UKC

MSR Wind Pro Versus Primus Spider

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alan1961 27 Apr 2011
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a gas stove for lightweight back packing and wild camping. After a bit of research I think I've narrowed the contenders down to the MSR Wind Pro and the Primus Spider.

I just thought I'd ask the people on here for their comments and advice.

Many Thanks

Alan
 wilkesley 02 May 2011
In reply to alan1961:

I have got a Primus Gravity, which is very similar to the Spider. I am generally very happy with it, works well in cold conditions and is very stable.

Two very minor problems:

The supplied wind shield soon breaks when folded/unfolded. The aluminium foil used is not suitable for this use. Solution - buy some foil dishes from the Pound Shop and make your own wind shield.

The Piezo igniter will melt if you surround it with the wind shield. I don't trust these anyway and always carry a fire steel.
 mr rob 02 May 2011
In reply to alan1961:

Put it this way, one is designed by MSR the other by Primus. Primus makes the best stoves in the world, msr dont.

Never used the Spider but have a gravity and omnifuel. Also had/used the msr equivalent and there is no comparison

To surmise the primus, always
 chopin-smith 02 May 2011
In reply to alan1961:

I have a Windpro. Fantastic bit of kit, and have never had bad experiences with MSR, quite the contrary.
The Primus Spider looks very similar and is a similar weight. Never used one though.

Both companies though have good reputations so I;d say you couldn;t go wrong with either.
The choice though to go for a gas stove with a remote cannister connection is a good one -- really helps in cold weather and optimises cannister use.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...