UKC

Kyrgyzstan Osh advice needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hagakure7001 21 Mar 2011
Advice needed on the sort of food you can buy in Osh and what sort of shops are their ? I have seen that there is now a supermarket in Osh but very little information about. I have been to Lenin Peak but have never spent time in Osh and am returning later this year and dont want to ship stuff over, any advice kindly recieved.
ice.solo 21 Mar 2011
In reply to hagakure7001:

not much if any supermarket type stuff as we know it in the west.

the local markets are awesome tho. everything you could want from the region as far as china, iran and the middle east.
theres a few shops that call themselves supermarkets but are like grandiose convenience stores and mostly russian junk food and tinned fruit.

turkish goods are common in kyrgyzstan so there all sorts of good things in cans like dolmades etc, but lightweight stuff will mean mostly dried cereals, dried meat etc. the bread is of an amazing variety.

if you go thru bishkek, tashkent or kashgar its a good diea to stock up there.

unless you get in with a company that may have leftover stuff from previous expeditions there not a chance in hell you will find things like freeze dried stuff or gels etc.
 mlt 21 Mar 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

^^^Agreed. A lot of variety from the local markets and as long as you're not too fussed with what you eat you'll have no problem just shopping there I'd say.
 mlt 21 Mar 2011
In reply to mlt:

By the way, when are you going out there? Are you headed from the UK? If so, I am looking to get some English books I met to a family out there...
ice.solo 21 Mar 2011
In reply to hagakure7001:

i should mention that osh is a good place to fatten up and recover. the markets are full of incredible salads and vegetables and meat and bread etc. fresh food is easy to find unlike in some places.

the main streets all have big kebab shops where you can get things like whole roast chickens and half a sheep, plus less inviting things like weird entrails and heads of mammals.

stay away from the local vodka.

be aware of oshs recent and ongoing social problems. some shops may be closed and there may even be curfews.
nice town tho, despite its reputation.
arctic_hobo 21 Mar 2011
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to hagakure7001)
>
> i should mention that osh is a good place to fatten up and recover. the markets are full of incredible salads and vegetables and meat and bread etc. fresh food is easy to find unlike in some places.
>
> the main streets all have big kebab shops where you can get things like whole roast chickens and half a sheep, plus less inviting things like weird entrails and heads of mammals.
>
> stay away from the local vodka.
>
> be aware of oshs recent and ongoing social problems. some shops may be closed and there may even be curfews.
> nice town tho, despite its reputation.

+1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...