UKC

Ojos del Salado now higher than Aconcagua?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
almost sane 01 Apr 2011
Some friends of mine work on satellite survey data for an oil exploration company, but they like to look at mountains in their spare time (even if it isn't exactly their spare time, I suspect you know what I mean).

Anyways, preliminary data from south America after the recent spate of earth movements round the Ring of Fire is that Ojos del Salado has risen and Aconcagua has sunk slightly, so it looks like Salado will be the new seven summit peak for South America.

Thing is, my mates daren't let on what they have found, as strictly speaking they shouldn't have been doing it. So is anyone in a position to confirm or deny this? I know some folks out there have access to satellite survey data, or contacts with the various geological services.
 lowersharpnose 01 Apr 2011
In reply to almost sane:

What's the date?
 Nj 01 Apr 2011
In reply to almost sane: good story, shame about the date!
almost sane 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Nj:

I thought it was worth a try...
 lowersharpnose 01 Apr 2011
In reply to almost sane:

It was. I feel a spoilsport for my post now.
almost sane 01 Apr 2011
In reply to almost sane:

I'm doing better of Facebook with my suggestion that folks go to the Ballachulish Spring Nuddy Dip, where folks go for a naked swim in Loch Leven.

If it is true that people are more likely to believe the lie they wish was true, expect a for-real UKC nudist swim sometime soon...
 Fat Bumbly2 01 Apr 2011
In reply to almost sane: In the past the Chile government have tried to pull that one, as with the Bolivians who tried to tell us that Ancohuma was a 7000m job.

Has anyone ever noticed the number of country high points just over 5000, 4000 or 3000m? Hills seem to be important to national willy waving.
 Damo 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:
>
> Has anyone ever noticed the number of country high points just over 5000, 4000 or 3000m? Hills seem to be important to national willy waving.

And to getting more peak fees. There are more than a few Karakoram and Himalayan peaks that are lower than their 'official' height but keeping them just over 7000 or 6500 or whatever ups the money they get.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...