UKC

First mini mountain marathon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattsett 25 Feb 2011
Hi,

I'm doing the mini mountain marathon near Chesterfield on Sunday. Excuse my ignorance, but I thought I would run to location indicated on map, dib my dibber (correct lingo?), then move on. However, I have just googled 'control description sheet' and it looks like I need a degree in symbology.

Will my knowledge of O.S. maps and their symbols be enough?

Cheers for any help,

Matt
 Simon Caldwell 25 Feb 2011
In reply to mattsett:
If it's the Dark & White event, then the control descriptions sheet will be in English

The hieroglyphics are used by orienteers. If you ever need to know what they mean there's a list here
http://www.maprunner.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&...
XXXX 25 Feb 2011
In reply to mattsett:

That depends. Orienteering control descriptions are pretty extensive, that's for sure and if you want to go orienteering you need to learn them.

Whether you need them for the Chesterfield mountain marathon or not depends entirely on whether they are using OS, Harveys or orienteering maps.

Sankey 25 Feb 2011
In reply to mattsett: It will be as simple as that. In some MM you might get some additional description of the location of the control "re-entrant" being a favorite, but others being a bit more basic i.e. cave, wall boundary etc...
 Simon Caldwell 25 Feb 2011
In reply to Eric the Red:
> if you want to go orienteering you need to learn them

I know the basic ones, to tell if I'm looking for a knoll or a pit, a spur or re-entrant. But the majority I have no idea about, if you navigate to the right place you'll be able to tell what the symbol means because there'll be a control there!
OP mattsett 25 Feb 2011
It is the Dark and White event, and they say they give you an OS map, so I should be ok then. I just saw a lot of symbols and panicked!

The only other problem for me now is running for 3 hours.

Thanks again for your help
XXXX 25 Feb 2011
In reply to Toreador:

You mean you don't know the symbol for an anthill or a fodder rack? Sheesh.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...