UKC

Suggest Your Favourite Hillwalking Pub

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 03 Mar 2011
The obvious?

Old Dungeon Ghyll in Langdale
Clachaig in Glencoe
Vaynol in Nant Peris

??? Suggestions

Mick
 Mike Peacock 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:

Pen-y-Gwryd

Bryn Tyrch

Kinlochewe Hotel

Clachaig
OP Michael Ryan 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Thanks Mike.

And the no-so-obvious. We are after a list to feature at UKH.

Mick
 Mike Peacock 03 Mar 2011

Ok. A bit off the tourist trail, but the Slater's Arms in Corris is a great, tiny local place. Good for the Tarrens, Dovey Hills and Cadair.

Chris the Tall 03 Mar 2011
The Grouse, Froggatt
The Britannia, Elterwater
 Jim Walton 03 Mar 2011
Horse & Farrier Inn - Threlkeld. Pop in there on boxing day for a bit of a who's who.
 Banned User 77 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Gallt y Glyn..superb place.

In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC)
> The Grouse, Froggatt
> The Britannia, Elterwater

The Britannia has a good fire, pleasant service and great beer. Some of the pubs regarded as classic hillwalking pubs have none of these things but just trade on location.

Pete Ford 03 Mar 2011

The Kirkstone Pass Inn used to have a good range of beers and an open fire, but its been some while since I've been in there.

Pete
 Mark Eddy 03 Mar 2011

The Newfield Inn, Seathwaite (the Duddon Seathwaite)

Excellent pub, good beer, good food, loads of fine walking - oh, and Wallabarrow is just across the road!

The Golden Rule, Ambleside - best pub in the village, tasty beer, scotch eggs, pies, friendly

Mark
 Ramblin dave 03 Mar 2011
Green Dragon at Hardraw
Tan Hill Inn
Cheshire Cheese at Hope
The Falcon at Arncliffe
The Quiet Woman at Longnor
The Old Hill Inn at Chapel le Dale
The Stables at Monsal Head
Three Stags Heads at Wardlow Mires
The Sun at Coniston

I'd probably be a lot better at climbing if I spent less time in pubs...
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Stag Inn, Dufton
Drover's Inn, Inverarnan
Ben Nevis Inn, Ft.William
Crask Inn, middle of nowhere
billy no-mates 03 Mar 2011

Kingy's better than the Clachaig. You tip up in the Clachaig on a Saturaday night straight from the hills, can't move, can't hear and can't get served.
 Andy Moles 03 Mar 2011
In reply to billy no-mates:

At least there's some craic though.

markhammonds 03 Mar 2011

I'm with Mark on: The Newfield Inn, Seathwaite (the Duddon Seathwaite)

Have a soft spot for: The Brook House Inn, Boot (Eskdale)

Recall having very good food at: The Traveller's Rest, (near) Grasmere

Of course, there are plenty of other great Lakes pubs (not forgetting the rest of the UK), but they sprung to mind first...
 Tanya Savage 03 Mar 2011

Agree with comment about too many pubs relying on good locations. In the Lakes, most of the best pubs are further out and worth a detour on the way home, e.g. Prince of Wales at Foxfield (open fire, great beer, fabulous pasties, very friendly), Crown at Hesket Newmarket, Watermill at Ings (on main road between Windermere and M6 junction 36).
 Hoppo 03 Mar 2011

A few of my favourites in the Peak District,

The Barrel - Bretton
Royal Oak - Hurdlow
Packhorse Inn - Little Longstone
Flying Childers - Stanton in Peak

liz j 03 Mar 2011
The Old Ford Inn near Brecon, great food and a warm welcome.
The Skirrid Mountain Inn near Abergavenny, reputedly the oldest inn in Wales.
 Danzig 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: The Ramblers, Edale-great food, selection of Ales and top bunch of lads running the show-nice place to stay aswell, Olde Nags Head in Edale for the open fire in winter and the Nevis Inn.
 Tom Hutton 03 Mar 2011

Church House Inn at Torver
The Druid at Goginan -good for Pumlumon area
The Dragon's Head at Llangenny - Black Mountains
The Neuadd Arms, Llanwrtyd Wells - great for Cwmdeuddwr Hills
Royal Oak, Rhandirmwyn - Elenydd
The Crown at Churchill, Mendip Hills. Probably the best pub in England!
Have heard good things about Y Gwyder in Dolwyddelan - new owners perhaps? But haven't tried it myself yet.
 graeme jackson 03 Mar 2011
My favourite used to be the Crown and Thistle at Forestburn Gate outside Rothbury but I've not been in for years and last time I was past I noticed it had changed its name to 'The Gate'.

The Outgate inn was good as was the Drunken duck. The latter has become too expensive.
All the pubs in Coniston have their finer points.
I still like the riverside bar behind the Scafell inn in Rosthwaite and the Dog and Gun in Keswick.

On a slighly more cerebral note, my favourite hillwalking pub is always the one the least distance from the end of the walk.

Blithrin' Eck. Cheers chapesses and chaps. More!!!!
 Tom Hutton 03 Mar 2011
In reply to liz j:
> The Old Ford Inn near Brecon, great food and a warm welcome.
> The Skirrid Mountain Inn near Abergavenny, reputedly the oldest inn in Wales.
I'd be a bit worried about the Skirrid as it doesn't allow dogs - essential IMHO for a 'walking pub'

And I'm fascinated by the suggestion of the Ramblers in Edale as a nice place to stay. I stayed there once - probably about 8 years ago - and it was awful. They wanted payment on arrival. And then the breakfast was a disaster: sat there waiting for someone to take my order and suddenly a pretty yukky looking 'full english' was dumped in front of me, smothered with beans which I don't eat. I asked if they mind if I changed it for just bacon egg and tomato, and they told me to scrape the beans off and leave what I didn't want!

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread Mick - back to work...

Adam Lincoln 03 Mar 2011
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC) Gallt y Glyn..superb place.

And great pizza! On a side note Iain, ever had pasta in there? Any good? Nearly chanced it Saturday.

Need more Ales on tap too. Usually only two.
 Simon Caldwell 03 Mar 2011

The Old Inn, Gairloch
 Banned User 77 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Yeah pasta is OK. We go that much that a few of us have started going for the salads and pastas. I'm still loyal to my pizza combo...

Only two beers on top, probably the best of the real ale for a good few miles. Llanberis lacks good pubs. Vaynol beer is average at best, one of the real draw backs of the place.

graeme jackson 03 Mar 2011
had some pretty good beers in the Fish in buttermere last time I was there. Just don't try to use the car park
 max64 03 Mar 2011
Kilchoan House Hotel, Ardnamurchan
Black Horse, Giggleswick
billy no-mates 03 Mar 2011
In reply to andy moles:
> (In reply to billy no-mates)
>
> At least there's some craic though.

Is that because there is Irish bar staff?
Boot Inn - Boot (Eskdale)
Good beer and cake

The three pubs at the lower end of Wasdale: The Screes is one, can't remember the names of the others.

The Fish at Buttermere
The Newfield
King George IV in Eskdale
Church House, Torver
The Sun & Black Bull, Coniston

ALC
J1234 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave:
>
> The Falcon at Arncliffe
>
>

Nutter central, all the best pubs have an eccentric Landlord
 DWilliamson 03 Mar 2011

Cross Keys, Sedbergh. A lovely place with friendly staff, good food, an open fire... the only downside is that there's no beer.
 Mike-W-99 03 Mar 2011
Old Forge at Inverie. Although last time I was there it took ages to get any food.
J1234 03 Mar 2011
I like the Craven Arms at Appletreewick which we tye in with a circular walk from Bardon Bridge via trollers Gill
Another one is the Beer Garden at the Calfs Head at Worston, IMHO one of the best beer gardens around.

When are you going to do the best caffs thread Mick and will bolts on Broad Stand be acceptable on UK Hillwalking but not on UK Climbing
Cheers sjc
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to Ramblin dave)
> [...]
>
> Nutter central, all the best pubs have an eccentric Landlord

Didn't the Falcon have two landlords and do they still serve ale out of a jug - last time I went must be the early 90's mind.

GrahamD 03 Mar 2011

Since it went 'up market' I'd like to remove the Sun in Coniston.
For really good beer I'd nominate the Badger Bar in Rydal
Stickle Barn is steadily getting less 'plastic'.
Newfield Inn
Golden Rule

Don't know how many landlords they have but beer is still served out of a jug

Another obscure one, The Crask Inn, the middle of nowhere (on the road to Altnaharra)
 Fiona Reid 03 Mar 2011

Cairngorm Hotel, Aviemore
Grog and Gruel, Fort William
Cluanie Inn, Glen Shiel
Ardgour Inn or just the Inn, Ardgour (the one on the other side from the Corran Bunkhouse)
 Tanya Savage 03 Mar 2011

Another vote for the Badger Bar, great place to end a walk round the Fairfield Horseshoe, convenient for bus home too.
 bluesix 03 Mar 2011

The Mardale Inn - Bampton
Queens Head - Tirril

Simon 03 Mar 2011

Packhorse - Little Longstone

The Grouse - Longshaw/Froggatt

The Red Lion - Litton

Cheshire cheese - Hope

Three Stags - Darley Bridge

Bull i' Thorn - Buxton

and more when I think of them!

Si
In reply to bluesix:
> The Mardale Inn - Bampton

seconded!
 LastBoyScout 03 Mar 2011

Square and Compass - Worth Matravers, Dorset
 Hoppo 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Simon:

The Quiet Woman - Earl Sterndale

Great pub.
 Lew13 03 Mar 2011

Clachaig, Glencoe!
 wilkie14c 03 Mar 2011
Don't know about them being great pubs, I thinks its more about being there and the association of climbing and being amongst the scene but I'm always happy to be in:
Clachaig in Glencoe
Vaynol in Nant Peris
Tyn-Y-Coed in Capel Curig
The Farmers in St Davids
The Slig on Skye
The Crofters, Fort William
My one out of the way pub - the Manifold in the Manifold Valley but only because it has a framed pic of the FA of Kyrie Elison <Thors cave> on the wall!
 iksander 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: The Bull' Head Craswall http://www.thebullsheadcraswall.co.uk/
pooh 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Tom Hutton:
> (In reply to liz j)
> [...]
> I'd be a bit worried about the Skirrid as it doesn't allow dogs - essential IMHO for a 'walking pub'
>
>

and doesn't open until the evening on a Monday unless they have changed it, been a year or two.

RossKirtley 03 Mar 2011

The Old Crown - Hesket Newmarket
 stouffer 03 Mar 2011

The Queen's Head in Troutbeck
 Timmd 03 Mar 2011

The Sun in Coniston. Boots and dogs are allowed, and the garden and tables outside are good in nice weather.

Tim
Removed User 03 Mar 2011

The Church in Uppermill.
 mike123 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: no mention yet of the best pub in the peak ?
the barley mow in kirk ireton. best pint in the peak.
 James Moyle 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: The Gurnard's Head Hotel - nr Bosigran
 isi_o 03 Mar 2011
Clachaig is my all-time favourite. But I'm biased...
Old Bridge Inn, Aviemore
Taybank, Dunkeld - best stovies I've found anywhere yet
Sligachan, Skye - amazing whisky selection and beers from the brewery next door
Moulin Inn, Pitlochry

The New NickB 03 Mar 2011
In reply to billy no-mates:
>
> Kingy's better than the Clachaig. You tip up in the Clachaig on a Saturaday night straight from the hills, can't move, can't hear and can't get served.

Has it got better recently? Seemed to get progressively worse over the 10 years I spent visiting it, between around 1995 and 2005.

I quite like the Clachaig.
In reply to isi_o:

> Sligachan, Skye - amazing whisky selection and beers from the brewery next door.

Despite the whisky and an OK selection of beer, the Sligachan is pretty poor, no real atmosphere and generally unhelpful staff. Suffers from a lack of competition.
Removed User 03 Mar 2011

The Clova Hotel used to be very good, you could think of it as a 24/7 pub if you get what I mean. The Kingshouse was very much the same.

They once wheeled a piano into the bar to accommodate one of my friends who said he'd like to entertain everyone but could only play the piano.

The Clachaig used to have the look and feel if not the smell of a cow shed but now resembles an student's union in England.

In the Lakes I like the Black Bull in Coniston, the Newfield Inn in the Duddon Valley and the one up the hill in Glenriding. I don't think any of the pubs in Langdale are amazing, but given the choice I go to the Sticklebarn.
 skog 03 Mar 2011
Depends what you consider to be a 'hillwalking pub', but:
Crask Inn, near Lairg.
Old Inn, Carbost (Skye).
Applecross Inn.
Kylesku Hotel.
Morefield Motel, Ullapool.
Glenuig Inn, Lochailort.
Myrtle Bank Hotel, Gairloch.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.
There are loads of great ones in the Lake District, of course, but I can't remember any of their names.
 richiegarside 03 Mar 2011

The Glenelg Inn, near the Kylerhea ferry to Skye. A great relaxed place, if slightly anarchic.
 abr1966 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Toreador:
>
> The Old Inn, Gairloch

+1 was in there the other week....free pool table, free juke box and home made beer!
 Carolyn 03 Mar 2011
No mention of the Kirkstile Inn (Loweswater) yet? Never mind, you can all stick with the Fish, that way I might get a seat

Actually, The Bridge in Buttermere's going up in my estimation at the moment too. Stunning set of new photos on the wall, anyhow.
 Stuart Wood 03 Mar 2011

On the money Mick!

But number one is Uncle Johnnys Golden Rule, and a special mention to the excellent Manor Arms in Broughton.

Woody
 d1griffiths 03 Mar 2011

The Crianlarich Hotel, apparently they used to not let anyone not booked on a bus tour into the place but no sign of that now. Comfy big leather armchairs and sofas and a couple of raging fires. Great.
The Drovers Inn. For the bear if nothing else.
 Lemony 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: The Crown in Lofthouse, ambiance is especially enhanced but having the toilets across the car park.
 Jim Walton 03 Mar 2011
Applecross Inn - Applecross

Best 'Fish n Chips' in Scotland, great company in the Pub to.
 Duncan Bourne 03 Mar 2011
The Bull'n'thorn - on the Buxton Ashbourne road. good meals and beer but noted for the suits of armour and weird antiques
see also the Yew tree at cauldon Lowe. A classic of it type full of antique musical instruments and other stuff.
and for that Royston Vasey experience you have to visit the Royal cottage just past the winking man, if you can figure out when it opens.
Not exactly in the hills but they are in the Peak and worth seeking out.
 nastyned 03 Mar 2011

I will second the Crown in Hesket Newmarket and the Kirkstile Inn in Loweswater.
 Timmd 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Carolyn:
> No mention of the Kirkstile Inn (Loweswater) yet? Never mind, you can all stick with the Fish, that way I might get a seat
>
> Actually, The Bridge in Buttermere's going up in my estimation at the moment too. Stunning set of new photos on the wall, anyhow.

Good mentions, The Bridge in Buttermere has always seemed friendly to me, and it's cosy/interesting with knooks and crannies, and The Kirstile Inn too.

Tim

J1234 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Another couple of pubs I like in the lakes on the way back are the Blacksmiths at Broughton Mills and the Prince of Wales at Foxfield, but they don`t really fit in with walks but the wife always drives, back

The Bull'n'thorn, it`s not really very good is it, not very bad either, but if it`s your favourite you really need to get out more.

The Golden Rule, it`s the only Pub that I go in which I preferred when full of smoke, and I`m an anti smoking nazi, but it has just lost a special something now there is no smoke. I always liked the chubby guy behind the bar, he always used to say "haven`t seen you for awhile" it always made me feel like a local, but i`m sure he never recognised me and the landlord is a class act, could come from central casting as "The Landlord"
 graeme jackson 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Stopped off at the Kirkstone Pass inn last summer halfway round a big circuit of the kirkstone fells from Hartsop. Had a really nice pint sitting out in the sun.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Mar 2011
In reply to graeme jackson:
We stopped there last May halfway round a big circuit of the Patterdale fells. Stood in a queue for 10 minutes being ignored before giving in and leaving.
 Andy Hardy 04 Mar 2011

Not strictly walking / climbing pubs but worth a look in -

The Bitter End - Cockermouth

The Sair - Linthwaite

and

The Railway - Stockport (I see loads of climbers in there after the wall, so it might sneak in as a climber's pub!)
DragonsDoExist 04 Mar 2011

The Gwynedd, Llanberis Highstreet. Has Hoegaarden and Leffe on Tap!
The Gallt y Glyn,
Oh and of course the Prince of Wales, Llanberis Highstreet!! (Sorry, joke!!)

The Eagle and Child - Gwaenysgor (Clwyds)

Old Dungeon Ghyll
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to graeme jackson)
> We stopped there last May halfway round a big circuit of the Patterdale fells. Stood in a queue for 10 minutes being ignored before giving in and leaving.

That probably worked out better then. Climbing red screes in the sun after a pretty strong beer probably wasn't the best way to avoid a dehydration headache
 Will Hunt 04 Mar 2011

Here's a no vote for the Slig. The staff are woefully rude and there's no atmosphere whatsoever. Much better going to the Carbost.
 Chris Shorter 04 Mar 2011

The North York Moors' contribution to your list is The Lion at Blakey Ridge!

www.lionblakey.co.uk

Chris
 Mike Peacock 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Will Hunt: A bit further out, but I like the Taigh Ailean Hotel in Portnalong. Mix of tourists and locals, a friendly landlord, and good whisky. It has been years since I was last there though.
 Darron 04 Mar 2011

I have a soft spot for the Logan Rock at Treen, Cornwall
 liz j 04 Mar 2011
Another vote for a pub in the Brecon Beacons, well, Black Mountains to be precise!
The Castle Inn, Pengenffordd. You can leave your car in their carpark for a pound, go for a lovely walk along the main Black Mountains ridge, and return for a well earned pint before the drive home. Or if you prefer, you can stay in their bunkhouse!
 lithos 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Chris Shorter:

personally I prefer the Sun Inn which i just love
 Tom Hutton 04 Mar 2011
In reply to liz j:
> Another vote for a pub in the Brecon Beacons, well, Black Mountains to be precise!
> The Castle Inn, Pengenffordd. You can leave your car in their carpark for a pound, go for a lovely walk along the main Black Mountains ridge, and return for a well earned pint before the drive home. Or if you prefer, you can stay in their bunkhouse!

Oh dear, I seem to be picking on you! Nothing personal honest But has this changed hands then in recent years? My expeiences have been unhelpful, unfriendly and complacent. And at the time i was last there, the bunkhouse was only available to groups? Am genuinely interested if it's improved.

And if you've never tried it, trust me and try the Dragon's Head next time you're in the Black Mountains - it's a bit quirky, but seriously good.
 FrankBooth 04 Mar 2011
Stables/Royal Oak in Betws-y-coed: Really quick food service, perfect when you come down off the hill.
 liz j 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Tom Hutton:
Can't comment on the bunkhouse, but have always enjoyed the bar there!!
Where is the Dragons' Head?
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 04 Mar 2011

The Prince of Wales, Llanberis Stocked in teh 1980's, Decorated in the 1970's and full of people from the 1960's. They have got rid of acroprop corner though. An acquired taste in rare pubs is needed for this place. No food, and possibly a good thing if you ever catch a sight through to the kitchen.

The Star Inn - Kinguisse. This place is rarer than sushi in the seathwaite. The public bar is a must, the locals are interesting, the TV small but the crack (not a spelling mistake!) is good.

The Kinlochewe is good in Torridon, massive selection of real ale in the summer, not so much in the winter. However the food is a little bit "London" for me. Small portions and rather pretentious, although very nice! Certainly not the carbo fueled heavy meal you need after a day in the area.

Clachaig - Glencoe. Through the faux beams and still nicotene stained artex (Home long has the smoking band been in exsistence?) this pub hasn't changed much in over ten years. To be honest I suspected some of those rare malts that line the long bar have been for a geologic period. Go there mid week for a meet the locals night.
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Not strictly a hillwalking pub but I've never been more glad to see a pub than when I came down to the Robin hood at Birchens after completing the worcester mountaineering club Gritstone gallop. A route on every edge from stanage end walking the full distance and carrying ropes etc. The robin hood was happy to serve food after their published times.
 Banned User 77 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Mark Reeves:
>
> The Prince of Wales, Llanberis Stocked in teh 1980's, Decorated in the 1970's and full of people from the 1960's. They have got rid of acroprop corner though. An acquired taste in rare pubs is needed for this place. No food, and possibly a good thing if you ever catch a sight through to the kitchen.
>

Brilliant place. Best pub signage I've ever seen...A4 printed paper in the window...
 mp3ferret 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Langdon Beck - Teasdale.
In reply to FrankBooth:

Very busy in the summer months and usually full of louts!
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Mark Reeves)
> [...]
>
> Brilliant place. Best pub signage I've ever seen...A4 printed paper in the window...

Don't forget the permanent mobility scooter outside!
 Only a hill 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Will Hunt:
>
> Here's a no vote for the Slig. The staff are woefully rude and there's no atmosphere whatsoever. Much better going to the Carbost.

Iagree, they also don't know how to keep or,serve real ale.
 Tom Hutton 04 Mar 2011
In reply to liz j:
> (In reply to Tom Hutton)
> Can't comment on the bunkhouse, but have always enjoyed the bar there!!
> Where is the Dragons' Head?

That's good - years since I went in there.

The Dragon's Head is in Llangenny - tiny little lanes beneath the Sugar Loaf. Only a mile or so from Crickhowell though. It's a little quirky, and winter opening hours are spasmodic, but they serve good beer, and excellent food - huge portions - and there's a campsite oppsite too.

Enjoy!
 liz j 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Tom Hutton:
Ahh,, yes, I've been there many moons ago. It's by a bridge over a river I believe, is that right?
 Gawyllie 04 Mar 2011

the forge in knoydart
spittal of glenshee
kingshouse
the one with the bunkhouse near talisker
 Tom Hutton 04 Mar 2011
In reply to liz j:
> (In reply to Tom Hutton)
> Ahh,, yes, I've been there many moons ago. It's by a bridge over a river I believe, is that right?

That's the one. The river'll be the Grwyne Fawr I believe - amazing salmon leaping weir a little downstream.

Hope you enjoyed it?

Carolyn 04 Mar 2011
In reply to 999thAndy:

> Not strictly walking / climbing pubs but worth a look in -
>
> The Bitter End - Cockermouth

Hasn't 1761 rather taken over as the climbers/walkers haunt since it opened? Not that I make it out in the evenings enough to know since kids........ have to stick to lunchtimes down the valley. Should I worry my 2 year old knows all the pubs in the Buttermere/Lorton valley by name?

Duncan Bourne 04 Mar 2011
In reply to sjc:

> The Bull'n'thorn, it`s not really very good is it, not very bad either, but if it`s your favourite you really need to get out more.
>

I disagree last time I was there they had excellent food and a selection of three real ales. But then there is the atmosphere of the place which I really like. I would not say it is my "best" pub but it is pretty good
 James Moyle 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: I love the prince of Wales in Llanberis! A group of us, about ten 17 year olds venture scouts watched the 1991 England v Australia rugby world cup semi final in there (supporting England). The locals were a bit non plussed to say the least.
 Dauphin 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Chris Shorter:

Excellent choice. Great place, great beer, chips with everything.

Regards

D
 Ann S 05 Mar 2011

Second New Inn at Seathwaite-cracking pub.
On route south out of the Lakes we often stop off at the Water Mill Inn at Ings. Superb choice of ales (their own micro brewery)very good food and a nice log fire when you want it.
 adi3969 05 Mar 2011
Don't think they've been mentioned yet but;

Eagle and Child Aka the Bird and Baby, Staveley nr Kendal- Great food, CAMRA pub of the year and season in the past, nice accommodation, at least 8 real ales and a few ciders, open fires, great ambiance,

Tower Bank Arms, Near Sawrey , Hawkshead- 5 hand pulled ales,good seletion of non alcoholic drinks, great food, nice accommodation, open fire.

Moorcock Inn, Garsdale- good ale, food and accom, remote location good for Wild boar fell and Mallerstang edge

Craven Arms, Appletreewick- good ale , food , fire , ambiance.

Golden Rule and the Watermill do have a reputation of being good, which they are, however both smell badly of dogs.
 Liam M 05 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: For south west peak, the Lazy Trout was always good, though a couple of years since I've been.
 TomPollock 05 Mar 2011
The Old Inn, Carbost. Good beer, excellent food, helpful staff and a good bunkhouse.
Removed User 05 Mar 2011

A personal favourite, of which I haven't yet noticed a mention, is the Suie in Kincraig.
 bluebealach 05 Mar 2011
In reply to richiegarside:

Agreed, spent a few nights in there getting ratted with the locals!!!

It did go through a bit of a rough patch a couple of years ago I heard but under new management now though
 Alex@home 05 Mar 2011
> My one out of the way pub - the Manifold in the Manifold Valley but only because it has a framed pic of the FA of Kyrie Elison <Thors cave> on the wall!

and surely also becuase they are one of the very few pubs around that serve hartington ipa

i would have said the travellers rest in flash for the same reasons but it changed hands last year and is now some disastrous medieval/knights themed thing. kind of didn't enjoy it as much as previously.

for a post biking pub i'd have to recommend the dog and partridge in whaley bridge. we're always welcome no matter how muddy
 bluebealach 05 Mar 2011
In reply to Ann S: Anyone venturing into this pub, try W'ruff Night

Probably one of the finest beers you'll every taste - nectar!!
 Simon Caldwell 07 Mar 2011

The Sun Inn, Dent.
The Red Lion, Langthwaite, Arkengarthdale.
 Erik B 07 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Crask Inn, a throwback to a bygone age with the nicest landlords you could imagine, right in the heart of magnificent hill country. I actually feel guilty for mentioning this gem!
 Simon Caldwell 07 Mar 2011
In reply to Erik B:
> the nicest landlords you could imagine

What do you expect, they're from Yorkshire
 Wonrek 07 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: If we're out on Bodmin moor (it has a hill or two you know!) the Blisland Inn is a real treat on the way home, Camra pub with superb ales and ciders.

Probably off the beaten track for most folk on here though...

Cx
 Chris the Tall 07 Mar 2011
In reply to adi3969:
>
> Eagle and Child Aka the Bird and Baby, Staveley nr Kendal- Great food, CAMRA pub of the year and season in the past, nice accommodation, at least 8 real ales and a few ciders, open fires, great ambiance,

I've never actually been in that pub, but the pub sign always gave me nightmares as a kid !
yellofello 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Erik B:

The Crask Inn. What a place. Wonderful!

I remember nearly 10 years ago, but were up there. They served us Venison Steak from a Stag that had been hung. Beautiful.

It was slightly "ruined" by one of the younger members of our group, who when asked what he would like to drink, replied "Budweiser". The responsewas "You Urban Fool!"

Classic!
 Ann S 08 Mar 2011

Is the Old Crown in Hesketh Newmarket still as good as I recall from years ago.
 johnnorman 08 Mar 2011

Bloody hell, what a bunch of alcies!!
 net 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Tanya Savage: Ha ha, I was just searching through to see if anyone else had said the Prince of Wales!

I'd also like to add the Eagle and Child at Staveley nr Kendal (for after the Kentmere horseshoe).
 kingieman 08 Mar 2011
Kintail Lodge, Kintail
Glenelg Inn, Glenelg
Old Inn, Carbost
Tomdoun Hotel, Glengarry
Tibbie Shields, Borders
Taigh an Eilean, Shieldaig
 Duncan I 08 Mar 2011

The Sportsman, The George and The Royal in Hayfield.

The Winking Man at Flash.
 lucasp 08 Mar 2011
In reply to a lakeland climber: 'The Fish at Buttermere'
Possibly the most hostile landlady I've ever come across.
 Banned User 77 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Often found a lot of the Scottish Highland pubs vastly over rated. Either old people/coach tour hotel places or quite bland...

A few exceptions of course, i.e. Drovers.

But the classic example is the Sligachan?

If it was in Yorkshire or the Lakes it would be out of business....

Generally the same holds true for around here too...beers generally not that good...the English do the classic rural pub better than anywhere
 Cú Chullain 08 Mar 2011

Not quite a 'hill walking' pub but the Square and Compass near Swanage is pretty good for a jar and a pastie after some climbing or cliff walking
 Ian Jones 08 Mar 2011

Wasdale Inn, Wasdale head.

Prince Llewellyn, Beddgelert

Tanonnen Inn, Beddgelert.
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: What makes a great hillwalkers or climbers pub?

Location has to be key part, but there has to be more to it than location. The Wasdale Head Inn, Vaynol, Old and New Dungeon Ghyll, Pen Y Gwyrd, Bryn Tyrch, Cobdens, Clachaig and Kingshouse are all in fabulous locations, but that means that more often than not at weekends and especially bank holidays they're unbearable. So in a good location yes, but not so busy that you can't get served without a very long wait and a scrum at the bar.

Somewhere close enough to a campsite that everyone can end their day there, not all-bar-one who has to ferry the others back elsewhere.

Good beer, and good food served in reasonable quantities. Not fizzy keg nonsense and food that appears only to have been taken out of the packet and microwaved for as long as it takes to put the 300% markup on the charge.

Somewhere that acknowledges that walkers and climbers are a key part of its clientele and is accepting of their foibles (and frequently less than adequate personal hygiene after a day in the great outdoors) but is not a ghetto frequented by them alone, and whose staff don't try and excuse a surly and unthankful attitude by pretending that it's 'character'.

And a real fire in the colder months, where well-behaved dogs are tolerated but the owners of poorly-behaved ones ejected, where musicians of a certain standard are welcomed (or even supplied) but those who are not are encouraged to join with everyone else in enjoying the hubbub of relaxed conversation.

And I'm sure there's more. Having thought about all the above, I think the nearest to it is the ODG in the middle of the week. What makes it somewhere to avoid at weekends (too many people in too small a space) becomes much better away from those days. At weekends, then things are different and I'm not sure the perfect pub exists. Some come close - The Newfield Inn at (the Duddon) Seathwaite came very close to being it when Chris was the landlord, but he moved on and I haven't been back for many years, and the Coledale Hotel at Braithwaite isn't bad, but is just a wee bit too small making it difficult to get a table for food sometimes.

So there's a gap in the market for a willing entrepeneur, though I suspect the easiest way to use the idea to make a small fortune will be to start with a large one...

T.
 Banned User 77 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Have you tried the Glyntwrog in Llanrug?

really good honest pub food, good chips, all freshly made and nice beer..

We go there quite a bit now for Sunday evening meals.
In reply to IainRUK: I haven't Iain. Sounds good though: I shall put on the list...

T.
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Thought of another one Mick, the Horse and Farrier in Threlkeld. Excellent beers and food, friendly staff, and at the foot of Blencathra. Works for me.
torridon.neil 09 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Does anyone know if Wrrrita still works in The Scotchmans Pack, Hathersage?
 Leo Woodfelder 09 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: Another vote for the three stags head in wardlow mire, derbyshire.

Experienced the pub for the first time the other dsy. What a great place, uber friendly, great real ales and tasty strong ciders. Good log fire and plenty of singing! Can't wait to go back
 Ridge 10 Mar 2011
In reply to sjc:
>
> The Falcon at Arncliffe
>
>

> Nutter central, all the best pubs have an eccentric Landlord

Is this the exception to the rule? Unless it's changed hands it's run by an obnoxious pillock and best avoided.
 jayme 10 Mar 2011
Eagle and Child in Stavely. Never had a bad pint in there and always 4 or 5 to choose from.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...