UKC

Tirpentwys, south Wales, access issues?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chrispymocha 23 Mar 2011
Hi,

A couple of us went here today and were greeted at the crag by two big signs saying

'private property
Keep out
Climbing prohibited
All enquiries tel 01633 263036'
They were professional freestanding signs too.

Needless to say we didn't climb there in case there are on going issues?

Thanks,
chris
 DaveR 23 Mar 2011
In reply to chrispymocha:

Give the crag moderator an email. He bolted most of the crag so would probably be the person to ask. Or at very least he'll want to know!
OP chrispymocha 23 Mar 2011
In reply to DaveR:
Good idea and have done that now.

Just googled the number and it belongs to some surveyor and valuer company.
 petersheppard 23 Mar 2011

I'm guessing that means the land belongs to the Llanover estate. That's not good news if true.
 petersheppard 23 Mar 2011
In reply to DaveR:

Also, don't forget to report it to the BMC Access Officer!
 Paul Bowen 23 Mar 2011

Yes already know, just to say these were put up in the last couple of weeks, pretty standard procedure by any landowner (Llanover estate in this case) it's done to absolve them of any liability... it has become a very popular venue.... on saturday there were about 30 people there climbing just about all the routes, so it's up to you wether you choose to ignore them or not
 Paul Bowen 23 Mar 2011
In reply to petersheppard:
> (In reply to chrispymocha)
>
> I'm guessing that means the land belongs to the Llanover estate. That's not good news if true.

yep that's true.... they used to own alot of the mines in the area now they find they are lumbered with any quarries asscociated with them... the local councils aren't interested in taking them off their hands so they fence them off and hope nothing happens there.... i think it's just procedure.... not met anyone in 3 years asking climbers to leave
 Elfyn Jones 24 Mar 2011
We are aware of this developemnt at the BMC, and are making some discreet enquiries. It could be that it's simply the managment company refreshing some of its signage on all of its managed land and it's not particulary directed at climbers.
I'll update both here and on the BMC RAD when more information comes to light.

Elfyn Jones
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (Wales)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...