UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: Profile - Sam Elias - Hard Ice and Mixed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Feb 2011
Sam Elias, 2 kbThis week's Friday night video comes from Black Diamond.

"Sam Elias may have been a ski racer growing up but now he's a rock and ice hard charger with numerous 5.14 and M12 redpoints and first ascents to his credit..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60316

Paul Crusher R 11 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News: "but now he's a rock and ice hard charger" oh dear! how camp?
 James91 11 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News:
I have to say I rather enjoyed that video!
Ackbar 11 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News: If that was mixed climbing it was a 900:1 mix rock to ice.
 ali k 11 Feb 2011
In reply to Ackbar:

If that was what top-level mixed climbing is like now then it's confirmed my suspicion that I will never understand it.

Ice climbing I get. But this I just cannot fathom. I'm not denegrating the achievements - I'm sure they're incredibly hard routes to do either as rock or mixed routes and take a lot of skill etc. But why not wait until that small amount of ice disappears and then just rock climb it?

Each to their own I suppose...
 Tophe 11 Feb 2011
that guy is a douche!
 Misha 11 Feb 2011
In reply to ali k:
I think what he refers to as mixed climbing we would call dry tooling with a bit of ice, given that the rock is pretty much dry.
 neil the weak 11 Feb 2011
In reply to Misha: I think we are the only country in the world though that deliberately waits till our winter routes with rock on them are "white". Everyone else worldwide calls it mixed, so seems fair enough to me. At least the route actually had proper ice on it, rather than just being a summer HVS with a sprinkle of hoar frost.....
banned profile 74 12 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News: the route callum nichol climbed at millstone had more ice on it than that!!
 Morgan Woods 12 Feb 2011
In reply to ali k:

good question....i love the scrape of crampons and axes on rock (where ethics allow) so i think this steeper mixed/dry tooling is an extension of more traditional forms. It certainly allows for more gymnastic moves and i think generally it tends to be on rock that is chossy enough not to get climbed on in summer. Cant speak for the venues in this rather good video but i guess Rifle is a popular climbing venue so not sure how these routes co-exist.

Others - Those denigrating are probably just the usual UKC mix of anti-americanism and armchair punterism which i don't understand.

To put it into perspective i've done ridge climbs in scotland that have the same ratio of rock to ice....does that make me a douche?

edit - approximate quote : "both black diamond and me are big into skiing and climbing " or whatever is perhaps a bit douchey :p
 gcandlin 12 Feb 2011
In reply to iamchris: If being a "douche" lets u spend 6 months of the year traveling the world and climb full time, then I would like to be a douche please
 tom290483 12 Feb 2011
In reply to gcandlin:

good vid, good climbing.
"World Class Mixed Climb" - do me a favour. That's some guy who can't climb rock, frigging his way upwards and chipping the rock, finding an excuse to use his axes on about 6' of ice. The millstone guys did better. How on earth can the likes of Black Diamond support this sort of shit?
 ricky6386 12 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News: I enjoyed the video, love how everyone sits sharpening thier claws waiting for new topics on UKC, hiss hiss
 hexcentric 12 Feb 2011
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:
> That's some guy who can't climb rock, frigging his way upwards and chipping the rock, finding an excuse to use his axes on about 6' of ice. The millstone guys did better.

Not to seem to supportive of him here, as he comes across as a bit of a pretentious twit in the video but he climbs 8b+/c. Not sure that is a guy who "can't climb rock". Also not wishing to sound like a broken record but many,many UK mixed climbs (babylon, hurting, fallout etc etc etc) have no ice on them at all, his did have some.
Tom Knowles 12 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News:

I thought the video was great, the climbing looked like a lot of fun and the guy seemed to be enjoying himself. Surely that's why we climb, for enjoyment, whether instant or retrospective?
 Ramon Marin 12 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News:

hahahah I love how positive this forums are! They guys is just having fun and getting out climbing.

For those in the dark, those route are probably impossible to rock climb, just check the 2mm hook he's using. And they are probably wet in summer, so those route would never be rock climbs anyways.

ali k 12 Feb 2011
In reply to Ramon Marin:
[Apologies for picking your post to reply to - I'm just playing devil's advocate here! And I realise that this specific crag is a bad example, as it seems like it was developed by a local guy purely as a dry tooling/mixed climbing venue]

BUT I'm just trying to understand the justifications.

> they are probably wet in summer, so those routes would never be rock climbs anyway.
Kilnsey is normally wet in summer and winter but I suspect people might be a bit upset if this were the excuse they used to start dry tooling there if a little patch of ice formed.

> For those in the dark, those routes are probably impossible to rock climb, just check the 2mm hook he's using.
Surely sport routes at the cutting edge are blanker than dry tooling routes, with far smaller holds? I've never been dry tooling or mixed climbing in my life, so excuse my ignorance, but I imagine it'd be harder to dry tool something like Golpe Estado, Jumbo Love, Biographie or any of the F9a+ routes at Santa Linya than to sport climb them? But then I have no idea. Purely speculating.
 Morgan Woods 12 Feb 2011
In reply to Ramon Marin:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> hahahah I love how positive this forums are!

true...and while there a quite a few on here saying they don't approve or whatever i reckon 100% of people would love to have his job.
 Andrew Smith 12 Feb 2011
In reply to Morgan Woods: Yep, the green eyed monsters rearing their ugly heads. Its just plain anti USA drival, any excuse to have a pop. I actually love the USA climbers attitude, it's very positive and happy, unlike the miserable, winging, moaning tw*ts that frequent this forum so often. One day, certain sectors of the UK opinion might grow up and realise that climbing actually goes on outside this isle with thier own rules.
 TobyA 13 Feb 2011
> "World Class Mixed Climb" - do me a favour. That's some guy who can't climb rock, frigging his way upwards and chipping the rock, finding an excuse to use his axes on about 6' of ice. The millstone guys did better. How on earth can the likes of Black Diamond support this sort of shit?

Please tell me you have onsighted VIII,8 (or maybe 7c+) so you sound a bit less silly saying this.
 gcandlin 13 Feb 2011
In reply to Andrew Smith: Agreed
gritstoneclimber 13 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Impressive direct aid climbing.
 AJM 13 Feb 2011
In reply to ali k:

I suspect he means a bit wetter than that - kilnsey dries out sometimes at least.

Also, to be fair here the tooling routes came first - kilnsey is in no way a comparison in that respect.

As for the really hard routes you may be right although I've always wondered whether pockety stuff might be easier as you stick the blade in the mono and hold the juggy handle rather than putting your finger in the mono.
 CragRat11 13 Feb 2011
> "World Class Mixed Climb" - do me a favour. That's some guy who can't climb rock, frigging his way upwards and chipping the rock, finding an excuse to use his axes on about 6' of ice. The millstone guys did better. How on earth can the likes of Black Diamond support this sort of shit?

Your an idiot!
Great video.

Andrew Smith 13 Feb 2011
In reply to gritstoneclimber: Come round to my house and I will pay 100 pounds to comic relief if you can do the same number of pull up's on a pair of axes's, that are similar in length to the route. Come on, are you big as your mouth is?
gritstoneclimber 14 Feb 2011
In reply to Andrew Smith:

I stand by what I say . IMPRESSIVE climbing - the guy is clearly a good climber, strong etc but it is direct aid climbing.
I do not think this forum is for trading insults.
By the way where do you live?
 Jonny2vests 14 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Video didn't work for me, couldn't fit his ego on the screen.
bull2010face 14 Feb 2011
In reply to gcandlin:
> (In reply to iamchris) If being a "douche" lets u spend 6 months of the year traveling the world and climb full time, then I would like to be a douche please

Second that
 Andrew Smith 16 Feb 2011
In reply to gritstoneclimber: Warrington.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...