UKC

Clubs and minimum age

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just trying to review our policy on minimum age for new members and wondered what other clubs have down in their club rules/guidelines.

Do you make exceptions, does it differ if a younger member is accompanied by an adult, do you have different guidelines for hut meets (we don't have our own hut?)

A good friend of mine who doesn't at present climb brings his young lad (12 I think) climbing on club nights but I have made it clear that I am doing it as a favour to him and has nothing to do with the club... he just happens to come down on club nights and comes to the pub after. I am also going to show his dad how to set up and belay from the top so that it doesn't cock about with my tuesday night climbing.
 JFraser123 09 May 2011
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):
What is your current minimum age? I guess if your going to let under 16's in you will need to deal with some sort of CRB stuff and additional safety stuff, like parent/guardian informed consent.
Working with over 18's is so much easy, as they can sign their own lives away.
With regards to huts, as there is no separate changing/sleeping areas for under 16's I would expect enforcing an 'accompanied by an adult' rule would be the best idea, otherwise you could be open to all sorts of issues.
Having said that it seems a shame to have to think about all that when it'd be nice to just get younger people out climbing because they enjoy it!

Cheers,

Joe
In reply to JFraser123:

ermmm I think its 16 if accompanied 18 if not... though I'm currently looking for the document to confirm this! Someone else thinks its a blanket 18 which seems a but harsh to me
 Owen Meany 09 May 2011
> (In reply to JFraser123)
>
> ermmm I think its 16 if accompanied 18 if not... though I'm currently looking for the document to confirm this! Someone else thinks its a blanket 18 which seems a but harsh to me

Our club has a blanket over 18 policy, but that's mainly because that's what the majority of club members want (including those with children - they appear to like have the odd weekend away completely child-free).

We have a vote on the issue every couple of years, but with maybe one exception I can't think of anyone who's suggested changing the current policy. I guess that might change if there were more members who wanted to bring kids along, but I can't imagine we'd ever look to accept under 18s unless accompanied by an adult.
 Rog Wilko 09 May 2011
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): Lancs C & CC has reluctantly come to the conclusion that the only way we can protect ourselves is to restrict membership to adults. Under 18s can come on meets if accompanied by their parents. I suppose this is just a further manifestation of the safety/liability culture which so dominates everything in a litigious society.
 JDal 10 May 2011
We took years over this in the Northumbrian MC, and now have a policy based on BMC guidance which is perfectly workable for us. The BMC document is at http://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmcNews/media/u_content/File/clubs_huts/clubs/Club%...

(I think that's the latest version)
 Toerag 10 May 2011
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): We operate 12-16 with a parent, then over 16 unacompanied. We've had trouble in the past when 1 keen lad and his mate joined (which was fine), then a month later 2 of their mates then appeared - soon after messing around became more fun than climbing (they climbed and were taught some stuff too) and so we got rid of them. Our current policy is to allow 'juniors' to come with parents as it tends to keep them under control. Once the parents have seen how we climb outdoors (trad only here) and are happy with their kid's safety then we will let them come unaccompanied as long as we're happy with their behaviour.
I learnt to climb in scouts, and I believe that at the age of 12 kids are old enough to listen and do what they're told.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...