UKC

Mountain marathon footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ruttingstag 23 Feb 2011
What footwear do people generally wear for mountain marathons lasting for several days. Do you just wear normal fell running shoes that you'd wear on say a 10 mile fell race, or do they tend to opt for something waterproof with a bit more stability and cushioning.
 ablackett 23 Feb 2011
In reply to ruttingstag: Most people go for inov8's on 2 day events like the LAMM or OMM, something like this is popular.

http://www.lakesrunner.com/welcome-to-lakes-runner/fell-running/fell-shoes/...

Or

http://www.lakesrunner.com/welcome-to-lakes-runner/mens-shoes/off-road-shoe...

The X-talon are fantastic on my feet, really light and you forget you are wearing them. No need for added cushioning or support in my opinion, just get something comfortable and grippy. Nothing grippier than the mudclaw exists.
 galpinos 23 Feb 2011
In reply to ruttingstag:

I use my Innov8 Mudclaws for 2 day MMs like the LAMM or OMM.
 DH3631 23 Feb 2011
In reply to ruttingstag: The large majority of people in UK MMs eg LAMM, OMM etc wear fell shoes, Inov8, walsh or whatever fits you best. Most of the time you will not be on a path and may be on steep grass and/or contouring, so if anything more agressive soles rather than trail shoes are good. Personally I usually go shin deep in a bog 10 yards after the start so gore tex would be a waste of time. You do see a small number of folk in the easier classes in proper boots/gaiters but personally I would find them a bit of a pain even though like many I probably spend less than half the time running.
ruttingstag 23 Feb 2011
In reply to ablackett: So, for 2 day events, fell running shoes. I'm looking at running / walking the Pennine way so would be out for a week or more and carrying more weight and thought fell running shoes would be a bit "racey" and leightweight walking boots not ideal for running in, so was looking for something in between that people may have used for similar purposes and could recommend.
In reply to ruttingstag:

For that I'd go with one of the Inov8 trail shoes - decent grip on the sole plus reasonable cushioning but not too much.

ALC
 Simon Caldwell 23 Feb 2011
In reply to ruttingstag:

For mountain marathons I wear Mudclaws.

But that's because most of the route is away from any paths and the added grip is invaluable. For something like the Pennine Way which is on paths throughout, I'd go for a more comfortable shoe, probably Montrail Highlanders. ie a trail running shoe rather than a fell running shoe.
ice.solo 23 Feb 2011
In reply to ruttingstag:

for a few multiday runs and trail marathons i wear sportiva crosslites. i forgo cushioning in favour of precision - others may not.

forget waterproof unless its very cold (as in ice is an issue). if its a feet problem take a few pairs of light dry socks and a bit of towel.

if you have time, hold out until you see the new sportivas for 2011.

friends wear the inov8s and rave about them. go with what fits.
MeganRunning 22 Mar 2011
In reply to ruttingstag: I have been interested in the new Hi-Tec Infinity Trail Running Shoes and wondered if any ladies have tried these yet?

They seem to be one of the lightest on the market and have the ion-masking technology.

Any feedback would be great?

Ruttingstag, Hi-Tec have men's versions of these too.

Thanks
 hamsforlegs 22 Mar 2011
In reply to ruttingstag:

Did three days of running on the Pennine Way in mudclaws a few years ago; we didn't pack crazily light and they were OK for me. My girlfriend wore the same type of shoe and her feet were very painful on the third day. She had done relatively little running in the mudclaws so her fee got more chewed up.

The shoes were actually quite well suited to the terrain, but we had wintery conditions (deep snow, frost-encrusted bogs etc).

In summer I'd wear a trail shoe with a neat heel; the Inov8 Roclites would be a good bet.

Mark
 Herdwickmatt 22 Mar 2011
In reply to ruttingstag: Mudclaw 333

Wife uses the Terraroc.

The Mudclaw is much grippier for going down steep grassy slopes but I would say not as good as the Terraroc for hardpack/rocky trails.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...