UKC

Spontaneous Cramping Feet Syndrome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Escondedero 09 Mar 2011
When I'm climbing outside I randomly suffer from really bad cramps along the soles of my feet. I have no problems when I'm climbing indoors or bouldering. The length, difficulty and style of route don't seem to matter much (although the frequency is higher with bridging routes) and I'm curious to know if anyone else has this irritating affliction and if they have found a way to prevent it?

Thanks
 karen87 09 Mar 2011
In reply to Escondedero:

I have also had this problem when I seconded a route at Froggatt. Not a great time when I was on a bad set of holds. I think it was due to wearing my lace ups too tight however, I stick with the velcros now.
Escondedero 09 Mar 2011
In reply to karen87:

Thanks for the reply Karen. Unfortunately the cramps appear whether I'm wearing lace ups or velcros (tight or loose) but I empathise I've had the same problem as you, being stuck on a crux with awkward holds and painful feet isn't a great experience.
 dunnyg 09 Mar 2011
In reply to Escondedero: A guy i know got really bad cramp in his foot when climing, he mentioned it to his Dr, and it turned out he had a broken foot, from 7 years ago. Outdoor specific suggests it might not be this, but just a thought, if you have any past accidents
 Offwidth 09 Mar 2011
In reply to Escondedero:

I've got it... left foot, gets worse when outside edging. I take my left shoe off more.
 mikehike 09 Mar 2011
In reply to Escondedero:

Some good info here (between the many adds)
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-causes-foot-cramps.htm
Escondedero 10 Mar 2011
In reply to mikehike:

Thanks for the link and the replies. Now that it's been mentioned the right foot does seem to get the worst of it. Hopefully, after reading the article, it's something straight forward like not re-hydrating enough after the long walk in’s or just weak feet but I'll keep an eye out for the old injury advice too.
In reply to Escondedero:
I get this, not necessarily when climbing, just often when I tense the muscles in my foot, I just put it down to poor circulation. can be annoying thou.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...