UKC

down jacket-waterproof or not? discuss

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cf 16 May 2003
cos a bloke in snow and rock said waterproof is a waste of time as body moisture messes it up from the inside...but then if u get caught in a shower, won't your normal down get messed up from the outside?

what about synthetic equivalents? are they any good?
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 16 May 2003
In reply to cf:
Patagonia Puff Jacket. £130, great hood. Synthetic but light and compresses well. All you need.
Down is not good if there's any danger of it getting wet imho.
As for getting a waterproof down jacket, fair enough if you've got money to burn but if you can't air it, its true that over time body moisture will tend to reduce the down's loft.
Just get a Puff Jacket.
Tobs 16 May 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: i just stick a goretex over the top of my down - still lots of air trapped inside down and ekeps me toastie...
cf 16 May 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: cheers! but are normal down ones ok if its just a little shower and u don't get them soaked?
 MJH 16 May 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: Dave, do you have them in any colour except olive?

Thanks Mike
 MJH 16 May 2003
In reply to cf: depends on how water resistant the outer is...if it is a pertex outer with some sort of DWR finish it should be OK for a quick shower, but once the down gets wet it becomes useless.
OP Mark 16 May 2003
In reply to cf:

I would say that there isn't much point in getting a waterproof jacket. If its cold enough for you to want a down jacket, then it will be so cold that the snow will be completely dry anyway.
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 16 May 2003
In reply to MJH:
should be available in a better colour (black or red) next season.
cf 16 May 2003
In reply to :

erm. just wondered- can u get down jackets dry cleaned?
OP Mark 16 May 2003
In reply to cf:
> (In reply to )
>
> erm. just wondered- can u get down jackets dry cleaned?

I think you can, but you can also just put them in the washing machine.
 vscott 16 May 2003
In reply to cf: Only down jacket that really solves this problem is the rab batura- waterproof outer, but a cunning internal zip allows you to turn the down lining inside out so that it dries quicker. Amazing bit of kit but costs about 300 squid, and is possibly too warm for british use. Otherwise, synthetic duvets like the patagucci are great and half the price!
In reply to cf:

> can u get down jackets dry cleaned?

Most down stuff I've seen says not to dry clean; my down bags certainly do. I think it's something to do with the cleaning solvent removing the natural oils from the down. Best to check the care label.
OP Mark 16 May 2003
In reply to vscott:
> Amazing bit of kit but costs about 300 squid...

Thats not that expensive; a squid weighs 50g and 1kg of squid costs about £10. Thus 300 squid approximates to about £150 in monetary terms. I've heard of this type of jacket selling for £300 in some shops!

666DENVER666 16 May 2003
In reply to cf:

Ha Arc'teryx Fission solve the worlds wonder with the coolest jacket ever. gore-tex fully insulated water tight zips and a big hood.

Makes you look like you work at an airport too

Or the TNF McMurdo parka for the full down goretex i'm working for a drug dealer / British Antartic Survey look
cf 16 May 2003
In reply to mike at rock and run: i just tried to buy that patagonia puff jacket from rock and run....but they said they've sold out,and apparently the suppliers can't help either....

and suggestions?
OP jono 18 May 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run:

any experience of new (ish) puffball sweater?

Whilst I've got you- is it still possible to get hold of driclime with hood?
 Timmd 18 May 2003
In reply to vscott:Mountaineering designs who refurbish down bags sell their own down jackets,one of which is waterproof and costs 180 pounds.
Cheers
Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...