UKC

I hope you're not Irish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 30 Mar 2011
Because according to everyone's favourite doomsayer, things are just going to get worse and worse...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/2011/03/the_unbelievab...

The Eurozone (and us) aren't of the woods yet, not by a long way.
 DougG 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Feck!
 Mick Ward 30 Mar 2011

Giving so much money to the Irish was like keeping a kid on a constant diet of chocolate. However pleasurable, sooner or later, a horrible, sticky mess was going to be regurgitated.

Mick (as Irish as a sod of turf)
Daithi O Murchu 30 Mar 2011

wow,

how lucky we can be by fates alone

nearly went back there eight years ago after having a small period without job here

haveing made my mind up to retrun with GF and kids, i get a call offering a job from interview 6 months previous where i came seccond as they lad suddenly walked out

so glad i took that job and stayed here

poor feckers though

germans allways did want to own ireland anyway (for the holidays) guess they do now
 toad 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: What would be the implications for the rest of us if Ireland chose to default on its loans (I know sod all, but a skim read of the comments seems to suggest this is a real possibility)?
 Shani 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Daithi O Murachu:

Shat annoys me is the developers, financial and political classes responsible for the mess have yet to be brought to justice.
Clauso 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Shani:
>
> Shat annoys me is the developers, financial and political classes responsible for the mess have yet to be brought to justice.

Nepotism is their friend.
 MG 30 Mar 2011
"However, to date Ireland's banks have only properly owned up to the losses on the property developments.

On Thursday for the first time they'll be forced to admit that they also face colossal losses on residential mortgages."

Is covering up like this not illegal (not to mention immoral, unprofessional and so on)? Do bankers have any professional standards, or are they genuinely just charlatans?
 Simon4 30 Mar 2011

> germans allways did want to own ireland anyway

Nonsense, its much warmer in their other colonies, Greece, Spain and Portugal. If they put towels over the chairs in Cork or Dublin (not sun-loungers, we are talking about Ireland), they would be soaked in minutes.

In reply to Shani:
> (In reply to Daithi O Murachu)
>
financial and political classes, justice?

christ its ireland no chance

it will be all black market and cash in hand again now for decades

In reply to Simon4:
> (In reply to Daithi O Murachu)
>
> [...]
>
> Nonsense, its much warmer in their other colonies, Greece, Spain and Portugal. If they put towels over the chairs in Cork or Dublin (not sun-loungers, we are talking about Ireland), they would be soaked in minutes.

no its not nonsence, they wanted it for fishing mostly
 Simon4 30 Mar 2011

> no its not nonsence, they wanted it for fishing mostly

Don't they own Iceland as well? Much better fishing there.

Of course all these colonies will get a bit pricey in the end.

Who would you like to spend an evening drinking with, an Irish person or a German? The Irish, any time.

Who would you rather have repair your bathroom or car? Er, come in Hans.
KevinD 30 Mar 2011
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to Rob Exile Ward) What would be the implications for the rest of us if Ireland chose to default on its loans (I know sod all, but a skim read of the comments seems to suggest this is a real possibility)?

various UK banks have a fair amount tied up there. The help provided was handy for several banks throughout Europe, although not so much the Irish people.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...