UKC

Sparks fly over Via Ferrata on Squamish Chief

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
squamishclimber 07 Mar 2011
The Squamish climbing community is hotly debating about what to do with the via ferrata to the South Summit of The Chief. It was installed a few years ago by a climber and has become popular.

But some climbers now believe the vf should be removed, they say it was built with substandard materials.

There is an animated discussion on Squamishclimbing.com between proponents and opponents.

On the pro side - climbers say it adds a convenient access route to the summit.

On the con side - climbers are concerned about the long-term safety of the vf especially with hikers and they also say it goes against local traditions.

Check out http://squamishclimbing.com for more.

What's the view on via ferrata's on your side of the Atlantic?
DEvans 07 Mar 2011
In reply to squamishclimber:

i think they are ugly but probably thrilling to do if your not really into rock climbing.

dan
 big john 07 Mar 2011
Theres not mch room for dissagreement on ethical terms as the chief is covered in bolts. But a via ferrata with poor mayerials kinda ruins the point of being able to enjoy the position in complete safety.
 tobyfk 08 Mar 2011

Thanks for highlighting this. I hadn't looked at Squamishclimbing.com for a while.

However, I have actually used this particular VF, know exactly where it is and how it optimises a specific hiking link-up ... so am not suitably qualified to talk about it at UKC.
 Richard Baynes 08 Mar 2011
In reply to tobyfk:
Hopefullt this will bea direct link to debate.
http://squamishclimbing.com/squamish_climbing_bb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31...

I'd be against removal: with warning signs, people should make their own judgement. If it could all be replaced straight away that might be worth doing. Remember the Camino Del Rey at wossname El Chorro bugger had to google that my mind's going...in Spain? Crumbling, dangerous, encouraged hikers to go on it: but what a buzz. Not sure if it's still open but a shame if it isn't, however crumbly: yo should be able to take your chance on it.
 JDDD 08 Mar 2011
In reply to DEvans: They are thrilling to do even if you are a rock climber.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...