UKC

Avon Gorge - Main Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Clay C 22 Mar 2011
Ive just been flicking through the Rockfax West Country Climbs, and this states that the climbing on the right hand side of Main Wall is banned from 1st April - 30th June. Whereas the BMC RAD says its from 1st March - 30th June.

I would assume the BMC RAD is correct, but it was last updated in March 2009, whereas the Rockfax guide is much more recent.

Can anyone give a definite answer as to when the restrictions start?
James Jackson 22 Mar 2011
In reply to Clay C:

Your best bet is to just give the BMC office a quick ring. Instant gratification!
 Monk 22 Mar 2011
In reply to Clay C:

I didn't notice the signs at the weekend (I was at Main Area), but there were bikes locked up against the railings, which may have been hiding the signs). However, I did see that the peregrines were there and I assume they will be nesting very soon (if not already). Even if the ban is not in place, then I would probably give those routes a miss at the moment. Disturbing a nesting peregrine is an offence whether or not there is an official ban.
OP Clay C 22 Mar 2011
Thanks for the replies. The bikes would have been mine and my friend's, and there weren't any signs on those railings. Probably best to leave it then if the peregrines are already there, even if the ban only starts in April.
 Rob Dyer, BMC 22 Mar 2011
In reply to Clay C: Hi all, I'm checking the situation with our local BMC access volunteer Steve Findlay as the restrictions in Avon were agreed before my time at the BMC. Once I've got a definitive answer I'll post back on here and update RAD if there are any changes. Saying that 1st Mar-30th Jun is the normal breeding season for peregrine, so please avoid climbing within the restricted area until I've confirmed one way or the other.

Cheers,
Rob Dyer
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (English Regions)
 Rob Dyer, BMC 22 Mar 2011
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC: I've just had confirmation from Steve that the current RAD restriction dates of 1st Mar-30th Jun are correct.

Cheers,
Rob Dyer
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (English Regions)
Steve Findlay 22 Mar 2011
In reply to Clay C: 1st March - 30th June. The birds have been busy there for a couple of weeks at least and the bird guard at the top.

Steve
 avonclimber 29 Mar 2011
In reply to Clay C:

Was that the entrance to the right of the toilet block? There was a sign there when we were doing crag clearance works in January.

Its obviously time to make sure the signs are all there, again.

- Jerzy
 Monk 29 Mar 2011
In reply to avonclimber:

That's was the place where I saw the bikes, and I don't remember seeing any signs anywhere. It may be that I just don't notice them anymore though.
OP Clay C 29 Mar 2011
In reply to avonclimber:

Yeah, thats the entrance. I was back in Main Area over the weekend and the sign was there, it was just on the floor. I propped it up against the railings, but didnt have anything to tie it on with.

It might also be worth putting a few more up because there were a pair of climbers on Depravity (i think - it was definitely in the restricted area anyway) on Saturday. I guess if you head straight towards the left hand end of the restricted area then you might miss the signs.
 avonclimber 31 Mar 2011
I'll try to get down there after work during the week - I've got a load of shiny new signs - once I've recovered from the Cornwall debate

- Jerzy
 avonclimber 12 Apr 2011
I went down there today, and and found that all of the old signs had disappeared. A bit strange that they should all go at once...

New signs are now in place.

- Jerzy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...