UKC

Kinder Scout fencing project Q&A

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Martin Kocsis, BMC 21 Feb 2011
The National Trust is about to embark upon Phase 1 of a project to fence Kinder Scout. Ther whys and wherefores of the project are explained here:

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=4146

(with thanks to Nick Selwood of the NT for the text)

Martin
 Offwidth 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC:

Thanks for putting this up.

My thoughts are as many access points as there are approach lines and I don't care much if they are stiles or whatever.
 toad 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC)
>
> Thanks for putting this up.
>
> My thoughts are as many access points as there are approach lines and I don't care much if they are stiles or whatever.

Not a problem for me, but my ma in law, who is still a very keen walker, has real problems with NT standard step over stiles as her hips (one titanium) won't let her swing her leg that high. Whilst I wouldn't suggest gates everywhere, where fences cross main paths, they should consider gating.

This work is long overdue as most of the big bare peat areas look like the Atacama, but I hope they will do a proper restoration of the blanket bog and not just convert it to heather moor.
 CarolineMc 21 Feb 2011
In reply to toad:

> Not a problem for me, but my ma in law, who is still a very keen walker, has real problems with NT standard step over stiles as her hips (one titanium) won't let her swing her leg that high. Whilst I wouldn't suggest gates everywhere, where fences cross main paths, they should consider gating.

I'd agree that having just stiles will limit access for some people. A mix of half gates, half stiles would be great and help a lot of people who aren't so flexible. Stiles with more than two steps would be an improvement too - shallower steps would make them more accessible. Dog hatches are also really important. C-:
 sutty 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC:

Access points, perhaps a letter to all the outdoor mags and websites asking people which way they have gone on and off Kinder in the last five years, to gauge where to put them. On main paths gates should be used for old farts like me whose legs do not bend so easily on stiles, though stiles could be used from access points like Edale YHA or Seal Flats.
stevo 30 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: another one here for dog hatches if gates arnt to be used it can be a really messy job picking a dog up at this time of year and its not nice having stagnant mud smeared over expensive gear!
 toad 21 Feb 2011
In reply to stevo 30:
> (In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC) another one here for dog hatches if gates arnt to be used it can be a really messy job picking a dog up at this time of year and its not nice having stagnant mud smeared over expensive gear!

+1, plus there's a greater chance of punters breaking the wire to squeeze a dog under - used to happen to my fences a lot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...