ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - question about "tying in" to the middle of the rope

Mutl3y - on 25 Apr 2011
Alright, genuine question.

It's common practice to climb on both ends of a single doubled rope for short single pitch routes. The second then ties into the middle of the rope using a slightly bigger than normal figure of eight. No problem.

However, the last couple of years I have taken to doing something quite a bit simpler when seconding - take the middle of the rope, pass it through the belay loop, pull the loop over my whole body, step through it, then tighten (I hope this description makes sense!).

The advantage of this is that it's even quicker than a normal knot, both for putting on and taking off. The disadvantage is that it's (I guess) slightly less safe. But I think that it would only actually be dangerous in some bizarre situation where, for example, the knot became snagged on something and undid... but I'm clutching a bit.

What do others' think and does anyone else do this?

... not showing 51 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums