UKC

Will Easyjet kick off if I try and take krabs on hand luggage?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thelongcon 11 Mar 2011
Hiya ya'll
Basically I'm heading up to Aberdeen from London luton soon on Easyjet, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to sneak a slackline and a couple of krabs on the plane in my hand luggage.

Anyone have any experience with this? Get away with it or got nicked?
Thanks alot kids!
 ebygomm 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

It'll be airport security rather than Easyjet who you'll have to get past.
 Brass Nipples 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

only if you also have a rope in hand luggage (happened to me at Venice Treviso)
Chris Ellyatt 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts: Not sure on this one....

They wouldn't let me on with rope in my bag, so karabiners are likely to be in the same lot.

Chris
 devilman 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Chris Ellyatt: A friend gets away with krabs on a regular basis.
The slackline??
Gary
Chris Ellyatt 11 Mar 2011
In reply to devilman:

Surely the slackline would be treated the same as rope? I think it depends who you get to be honest. Anything that looks 'dodgy' they will pick up on.

Chris
In reply to Andrewmorts:

Workmate had a krab on her rucksack and airport security confiscated it.
Would be lucky to get it through i think.
 _MJC_ 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts: What is remotely dodgy about krabs?
OP Thelongcon 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

Loving the speed of replies, cheers everyone. Since i'm pretty povo I'll not risk it.
Thanks again
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 11 Mar 2011
In reply to _MJC_:
> What is remotely dodgy about krabs?

Effective knuckledusters!

Chris
 Brass Nipples 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to _MJC_)
> [...]
>
> Effective knuckledusters!
>
>
> Chris

Is there a story behind that
 AlasdairM 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts: I've never had problems with krabs at London City or Edinburgh, unsure about Luton though.
 Mr. Lee 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

I've taken crabs and quickdraws in hand luggage on numerous flights out of Luton, Stansted and Gatwick without any problem. Get them packed! Not sure about rope though although have friends have have packed 60m without issues.
 David Riley 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

I flew to Spain from EM yesterday with my quickdrawers in hand baggage. Was searched and had to post wirecutters and pliers back to myself. No problem with drawers.
 kevin stephens 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

Knuckledusters are on of the items specifically mentioned in the list of banned items. It's down to luck if a) they are recognised on the x-ray and b) if the security people reckon they can be used as knucledusters
 Wee Davie 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

I accidently took a couple of screwgates, slings and a Grigri in my hand luggage through Gatwick recently. They didn't take any of it off me but I wouldn't rely on my experience. I'd put mine in the hold any other time.
 Tom_Page 11 Mar 2011
In reply to PaleMan:
> only if you also have a rope in hand luggage (happened to me at Venice Treviso)

You had an issue getting a rope on the plane? Gosh. I've taken a rope aboard on trips to the Pyrenees and the Rockies and not had any trouble. I hadn't even considered it being a problem. Has anyone else had issues getting ropes on planes?
 icnoble 11 Mar 2011
In reply to David Riley:
> (In reply to Andrewmorts)
>
No problem with drawers.

I am surprised you could fit drawers into your hand luggage

Michael Ryan 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Tom_Page:
> (In reply to PaleMan)
> [...]
>
> You had an issue getting a rope on the plane? Gosh. I've taken a rope aboard on trips to the Pyrenees and the Rockies and not had any trouble. I hadn't even considered it being a problem. Has anyone else had issues getting ropes on planes?

If you read the answers above you will find that they have.

And so have I.

The best policy is to call the airline you are traveling with, or as someone has pointed out it may depend on the people at the security check.

If you do get stopped it is major hassle to get your rope on the plane.

Mick

eviljohn2 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:
I've taken a couple of krabs as hand luggage from Heathrow before now and didn't think again about it.

It was a different story when I tried to take crabs on board though...
 Martin Bennett 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Tom_Page:
> (In reply to PaleMan)
> [...]
>
> You had an issue getting a rope on the plane? Gosh. I've taken a rope aboard on trips to the Pyrenees and the Rockies and not had any trouble. I hadn't even considered it being a problem. Has anyone else had issues getting ropes on planes?

Yes - 3 friends had ropes confiscated at Liverpool Airport en route for Easyjet flight to Geneva - airport authorities were kind enough to keep them until could be picked up on return. But I know others get away with it. Never risked it myself. On the "crabs" front I've had a bag emptied for the sake of a maillon rapide that wouldn't have made a knuckleduster for a 5 year old - and they made me bin it! That was at Reus.

Mikkel 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to Tom_Page)
> [...]

>
> The best policy is to call the airline you are traveling with,

Calling the airline will be totally pointless, as have been said soooo many times on these threads, its nothing to do with the airline, its all to do with the people at the security check.

If in doubt, don't bring it, is the only sensible advice, everything else is leaving it up to what can best be described as random luck.
OP Thelongcon 11 Mar 2011
In reply to eviljohn2:
Yeah it's pretty tricky with crabs. Had the same problem. Doctor gave me a cream for that..
 Michael Ryan 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Mikkel:

Both Mikkel, check the airlines website, and you are at the mercy of the security check, but better, read this thread, I have been stopped with a rope and so have others.

Feel free to leave it to chance, but if you do be prepared for hassle.

> If in doubt, don't bring it, is the only sensible advice, everything else is leaving it up to what can best be described as random luck.

Exactly
 jimtitt 13 Mar 2011
In reply to Mikkel:
As Mick says , it is both the security guys and the airlines. An acqaintance of mine is currently starting a legal battle with Lufthansa for removing his drill from his hold luggage. The border police who checked the bag allowed it through but it was against the airlines own regulations so they removed it.

Jim
 Brass Nipples 13 Mar 2011
In reply to Tom_Page:
> (In reply to PaleMan)
> [...]
>

Yes my wife had gone through one ahead and I got stopped. It was just 15 m of old rope (that I no longer used for lead climbing) for protecting my wife on some of the harder Via Ferrata. Since it was old I just walked 5 feet away and threw rope in bin. I think that wound her up, as she then went mental at my Karabiners which she insisted she had said I had to put in my hold luggage (she hadn't). After arguing for while realised was going to mis plane / get arrested or both. So just walked to front of check in desk, checked in hand luggage as well and walked through security with just the clothes on my back and my passport. Luckily my hand luggage and car keys came out the other side

OllieR 13 Mar 2011
I picked up a friend from Marseille airport who had just lost 30 biners (off 15 draws) and the screw-gate off his gri-gri and was told they would make good knuckle dusters. When he asked them why he was allowed to keep his gri-gri he was told he couldn't hurt anyone with that! No imagination!!

It seems to be totally down to who looks in your bags but don't think I could afford to take the chance.
 luckywally 13 Mar 2011
In reply to Climbapedia:

gone through with quickdraws, screwgates, harness, chalk(though sometimes dodgey) and its fine but if they look through you say it climbing stuff and eventually they'll let you through. it really just depends on if they've seen it before.

deffo no ropes though.
 Peakpdr 13 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:
> Hiya ya'll
> Basically I'm heading up to Aberdeen from London luton soon on Easyjet, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to sneak a slackline and a couple of krabs on the plane in my hand luggage.
>
> Anyone have any experience with this? Get away with it or got nicked?
> Thanks alot kids!

depends who you caught them from
Don't risk it is my advice. Check-in all your climbing gear.
 Simon Caldwell 14 Mar 2011
In reply to luckywally:
> say it climbing stuff and eventually they'll let you through

Unless they don't. In which case you either have to pay the airline for excess baggage if there's time to return to check-in. Or have to buy a replacement when you arrive at your destination, possibly wasting a day's holiday.

Don't risk it, put all climbing kit (except helmet) in the hold.
arctic_hobo 14 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:
Bear in mind too that those who've got away with it before may well have just been lucky. I accidentally left three knives with six-seven inch blades in my hand luggage and nobody noticed until 3rd transit flight in Latvia. Airport man's face went white and I got strip-searched and questioned by polis. It depends totally on how jobsworth/enthusiastic and how tired or bored your security people are. I wouldn't risk it, ropes cost a bomb if you'll forgive the pun
 net 14 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts: I once nearly had to leave my headtorch (Petzl Tikka XP) at security at Manchester a few years ago, as they thought it was too bright.

I offered to leave them the batteries, which they accepted. In the departure lounge there was, of course, ample opportunity to buy new batteries.

Clearly the torch was brighter than the security staff on duty, but I always put it in my hold luggage now.
 chris_s 14 Mar 2011
In reply to luckywally:

I remember packing crampons in my hand luggage flying to Norway in the 1990s. Those were the days.
 Mike-W-99 14 Mar 2011
In reply to chris_s:
Up until events in 2001 it was possible to buy swiss army knifes in geneva airports duty free (ie past security etc).
 existing debt 14 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

stick them in the post to your hotel/bb/campsite. or

When your there, treat your self to some new ones then post them back.

Liam M 14 Mar 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts: About 3 or 4 years ago I'd packed krabs and nuts into hand luggage. I got through to airport security who decided they didn't want me carrying them on, but instead suggested they'd put them in the hold for me. So I got a decent weight of extra hold luggage for free. I've not heard of this happening to anyone else though, so it seems I was just rather lucky.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...