UKC

Narrow feet – Shoe Recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hobblingfool 16 Feb 2011
After a bit of user knowledge here. I have always had a bit of trouble buying climbing shoes because of narrow (Low volume) feet. Have bought a few pairs in hope over the years that turned out to be just too wide with continued use and always end up getting another pair of 5:10 Anasazi lace ups. Any recommendations of shoes to try from people experiencing similar problems would be good, especially slippers/velcros suitable for mid-grade bouldering.

Some companies I know do woman’s versions of shoes with a lower volume but that’s no good if you have size 12 street shoes.

Cheers.
 Mr Powly 16 Feb 2011
In reply to hobblingfool:

Always found Anasazi lace ups fit best, velcros often too baggy, it's not as though they're a bad option to have in any circumstances.
 Eagle River 16 Feb 2011

Do a search:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/search.html?cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&a...

lots of talk about this recently.
OP hobblingfool 16 Feb 2011
In reply to Eagle River: Thanks for that, seems like I already use the best option. Maybe when the new 5.10 hornets come out us skinny feet people will have another good option.
 Jenny C 16 Feb 2011
> Some companies I know do woman’s versions of shoes with a lower volume but that’s no good if you have size 12 street shoes.

I was going to say are you small enough to fit into women's models

As you are already doing, simply try loads and loads of models to find what suits your feet. A decent shop may be able to advise on the narrower/wider models they stock but this is only ever going to be a guideline.

FWIW I would say look at laces over velcro as generally you can cinch in more of the width, also a shoe which laces right down to the toe might be handy - although these will still only help if it is the right shape for your foot.

In reply to hobblingfool: I find that the only shoes I seem to get on well with are Sportiva, which is unfortunate because they tend to be the most expensive. I seem to have a high instep and arch so this needs to be considered. The other evening I tried on some Evolve Ponta shoes in my normal shoe size of 42 and they were very comfortable, too comfortable in fact and any stretching would have rendered them useless so I tried the next size down 41.5 and could not even get my foot into it. Crazy.

Al
 Dominic Green 16 Feb 2011
white lace anasazis or evolv pontas?
 Dominic Green 16 Feb 2011
I have narrow feet too btw. I am street size 11 and take a UK10 in Anasazis, similar in evolv if i remember, but might go down 1/2 size to uk 9.5.

kindof depends on the shape of your toe box too! my feet are stupidly narrow, baggy heels in pretty much every shoe on the market even when several sizes too small and i find the la sportiva katana laces fit best, good idea to buy them way too small and stretch them out (you can do that well with leather shoes like the katana) if you have a wider toebox than the katana likes then i'd look at the 5.10 galileo, its got a slightly wider toe box that will let you downsize to take volume out of the rest of the foot without crushing your little toes... hope that helps
 EddInaBox 08 Mar 2011
In reply to people with narrow feet:

I have always used this lacing pattern:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straighteuropeanlacing.htm
It allows one to pull the two sets of eyelets a little closer together than the standard crossing lacing where the laces come up through each hole, but is easier to pull tight than the over under crossing pattern. It doesn't really help with sloppy heels though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...