UKC

Slate Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 20 Feb 2011
What's going on with the access to the slate quarries above Llanberis? Was up there yesterday with the intention of climbing, and came accross some signs saying no climbing, and a rather expensive looking new fence. There were a few people climbing despite the signs, but we went off somewhere else as it is obviously banned. Shame as I was looking forward to trying some slate
 McGuinness 20 Feb 2011
In reply to balmybaldwin: Would that be Dali's hole or another area?
 chrisprescott 20 Feb 2011
In reply to balmybaldwin: If you're referring to the fence around Dali's Hole its been there a while now, also the signs saying no climbing have also been there for quite some time. I'm not sure exactly what the latest access conditions are, but if you have a look on the BMC website they will have more info.
 McGuinness 20 Feb 2011
In reply to balmybaldwin: If it is Dali's (as I suspect it might be) don't bother going there. There are a couple of decent lines, but the wealth of good routes are elsewhere, and only a few minutes walk away. You'd be silly not to check out Australia, California, Serengeti, Never Never land, rainbow walls or Vivian. I know it's difficult without the new slate guide, but the Groundup website have a couple of sample pages to download.
As for access to Dali's, I think the BMC are negotiating that they will take it over (maybe they'll be stuck with California as well). Shouldn't be long now until we hear something official. It was probably brought up in the BMC meeting in nantperis. I know the lines need to be cleaned and rebolted before any climbing is allowed there again.
 ark05 20 Feb 2011
access is as it always was. first hydro never allowed climbing. They have come to accept it happens an turned a blind eye up until this dalis business... all those signs been about for ages.. new ones where put in after clash of the titans, along with that fence around dalis. its a way of first hydro to avoid gettin the blame for any accidents. steer clear of dalis till the BMC are done tho. go somewhere that you cant be seen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...