UKC

Hodge Close Rock Fall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CragRat11 26 Apr 2011
Just seen a message about this on the FRCC website posted by Al P. Anybody have any more info? Anybody been to Hodge over the past couple of days? I was there last week and didn't notice any rockfall at all. Be a shame if more routes have fallen down.
 Mike Hartley 2 26 Apr 2011
In reply to CragRat11:

Hi Cragrat11,

I was there 2 days ago and nothing looked amiss but then again, I was really looking for massive changes in the quarry. Certainly nothing sprung out at me, and I've been up there enough to notice any major change.

I did notice a significant change in Tilberthwaite Upper Quarry through where it seems Spare Rib as fallen down. I'm not sure how stable the rib (or lack of) is now, but it's looking like more could come down and for anybody climbing on that particular bit of rock, the landing looks plain nasty.

Cheers,

Fletch.
OP CragRat11 26 Apr 2011
In reply to Fletch: Cheers Fletch, I was the same when I was there the other day. Didn't notice anything different and have spent quite a lot of time there in the past. Maybe its easier to see if you are actively looking for it.
 djmarko75 26 Apr 2011
In reply to Fletch:

Ha ha I climbed Spare Rib last year and to my shock the thing was overhanging! I remember doing it years ago and didn't remember it being that steep.

Anyway after doing the start which was prob about F6b rather than F6a I got to the easier section and to my total dismay discovered the whole route had come away from the crag leaving a massive crevesse behing it.

After a very quick lower off the belay I could see that the tree routes had forced the rock to split!

Quite strong them trees you know.
 Stuart Wood 26 Apr 2011
In reply to CragRat11:

About 4 weeks ago, Rob Matheson was shunting Limited Addition when a big rock fall occured over the diving board. Shortly after I was doing Carpe Diem, from the top you can clearly see where the rock fall has occurred, there is lots of tottering shite and a huge fracture line behind a big chunk of rock above the diving board. I would avoid the all weather gym but this has not affected the rest of the routes in the quarry.
On a seperate note a television sized block was pulled from through the looking glass at the same time.
Be Careful.
 sutty 26 Apr 2011
In reply to CragRat11:

Been nice and sunny, but remember the six weeks of freezing from mid November to new year? There will be lots of stuff cracked up all over the place, check whole routes, not just the holds I should think?

FFS, someone has stolen Deer Bield Buttress. Mr frost and rain I presume.
In reply to CragRat11:

And be aware that a significant flake on TYA and Wicked Willie has departed which makes both routes harder. See the Logbooks.

Hodge is unfortunately constantly falling down and will continue to do so. I was standing on the diving board in about 1986 when a block the size of a caravan fell down in Parrock, just behind me - I thought the world was ending.

This is the time of year too, after a cold winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...