UKC

PYB Conville Course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Milesy 05 May 2011
Anyone else on it?

I have been accepted (on my third and last possible attempt due to age).

22-24 June.
 stewieatb 05 May 2011
In reply to Milesy:

I know I've been accepted but not sure of the dates yet. Sometime in early July (I can't remember which I applied for, which doesn't help).
 Styx 05 May 2011
In reply to Milesy: Yup! 26-28th here. Thinking about staying on for a bit in Cham if I can find someone to do some routes with... It'd be a shame not to!
 Tim_C7 05 May 2011
In reply to Milesy:

Heading to the North Wales 28th 29th May... Anyone else??? I fance some trad on the Monaday 30th May.

Got accepted for the Alps one, 15th-17th June, but can't go (conflicts with my US roadtrip and subsequent bankruptcy). So someone else will get a chance .
 design crisis 05 May 2011
In reply to Styx:

I am on the course 26th till the 28th. Very exited, it will be my first time out there.
 Brev 06 May 2011
In reply to Milesy:

Yes, 15-17th of June, a bit nervous, but mostly very excited about it!
 Styx 06 May 2011
In reply to design crisis: Nice one! Me too. I started packing last night, haha.

How are you thinking of getting there?
 loz1234 06 May 2011
In reply to Milesy:

22nd to the 24th June for me too!
 design crisis 06 May 2011
In reply to Styx:

Well at the mo, going to drive out, my friend is coming aswell, we were aiming to do something before the course and after. There could be a spare seat in the van to share fuel and toll costs. Where are you based?

Jonny
 mattrm 06 May 2011
In reply to Milesy:

Milesy and loz - I'm on the 22nd -24th of June as well. Really looking forward to it. Just working out how to get over there, where to stay and what to take etc.
 stewieatb 06 May 2011
In reply to Milesy:

Proper email arrived today - 3rd to 5th of July. I'm getting the coach from London on the 30th, arriving on the 1st
 m4rije 06 May 2011
Yay been accepted too (last chance as well: I'm getting old!)

17-19th of July

If anyone else is accepted for those days, get in touch if you'd be interested in arranging transport together & maybe tagging on a few days to practice our newly gained skills...
 Styx 06 May 2011
In reply to design crisis: Sounds good Jonny, I'm in Warrington, Cheshire. A group of my mates are going to be in Zermatt from the 29th so I'm planning to hook up with them for a week to do some routes as well I think, quite lucky!
 Bob Peters 07 May 2011
In reply to Milesy:
I'm on the 13th - 15th, seems like I'm the only one! Going early and coming back late, not sure how I'm getting there yet, possibly hitching depending on time

B
 Petarghh 07 May 2011
In reply to Milesy: I was on the Conville last year. Fully Reccommend getting the Eurolines coach over (I will be myself in 3 weeks), you get huge baggage allowance and it drops you off at the train station in Cham.

Stay at Bernards campsite (Chosalets - Argentiere) for the Course, everything runs from there, so just shell out for 3 nights and you will be with everyone else from the course in the good old english "ghetto".

If you are coming onto a later course, get to the campsite and ask if anyone has a lift pass for sale, i picked up a 10 day pass for £40 last year so some bargains about !

The course is pretty full on and definitely one of the best experiences of my life, got some uni mates going on the course this year so will be at the site a couple of times for BBQ's and beer!

Going to be an epic summer !

Pete.

Oh and if you;'re on the first course as I was last year, it was bloody freezing for the first few days, dont skimp on belay jackets etc, we needed them all 3 days of the course ! It warmed up lots afterwards
 LucaC 09 May 2011
In reply to Milesy: I'm on the 10-12th July course, and I'm quite possibly going to drive down if anyone wants a lift and will split petrol. I'm also happy to go another way, to have some company, if there are any others heading out around the 7th-8th or back around 15-16th.
 pricey11 12 May 2011
In reply to Brev:

Hey I'm in 15-17th June too, really excited! You any idea where you will be staying yet?
 pricey11 12 May 2011
In reply to Tim_C7:

Tim I may have got your place! I originally didnt get in and then got an email saying a place had come available for 15-17th June. I guess a thankyou is in order Hope you have a good US road trip!
 Tim_C7 12 May 2011
In reply to Hannah Price:

Haa cool, ur welcome I guess, I hope u enjoy the alps!!!

I'm a little jealous but I console myself with thoughts of Yosemitie!
jimmyt 12 May 2011
In reply to LJC:
Im also on the 10-12th July course, am planning to fly out on the 9th and return on the 19th/20th
 mattrm 13 May 2011
In reply to Milesy:

Well my flights are booked and the cheque for the course is in the post. So I'm nearly all set. Just got to sort out transfers either end. Rather excited now.
 grp 13 May 2011
In reply to m4rije:

i'm on the 17th-19th of july and keen to stay on after

i cant e-mail you from your ukc profile so try mine,
 Brev 13 May 2011
In reply to Hannah Price:

Im thinking of staying at the Chosalets/Argentiere campsite that was mentioned in the email. Just because it seems most convenient, also because some of my friends who have done the course previously said that most people will be staying there so it is really easy to find people to go climbing with after the course has finished.

Do you know how you'll be travelling there?
 mark20 13 May 2011
I'm on the Conville 10th-12th July and keen to stay out for 3 or 4 weeks after. Don't have a partner yet so if anyone fancies it then let me know
 NickoClimb 13 May 2011
In reply to Milesy:

Got on the 3rd to 5th of July. Getting the coach down from London on the 23rd, should be staying around 4/5 weeks, Cant wait!!
 stewieatb 13 May 2011
In reply to NickoClimb:

Ah! Same dates. Going down later though as I have to finish my exams first! I'm staying at Les Chosalets (AKA Glacier d'Argentiere) as it's pretty well priced and the course starts there on days 1&2, so it makes getting there on time easy
 mark_chal 14 May 2011
Hey folks,
i was on the conville last year and it was awesome. Quick note about the kit guide, when they say you need a 2x240cm slings(if it still says this), this is an old fashioned way of saying a 120cm sling (if you measure a 120cm sling its circumference is actually 240cm)so don't do what i (and most others) did and buy two massive slings that are no use!!!!! The guides were going to try and get the list changed but i'm not sure if they have. Hope you have fun out there!
 AlexxelA 14 May 2011
In reply to Milesy: Im on the 17th - 19th july. Very excited, and would like to stay on afterwards. Are most people coaching it?
 AlexxelA 14 May 2011
In reply to m4rije: Hi, I cant email you, but we are on the same course and it would be good to team up afterwards!
 pricey11 15 May 2011
In reply to Brev:

Yeah I was thinking of staying there too, good way of getting climbing with new people.

I'm still not sure how I'm getting there. Was torn between flying and coaching. Considering the coach at the moment as there is no weight limit, even if it does take a lot longer! How were you thinking of getting there?

Hannah
 m4rije 15 May 2011
In reply to AlexxelA & grp:
heya - i just noticed I pm'ed you without being logged in - hence you got a big warning message about not trusting the email etc etc. Sorry. It was me
 m4rije 15 May 2011
In reply to texeltup:

thanks for the info, it does indeed still say 2x240cm slings!

How strict are they with the alpine curved pick style ice axe? What if I arrive with a straight one or say, a DMM Fly (if Santa gives me any delayed goodies...)?
In reply to m4rije:
> How strict are they with the alpine curved pick style ice axe? What if I arrive with a straight one or say, a DMM Fly (if Santa gives me any delayed goodies...)?

I imagine you'll probably be shot!
In reply to Milesy: I will be on the course starting 10th July. Planning on staying out afterwards for a couple of weeks.
 Petarghh 15 May 2011
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: ha !
 Brev 16 May 2011
In reply to hannahp:

Hey,

will probably get the coach even though it will be a ridiculously long journey; overnight megabus from Scotland to London and then the Eurolines coach to Chamonix. I just think that camping gear + climbing gear together will weigh more than the limit on most airlines (without paying lots).
I might have a look at taking the train as well, might be more expensive, but a bit quicker and more comfortable.
 LucaC 16 May 2011
In reply to Milesy: As I posted in another thread - I'm driving down on the 8th July for a week for the course, still room to give a lift if anyone wants to chip in for petrol/eurotunnel. I don't have an excess baggage fee either!
 mattrm 16 May 2011
In reply to hannahp:

I'm flying. But if you've got the time and are staying out for a while, coach is the way to go. Much cheaper and you can take loads more gear. Still I reckon I'll get it all in under 20kgs, fingers crossed. Just won't be able to take much 'just in case' gear. Which is probably a good thing.

m4rije - I'm having that problem as well. I've got a pair of Petzl Quarks and I was just going to bring one of them. Nice and light and I've been very happy with them in Scotland. I'm going to try and scrounge a 'alpine' axe from a mate tho.

I was planning on taking 120cm slings as well. I've climbed with enough guides now to have an idea of what they want and use the most.
 JoshOvki 16 May 2011
In reply to Milesy:

Not doing the Conville Course, but I am going down for a monthish, 1st July until I get bored or run out of Money.

If you guys are staying on Bernards campsite I will more than likaly see you around.
 design crisis 16 May 2011

My friend and I are going to be driving out there on Saturday the 18th of June and comming back on the 3/4 of July, there is possibly room for one person.

Jonny
 Petarghh 16 May 2011
In reply to mattrm:
> (In reply to hannahp)
>

>
> m4rije - I'm having that problem as well. I've got a pair of Petzl Quarks and I was just going to bring one of them. Nice and light and I've been very happy with them in Scotland. I'm going to try and scrounge a 'alpine' axe from a mate tho.
>

IIRC a guy on my course used a DMM Fly axe - The guides aren't too fussed so long as you can create an ice axe belay with the tool and it has an Adze (So pretty much no fusions or nomics!)

Don't quote me on that, but something like a Fly or Quark with adze "should" be fine.
 mattrm 17 May 2011
In reply to Milesy:

Does anyone know how much Les Chosalets campsite is per night?
 Bradders 17 May 2011
On the course 29th June to 1st July. Getting coach out and staying out for a couple of months after
 AlexxelA 17 May 2011
In reply to mattrm: I think this is the website of the campsite: http://www.campingchamonix.com/

As far as I can tell its 5.20 euros per night for an adult. But then their is a column on the table which says "tent - 2.50" so that might mean its 5.20+2.50 - 7.70.

Cheers
 Petarghh 17 May 2011
In reply to AlexxelA: Correct - 7.70 a night, its a nice enough site, and the owner puts all the convillers in the same (inevitably hilly) spot, hot showers and a nice indoor room with plug sockets and tables etc to get away from the midges in the evening.
 AlexxelA 17 May 2011
In reply to Petarghh: Cool thanks for confirming that.
 AlistairB 17 May 2011
In reply to Milesy: Since all the campsites are much of a muchness in terms of price, anyone know which if any let you pay a reduced rate whilst out on the mountain / stash kit somewhere?
 Lew13 18 May 2011
In reply to AlistairB:

Having only really stayed at bernard's site in L'Argentiere they let me keep my gear in there for free when I went up in the mountains; it was for 3 days and they just let me chuck my bag in the washing room (which gets locked). However previous to this I had spent 3 weeks there! Other than that there are plenty of places just to stash gear in the valley!
 ben.richards 18 May 2011
In reply to m4rije: Hey, I'm there for the 17th-19th July - probably getting the coach down on the 14th/15th. Could be tempted to stay a day or two after if the cash flow allows but as a few weeks later I'm off to the dolomites that may not be the case!
 ben.richards 18 May 2011
In reply to AlexxelA:
> (In reply to Milesy) Im on the 17th - 19th july. Very excited, and would like to stay on afterwards. Are most people coaching it?

Snap! 17th - 19th too, will probably getting the coach on the 14th/15th. may stay for a day or two after...not sure yet though
 AlexxelA 20 May 2011
In reply to ben.richards: Cool, may see you on the coach if its the same one. As for staying on, you know it makes sense.
 AlexxelA 20 May 2011
In reply to Milesy: Also, does anyone know if we have to book this campsite in advance or just roll up before the course? Cheers
 Petarghh 20 May 2011
In reply to AlexxelA: you cant book it, just roll up and there will be space
 AlexxelA 20 May 2011
In reply to Petarghh: Cool, cheers.
 sleeplessjb 07 Jun 2011
In reply to LJC: hey hey, that's the one I got on, goin out early as i've got to be back after but if people are up for doin things that be ace...
 mattrm 07 Jun 2011
In reply to sleeplessjb:

So are other people nearly ready? I guess a few have been out already? I'm totally psyched now and all my gear (apart for maybe a couple of ice screws) has been bought.
 sleeplessjb 13 Jun 2011
In reply to Milesy: would anyone be up for something like the Dent du Géant, from the other side of the tunnel on like the 7th or 8th ish??
 Petarghh 13 Jun 2011
In reply to sleeplessjb: Man up and walk the Vallee Blanche
 mattrm 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Milesy:

Anyone know how cold it is in the campsite overnight? Can I get away with sleeping in a sleeping bag liner? Or do I need a 1/2 season sleeping bag?
 peas65 14 Jun 2011
In reply to mattrm:

IT CAN get pretty cold, i would take 2 season bag at least.
 Petarghh 15 Jun 2011
In reply to mattrm: I have been walking round Cham at night wearing a thin belay jacket, so it doest get pretty cold, I remember last year just using my bivi sleeping bag (Rab alpine 400) just unzipped and it wasnt too hot.

Sun hits the tents at about 8:30am and it goes from sleep to oven in 30 seconds flat !

Praise be to an apartment this season !! lol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...