UKC

down jackets ok damaged if they get wet through a hard shell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dan ely 20 Feb 2011
How do you find down jackets if they get wet through a hard shell? Dont they get damaged?
banned profile 74 20 Feb 2011
In reply to dan ely: my old one just tended to clumop a bit but was ok when dried out properly(not in a tumble drier).
 Run_Ross_Run 20 Feb 2011
In reply to dan ely:

Yes, wet is wet.

Just dry it poperly.

Darren.
 The New NickB 20 Feb 2011
In reply to dan ely:

What do you mean by damaged?

A wet down jacket is pretty useless, loses its insulation properties, but if dried out properly there should be no lasting damage.

To be honest I stopped using down jackets years ago, modern insulation such as primaloft is more better in the wet UK climate.
OP dan ely 20 Feb 2011
In reply to The New NickB: thats what i thought but i am intreasted in some new opinions as im about to buy a jacket. Maybe modern down jackets could poss be better?
m0unt41n 20 Feb 2011
In reply to dan ely: They are as likely to get wet from perspiration if under a waterproof jacket since the sweat is going to have to go through the down as from any moisture through the hard shell.
 The New NickB 20 Feb 2011
In reply to dan ely:

What is your intended use?
 Ander 20 Feb 2011
In reply to dan ely:

Dan- tbh you don't really want to be wearing a down jacket under a hardshell.

As someone above said, get primaloft or similar synthetic if you're thinking there's much chance of it getting wet.

And IMHO you should only really ever wear a big jacket- whether down or primaloft- as a top layer.
 Ander 20 Feb 2011
In reply to dan ely:

http://www.psychovertical.com/belayjacket

Of course, down jackets are great for wearing to the pub, or following the missus round M&S
OP dan ely 20 Feb 2011
In reply every one here:
thanks for help people.
I had to make last min dissicians before buying a primaloft jacket (nf redpoint, had before and v good) on ebay or choosing a very nice down one on ukc. I chose the synthetic as it is bound to get wet from my hardshell leaking on grand days out (rab lotok- not amazing).
ta
In reply to dan ely:

If it gets wet and you leave it wet for a few days, it's likely to get mildew. Which probably won't do it a lot of good.

Best dried out ASAP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...