UKC

NEW ARTICLE: A History of Mallorca Deep Water Soloing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 08 Mar 2011
Miquel Riera at ‘Porto Pi’ late 70s; Photo: The Miquel Riera Collection., 4 kbDaimon Beail gives us a short history of Deep Water Soloing on the Island of Mallorca from the late 70s to present day.

"In September of the same year, the world of Deep Water Soloing changed forever. Chris Sharma completed the right hand finish to the line that climbed underside of the Es Pontas arch..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3539

Mick Ward 08 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

A great article - thanks! Re the original UK DWS team, Pete Oxley is on the right of the photo. He did a lot.

Mick
 RockSteady 08 Mar 2011

Great article! Nice work.
In reply to Mick Ward:

Caption had cropped. Now extended with all the names.

Alan
 Mick Ward 08 Mar 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Hi Alan,

Many thanks. I've always loved that photo from the first Rockfax to Dorset; it seemed to capture a happy, relatively carefree time. Very much in keeping with the spirit of DWS which has now, amazingly, gone all around the world.

Mick
 rubben 08 Mar 2011
Good read! Looking forward to getting the new guidebook!
 chris wyatt 08 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Great read - shame about the not so subtle product placement.
In reply to chris wyatt:
> (In reply to UKC Articles) Great read - shame about the not so subtle product placement.

An article about deep water soloing in Mallorca ...

... including information about a new book about deep water soloing in Mallorca.

... written by one of the authors of the new book.

... and published on a web site that funds itself by publishing books, including a new book about deep water soloing on Mallorca.

Or would you prefer to find out about new books by telepathy, and for this site to be funded on fresh air?

Alan
 middlevern 08 Mar 2011
In reply to chris wyatt: In reply to chris wyatt: Rockfax does actually play a small but important part in the story. No idea how, but one of the robertsons got in touch with Alan asking about if there was any DWS on mallorca, and alan put him in touch with me as I was helping him with the Mallorca guide whilst living out there. That got passed on to miquel and everything sprang up from there.
James Jackson 08 Mar 2011

Nice! Is there stuff there for lower-grade mortals? I'm talking up to ~5b UK Tech kind of things.
 Daimon - Rockfax Global Crag Moderator 08 Mar 2011
In reply to James Jackson:
James, go check out Cala Sa Nau and Cala Marcal. Both in the new guide.
legohno 09 Mar 2011
Is there much DWS information in the new guide that I won't already have given I have Deep Water and the Mallorca DWS supplement?
 Daimon - Rockfax Global Crag Moderator 09 Mar 2011
In reply to legohno: This edition is a really nicely polished piece of work regarding DWS lines and info. There are plenty of new lines and fine tuning of existing ones along with other info. It’s a significant update in more ways than one and I’m sure you will like it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...