UKC

Peary Land Greenland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tdubs 24 Feb 2011
Just wondering if anybody knew anything about past mountaineering expeditions here?

H H Benedict range sounds interesting but all I've found is undetailed reference to a non-technical expedition.
 Mark Bull 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Tdubs:

Have you tried contacting Paul Walker at Tangent Expeditions: http://www.climbgreenland.com
He keeps some of the most comprehensive records of climbing in Greenland.
 AlH 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Tdubs: A second vote for contacting Paul- he'll have a good handle on whjat has been done, when, by who and how to get there if you are planning to!
 Mark Bull 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Tdubs:

The team that wrote this book seem to have visited on a previous trip in 1996: was that the reference you found? http://www.amazon.com/Under-Midnight-Sun-Ascent-Northernmost/dp/1889120197

Going to cost you an arm and several legs to get there, I would guess!
OP Tdubs 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Mark Bull:
Not actually planning on going there (although once solvent I am determined to get myself over to Greenland, but not necessarily Peary Land) but just curious. Keeping my eyes open for the future. Yes as is the way with these things, they have to be difficult to get to otherwise everybody has got to them!

Thanks for the help guys, I'll send him an email.
 Mark Bull 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Tdubs:

There are plenty of unclimbed peaks in Greenland which are accessible at a fraction of the cost you would have to fork out for Peary Land. Hope you manage to get there soon: it's an unforgettable experience!

OP Tdubs 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Mark Bull:
Yeah I had realised that and that was more what I was looking at - I was genuinely just curious about the area, I couldn't find anything about it at all!
 Damo 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Mark Bull:

Funny. Those guys contacted me over 12 years ago about the Antarctic peak they were planning next. Once I told them they were headed to the wrong mountain I never heard from them again.

Then last week I got contacted about the exact same thing!
OP Tdubs 25 Feb 2011
In reply to Mark Bull:
Looks cool doesn't it!
The sound of spending 13 hours hiking through meltw*ter at the northernmost point of land in the world to get to an island that turned out to be two foot wide does sound a bit miserable!
 Mark Bull 25 Feb 2011
In reply to Tdubs:

Not my idea of fun, either!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...