UKC

Cleaning Down sleeping Bags and Jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
m0unt41n 14 Feb 2011
I need to get a couple of down sleeping bags and down jackets cleaned. Have used W E Franklins before who have been good, but not their £35 per item. P H Designs web site suggests ClassiClean of Harrogate at £12 - £15.
Jackets are PHD and one bag is.

Nikwax Down Wash says to have 3-4 season bags professionally cleaned.

Anyone used ClassiClean or have other recommendations?

Bags and Jackets were expensive, so prepared to pay reasonable rate, but Franklins £140 for the 4 seems daft.

Thanks

jon 14 Feb 2011
In reply to m0unt41n:

This company http://www.mountaineering-designs.co.uk/ restored our two sleeping bags like new.
m0unt41n 14 Feb 2011
In reply to jon: They are good to refurbish bags but mine just need a basic clean.
 Matt Rees 15 Feb 2011
In reply to m0unt41n:

I just cleaned my mountain equipment down jacket this weekend. I put it in the top loader washing machine on cold, and then put it in the tumble drier on the lowest heat setting (no fabric softener). if my washing machine had a "gentle" setting I would have used that too.

I had to run it twice through the drier, and I separated out some of the "clumps" that i could feel in some of the panels between spins. It's come out clean, and perfectly puffy, with no clumps remaining.

I'll admit to having been a bit nervous beforehand, but they're the instructions sown on to the jacket. maybe i got lucky..
 SerenGib 15 Feb 2011
In reply to Matt Rees: Adding 2 or 3 tennis balls in the drier can help removing "clumps".
m0unt41n 15 Feb 2011
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Franklins are £140 for the 2 bags and 2 jackets.
Classiclean are £75 for 2 bags and 2 jackets, both include postage back.
Since PHD recommend Classiclean I will use them. Speaking to them they seem to know as much as Franklins do and Franklins appear to be stuck with "its £35 per item no matter what the size" policy.
 jon 15 Feb 2011
In reply to m0unt41n:
> (In reply to jon) They are good to refurbish bags but mine just need a basic clean.

No. They offer a basic cleaning service too. I sent my 40 year old bag to be completely refurbished, down added etc. Despite loosing out on profits from this they phoned me (in France) and told me all it needed was a clean. They were right. They did add down to my wife's and the result is we now have two new sleeping bags.
 mdh 15 Feb 2011
In reply to m0unt41n:

Not sure about the sleeping bag but I have washed my down jacket, vest and a primaloft jacket a number of times. Basically wash them on cold with either tech wash or a wool/silk detergent. Then tumble dry them with three tennis balls in the drum at the same time. The tennis balls mean that the down regains its loft.

cheers

Matt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...