UKC

Trail running footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Mountains 12 Apr 2011
Just getting into trail running and am at presaent using my Asics Gel Kayano 15 trainers as seen here: http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ASI853/asics-gel-kayano-15-running-shoes...
These seen fine (in the dry) on grass & hardpack, but I am presuming they won't fair so well on rocky terrain?? Can't really afford any new trail runners at the moment, but looking for any pointers, recommendations, pitfalls etc...
Ta

Also if anyone is flogging any trail running shoes in size 11 give me a shout
 Stuzz 12 Apr 2011
In reply to Andy Mountains:

I've been using a pair of Salomon Fusion Dry softshell shoes which have been amazingly good. Not sure they're still made though which is a pity as i'll need a new pair soon!

Worth a look if you can find them though
In reply to Stuzz:

I've had a good look around Google & can't find any currently for sale. Good luck tho
Talius Brute 12 Apr 2011

I've been using Mizuno Wave Harrier 2 for a while and I love them - best on wet grass / mud, but they've also done a lot of rocky trails in the alps. They are very light, have great grip, and the Mizuno Wave cushioning which is good but still pretty flat (meaning you run pretty naturally and have good feel), and best of all they are available for about £30 or £40 at the moment I think.
Dirk Didler 13 Apr 2011
In reply to Andy Mountains: You could try a pair of Asics gel trabuco 13,i,ve had a pair for a few months now and can highly recommend them,there great off road but will also let you do a few miles on road,there reinforced in all the right places for difficult terrian,they retail for about £90 but i got a pair from Donnagh sports"think i,ve spelt that name wrong" online for £50.

Ended up treating myself to a pair of Inov8 Roclite 319's.
 The New NickB 15 Apr 2011

Few guys at my club rave about the Mizuno Wave Harriers, not tried them myself. I wear a pair of Adidas Kanadia or Inov-8 X-Talon 212 for off road. The Inov-8 are very light and pretty aggressive, but unforgiving if you are running on hard surfaces for any length of time. The Adidas are comfy, cheap and more than adequate for most traily stuff.
dinkypen 16 Apr 2011
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to Andy Mountains)
>
> The Adidas Kanadia are comfy, cheap and more than adequate for most traily stuff.

Totally agree - amazingly grippy on downhill tracks and paths too
 eglwyseg-andy 16 Apr 2011
In reply to Andy Mountains: I've got Inov8 Roclites, must be a beginners thing, love them, very grippy & you can feel what's going on under your feet.
In reply to MrQ:

Well I'll be using them for the first time in the Carrneddau (Snowdonia) tomorrow, so will see how I get on with them

Used them for the first time yesterday. Did a 15.7 mile loop in the Carneddau. Ran the flats & downs (walked the ups!)
They felt good. Although was slightly suprised at how soft the soles are, but I think other Roclite styles have tougher soles than the 319's.
Looking forward to trying them again.
 Banned User 77 18 Apr 2011
In reply to Andy Mountains: Well done...that's a big run, most runners walk the ups, you just run more and more hills as you progress but I'm the ultimate hill walker and always first to start walking,

Tuesday evening race series now on...www.eryriharriers.org.uk

In reply to IainRUK:

Thanks Iain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...