UKC

Crux v Pod v Berghaus v Custom?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Loughan 31 Mar 2011
Hello,
I'm looking for a neat, functional rucksack for multi pitch routes and day sack around 30-40l - max, not 50l, 70l etc)
I've narrowed it down to the Pod Alpine 30, Crux AK37 and Berghaus Arete 35.

The Berghaus is off to a bad start due to the ski loops and lack of wand pockets but it is cheap compared to the others.

I've looked at the Crux in a shop and was reasonably happy with it, i liked the waterproofing, low weight, general construction and lack of flaps and fussels.

No shops i can find locally stock the Pod Alpine for comparrison and that's making the decision difficult. The Pod has recieved plenty of favourable write ups so I don't want to write it off with out some more investigation.

I'd consider custom if any one has any thoughts on that.

So constructive opinions on any of those sacks would be appreciated or maybe some others...
almost sane 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Loughan:
They are all different and will all fit you slightly differently.
The feel of the sack on my back is important, and something I pay a lot of attention to. So I suggest you try them on before deciding.

I have an old 40l Crux rucksack in the kevlar fabric, and it has withstood all manner of abuse.
I also have the old Crux 40l in the lighter weight fabric, and it has not withstood abuse nearly as well.

It is also worth checking out the Tesco sacks - they make some good kit at very attractive prices. Worth looking at Argos too, and seeing what is in the various remainder shops. I got my current expedition sack from Leckies in Falkirk - a GoLite 80l job I haven't seen elsewhere in the UK. Light and comfy, but not very abrasion resistant.
 beardy mike 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Loughan: Also worth checking out Osprey. I was a total sceptic until I got my hands on the Exposure 36 and I'm a total convert - most comfy pack I've had by far and it does everything I need it to with a minimum of fuss. They also do the Mutant which is a nice pack too and very much in line with the light/right ethos...
pbradbeer 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Loughan: Have a think about an Aiguille Alpine 'Stratos'. 37 litres. Everything you need, nothing you don't...

Paul
 oliverk 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Loughan:

I've also got an Aiguille and would definitely recommend it. They are tough, pretty light and have no superfluous features. They'll custom make them for you and the prices compare favourably to brands like Crux and Pod.

Ollie
 Mike-W-99 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Loughan:
I have a 45l arete and like it because of its simplicity and no extraneous bits and bobs dangling around. I'd be surprised if the ski loops get in the way although they are the reason why I bought it!
I also got it for a great price.

Any reason for needing wand pockets?

I did do extensive research and although I liked the fit of the ospreys I found they had too many straps and stuff hanging off of them.
 beardy mike 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

> I did do extensive research and although I liked the fit of the ospreys I found they had too many straps and stuff hanging off of them.

Which is what the Mutant addresses...

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/MutantSeriesLightweightClimbing/Mutant38/
 Goggie 31 Mar 2011
In reply to pbradbeer:
> (In reply to Loughan) Have a think about an Aiguille Alpine 'Stratos'. 37 litres. Everything you need, nothing you don't...

I've got an Aiguille Alpine Stratos. Very well made, comfortable and a good price.

It's an excellent replacement for my old POD sac which was stolen from my van a few years ago (if anyone ever sees anyone with a black and grey pod cragsac with a blue patch on the base, please let me know).

I have examined the new POD sacs and don't think they're a patch on the old ones. They're not built to last like the old ones.

OP Loughan 31 Mar 2011
In reply to oliverk: Thanks for the Aiguille sacks, they look good. I'll give them a call.

In response to wand pockets, over the years i've got used to stuffing things in to them while on the move and find them really useful. Probably one of those love 'em or hate 'em features

Thanks for all your responses folks.
Cheers, L
 Mike-W-99 31 Mar 2011
In reply to mike kann:
> (In reply to Mike_Watson_99)
>
> [...]
>
> Which is what the Mutant addresses...
>
> http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/MutantSeriesLightweightClimbing/Mutant38/

Yes, I forgot about that, really nice pack and I almost bought one. I think it was the little gear loops on the waist strap that put me off.
 mr rob 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Loughan:

You want a Rucksack=You get a Macpac

My reasoning and it hasn't let me down
 Taurig 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Loughan:

Just to throw another one into the mix, I've been very happy with my Deuter Guide 35+.

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/all/Alpine_+_Snowsport/All_Alpine_+_Snow...

Before I bought I tried the Berghaus Arete (poor fit and just generally felt cheap) and a couple of Ospreys (good fit, but too many straps and buckles etc.). The reason I went for the Deuter was firstly it fitted perfectly and secondly it felt pretty bombproof. For me it's a nice middle ground between overly complicated sacks and completely stripped down alpine numbers.

The only downside is that it's quite weighty, so if that doesn't appeal maybe take a look at the Guide Lite 32?

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/all/Alpine_+_Snowsport/All_Alpine_+_Snow...
 xoran 02 Apr 2011
In reply to Loughan: If you can get your hands on the old arete I'd definitely recommend considering it.Its pretty light, the fabric is surprisingly waterproof and it will take a fair beating. I find it pretty comfortable as well.
 chopin-smith 02 Apr 2011
In reply to Loughan:

I have 2 Berghaus Aretes -- a 35 & a 45, both the most recent models. I haven't used them much but think their great so far.

PROS:
Very cheap (I paid about 40-45 quid each one IIRC)
Very light
Limited dangling bits

CONS:
Won't last anywhere near as long as a Macpac (will anything?)
Lacking in back support (but do you need it?)

I see them as cheap, throwaway, fast-and-light climbing-only sacs. If you want something that will last a lifetime, look elsewhere. If travelling on buses/planes/trains alot, I'd recommend getting something more solid.
 Jon Wickham 02 Apr 2011
In reply to Loughan: I would consider the Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack 34:45 that is coming out some time soon. The POD Crux are Osprey are all good sacks though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...