UKC

Goat Crag Borrowdale - Big routes back in nick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 awsomal 26 Apr 2011
With the recent brilliant weather Goat Crag Borrowdale has been getting attention from the 'adopt a crag' team in Keswick.
Routes that have been climbed are DDT , Praying Mantis, Point Blank (1st Pitch),Tumbleweed Connection, The Voyage,Athanor ,and The Thieving Magpie, with further visits this week to climb Bitter Oasis , Mirage and hopefully Footless Crow.
Many of the routes are been climbed in 1 pitch giving huge 55m routes.These routes are superb Tumbleweed Connection has to be one of the best E2's in the country.
See you up there.
Al
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 26 Apr 2011
In reply to awsomal:

This reminds me of all your good efforts to clean up Dove Crag back in 2003.

Have you seen this: http://www.climbonline.co.uk/dove_crag.htm
 Ron Kenyon 26 Apr 2011
In reply to awsomal:

Well done Al - well worth the effort to keep the crag clean.

What is needed is a bridge or stepping stones across the river so that you can get access from the car park below Wodens Face - and make the crag a bit more accessible.
 Harry Ellis 26 Apr 2011
In reply to awsomal: Check out needlesports facebook page for useful updates as well as staff members are checking and cleaning routes for the B'dale guide.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Needle-Sports/141789682556512
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 28 Apr 2011
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

The river is so low at the moment that you can easily cross it. No excuses.

Now is a good time to go up to Goat Crag as there are no midges either.

I understand Al has cleaned off more routes now too!

Anonymous 28 Apr 2011
In reply to Steve Crowe:
Hi Al, Good to see you at work on Goat the other day! Thought i would use this thread to let folk know that Borderline, up on East Buttress, got a good cleaning and also replaced the tat on the peg and thread.Rained the next day so didn't get on it! Must be in perfect nick now, maybe get back down for a try soon.
Anyone else out cleaning stuff?
Cheers Iain S.
 andy gittins 28 Apr 2011
In reply to awsomal:

Good work - thanks - have really been looking forward to getting back on these routes for a while (based in S. Lakes now)- remember doing Tumbleweed, Bitter etc about 20 years ago - they are the best - would be interested to hear updates on the crag / state of in situ gear if still required. Keen to get on The Voyage in particular.
OP awsomal 28 Apr 2011
In reply to Ron Kenyon:
getting the kids to set up dingy crossing , £1.00 each way, It will have to rain though!!
Al.
OP awsomal 28 Apr 2011
In reply to andright:
Bitter Oasis climbed yesterday. New Peg in Footless at start of the crux section, Mirage bottom section cleaned requires a bit more work though.
Wild Times (search that one out) looks brill top half needs a bit more work.
Al.
 Enty 29 Apr 2011
In reply to awsomal:

This is amazing news and here I am 1000 miles away

Some knobber with no sense of history will be along soon an complain about the new peg.

Well done!

E
 Ssshhh 29 Apr 2011
In reply to awsomal:
Great effort Al, really psyched to visit the crag in a clean state. Appreciate the effort.
 Dave Rumney 29 Apr 2011
In reply to awsomal:
Good effort. I did Tumbleweed Connection on a hot Sunday in May a couple years ago and it needed a lot on cleaning en route which made the 1st pitch quite exciting in places. We had the crag to ourselves for most of the day.

It's such a great crag and deserves a spring clean to hopefully get the popularity it used to have.

NB. I seem to recall that the tree at the top of Praying Mantis is probably dead and not to be trusted for a belay.
 GeoffG 02 May 2011
In reply to Dave Rumney:
Great effort Al. Will try to get a team from here to go do some of the routes soon. We need more people like you who are prepared to put the effort in to keep these routes open. I have great memories of Goat.

Geoff Goddard.
 Adam Lincoln 02 May 2011
In reply to awsomal:

Awesome work! Hopefully get up soon. Keep up the good work.
 John Dale 03 May 2011
In reply to awsomal: Camping at Hollows farm this weekend so no excuses for a trip up to Goat - did DDT yesterday (including the less travelled second pitch) fantastic route and in great condition. Point Blank also chalked up and looked really good. Thanks for all your efforts, keep up the good work!
 Dave Parton 04 May 2011
In reply to GeoffG: My sentiments exactly ! Great memories of this crag from back in the day. Myself and 3 other lads climbed here Royal Wedding day. We climbed Praying Mantis Direct, Thieving Magpie, DDT, Point Blank and Voyage/Tumbleweed combo all routes done in single 55m pitches. Fantastic day routes had been cleaned very well. Thieving Magpie is probably one of the best single pitch E3's I have done in the North Lakes. All I can say is get up there and climb em all keep em clean. Good work Al. I'm Looking fwd to getting back up there very soon and having a spin on Mirage..
In reply to awsomal: Brilliant work, I'll be heading up in the next few weeks
 GDes 04 May 2011
We were up there on saturday, in great nick, everything well chalked. SHame it was so bloody cold!
In reply to awsomal: Awesome news! Climbed alone in space there last summer, but it was so dirty we decided not to do tumbleweed connection, if I get back up to the lakes I will be paying it a visit was a brilliant crag, just so dirty!

Nice one guys hopefully that climbing Karma you get from this will get you that route you really want!

DC
OP awsomal 05 May 2011
In reply to DaveyP:
> (In reply to GeoffG) My sentiments exactly ! Great memories of this crag from back in the day. Myself and 3 other lads climbed here Royal Wedding day. We climbed Praying Mantis Direct, Thieving Magpie, DDT, Point Blank and Voyage/Tumbleweed combo all routes done in single 55m pitches. Fantastic day routes had been cleaned very well. Thieving Magpie is probably one of the best single pitch E3's I have done in the North Lakes. All I can say is get up there and climb em all keep em clean. Good work Al. I'm Looking fwd to getting back up there very soon and having a spin on Mirage..

Wez and i climbed Mirage earlier this week. Brilliant. Don't get tempted by old gear on 2nd pitch, climb rightwards from belay up and across wall from belay , then back left using undercuts in overhang then clip old gear.
AL.
OP awsomal 05 May 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell:
Alone in Space climbed this week.Fantastic route, don't miss out that top pitch it's brilliant. Please take some rope etc for the tree at the top to leave insitu.You can ab all the way to the deck from top with 60m ropes - just!!
Al.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 05 May 2011
In reply to awsomal:

Mirage is great, isn't it Al?

Now, how about a repeat of Trojan Horse...?

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...