but unless I'm mixing people up then I believe Mr. Rhodes is in prep for a much more pressing matter in Norway. If so, good luck Pete!
 DJayB 10 Feb 2011
In reply to iain miller: That is correct. Hope he pulls it off.
 franksnb 10 Feb 2011

pete i salute you.. i would also never go climbing with you, you sound like a nutter

brilliant little story, akin to psycho vertical but shorter. pete and andy sound like the climbing partner they have always dreamed of

Wow, wish I had the chance and more importantly the balls to go and do that!
 CragRat11 10 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Quality story, shame about the hastey and unpleasant comments at the top of the forum. Wouldn't expect anything less from you old UKC crones though eh.
 simon_D 10 Feb 2011
In reply to The Green Giant: well done Pete, a beautiful line up a fine piece of rock, in Scotland! Good luck in Norway, don't forget yur gels!!
 George Fisher 10 Feb 2011

I'm not sure if I should ask but... What's he ever done on grit?
 Matt_b 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Gfunk: I belayed him on a severe once. I can provide dates and venue if required.
 George Fisher 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Matt_b:

Did he use a portaledge?
 Fidmark 10 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Inspiring to say the least.
 Michael Ryan 10 Feb 2011

Madness.

Reminds me of Jason 'Singer' Smith who soloed Midgard Serpent, Mt Thor on Baffin island over two weeks…walked in by himself too I think.

Same mad look in your eye Pete!

Thanks for that, enjoyed reading about your adventure and many more to come I'm sure.

Mick
 Peter Rhodes 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: That is a very generous comparison Mick, thanks!

I'm really happy everyone is enjoying the story, its one of my all time proudest and I'm so glad to be able to share it with a wide audience.

Cheers

Pete
 AdamBrown 10 Feb 2011

Great Article! Loved reading it. Inspiring and paints the picture perfectly, excellent effort Pete.
 Al Evans 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Peter Rhodes: Hi Pete, please accept my apologies for doubting your report, it's such an unusual feat in these days of climbing walls and sport climbing. Great credit to your endevour, it's just that you can't believe everything you read on here. Again congratulations on a fine adventure.
Al
 Michael Ryan 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Peter Rhodes) Hi Pete, please accept my apologies for doubting your report, it's such an unusual feat in these days of climbing walls and sport climbing. Great credit to your endevour, it's just that you can't believe everything you read on here. Again congratulations on a fine adventure.
> Al

A noble apology Al.

By the way - climbing in the UK isn't all sport climbing and walls, and those are but two great sub-genres of climbing. There's a lot more going on these days - every week!

Alasdair 10 Feb 2011

Very good article. Well done!
 Calum Nicoll 10 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Awesome. What's the route called, is there more than one aid route on Sron Ulladale?
 Roberttaylor 10 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: I need to try aiding
Spit 5.12 10 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: well done indeed. Last night i read about alpinists from the thirties cycling across the alps to do their climbs. this is in the same spirit . good writing too , cheers
 Michael Gordon 10 Feb 2011

Wow, a historic ascent! When did he climb it?
In reply to Calum Nicoll:
> (In reply to UKC Articles) Awesome. What's the route called, is there more than one aid route on Sron Ulladale?

The Scoop and Yes
 Calum Nicoll 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Michael Gordon: Thanks, what grade does it get?
 Garson 10 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Awesome Pete - Nice one
In reply to Calum Nicoll:

A3 (free version at E6)
 Brendan 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Peter Rhodes:
Nice article Peter, enjoyed it.
How did you get into aid climbing? I'm quite inspired to give it a shot but it's not something you see many people doing.
Yrmenlaf 10 Feb 2011

Excellent artical. Nice to see that there is a sense of adventure in the world.

Y.
I was totally inspired by hearing Pete casually describe this story during his lecture with George Ullrich at Kendal last year. It was so understated and seemed like such an amazing (and slightly crazy) thing to do, so I wrote to him and asked him to put it together for UKC.

Glad it is going down well.

Alan
 BALD EAGLE 11 Feb 2011

Excellent article and inspiring adventure Pete well done you!
 ChrisJD 11 Feb 2011

Great effort Pete. Epic final push and descent!
 Mick Ward 11 Feb 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

It's a real grassroots breath of fresh air - to mix metaphors.

When I was a nipper I remember reading about one of the Scots pioneers, Raeburn, I think, cycling a long way (35 miles?), and doing a hefty walk in to one of the big Scots crags such as The Shelterstone or Creag An Dubh Loch. He did the first ascent of (I think) the first route on the crag, at then cutting edge (Scots!) Severe, then walked out, then cycled back home. All on his lonesome. I remember thinking, "F*ck me!"

And that's exactly the same response I felt reading this. Ballsy stuff, in the Raeburn tradition. Slightly crazy - but thankfully not too crazy.

Mick
 Offwidth 11 Feb 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

It was a very enjoyable talk. Most of us were there to see George. Pete's addition was a lovely bonus.

Excellent article, well done.
 Adam Long 11 Feb 2011

Fine effort Pete, great to see some close-ups of the route too, not the places you would stop to snap if free climbing!
In reply to Calum Nicoll: or M11+
 Sam Johnson999 15 Feb 2011
Pete i remember sat on that bridge in eds and your wife saying you were a crazy dude. good effort man.
Al you made me laugh im sure he doesnt care about your comment.
 Al Evans 15 Feb 2011
In reply to Sam Johnson999: Pete has e-mailed me direct, he certainly doesn't care and has assured me he was not put out by the comments.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...