UKC

Good knot to tie off after an atc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
milford cubicle 12 May 2011
I'm just about to go and set up my new slackline but i need to know what knot to use on it. The lines got an atc as a brake and i need to tie off after it with a really strong knot but know nothing about knots lol. This is the set up http://www.landcruising-slacklines.de/index.php?category_id=32&page=sho... any suggestions?

x
 bradholmes 12 May 2011
In reply to milford cubicle: Clove hitch to the krab nearest the actual slackline maybe? Try looking for "tying off a belay plate" on youtube, if there's enough room that might be an option.....That's what I'd do but I know nothing about slacklines so if it goes belly up you're on your own!
 deepsoup 12 May 2011
In reply to milford cubicle:
Wow. That looks like a really expensive set up.

Its an ATC Guide used in its 'magic-plate' mode innit? Does it really need to be tied off as well?
ice.solo 12 May 2011
In reply to deepsoup:

yeah, thats seems pretty full on. wouldnt 2 krabs as an alpine clutch/lorentzo and an ascender/shunt/prussik do the same job? tied off with a simple hitch?

if thats the set up youve got tho, and i dont know what im talkin about (has happened before and will happen again) then id just run a stopper hitch round the live rope using the dead end, then clip the loop.
 Andy S 12 May 2011
In reply to milford cubicle: That's hardcore setup! Think for most setups you can get by with two slings (one for each end), two krabs (one for each end) and then you just need to know how to tie a 'trucker's hitch' (one more krab would be useful for this so you don't wear out the webbing of your slackline. Maybe there's a youtube for trucker's hitch?
 Andy S 12 May 2011
In reply to Andy S: lots of tutorials on the trucker's hitch. I've been using this knot for years for all sorts of things - everyone should know it!

I recommend using a 'slipknot' instead of an overhand on the bight or figure-eight on the bight. Also, finish of how you would tie-off a belay plate - this is much easier to tie and much easier to undo.

The trucker's hitch creates mechanical advantage, like fancier setups do. If you use a krab it works even better. If you really want to go to town you could buy a little pulley which mean you could get uber-tension, but I've seen plenty of excellent results using a plain old trucker's with a krab.

Impossible to explain in text, good luck in finding a good tutorial!
 deepsoup 12 May 2011
In reply to Andy S:
> If you really want to go to town you could buy a little pulley

Did you click the link in the OP?
He's already got a little pulley. And two great big ones. ;O)
 Andy S 12 May 2011
In reply to deepsoup: yeah like really f*cking expensive ones and I meant one not two
 escalator 12 May 2011

that is serious money for a slackline (IMO).
needvert 13 May 2011

Damn. That /is/ expensive. I'm sure it works well, but it's like they've tried to use as much expensive hardware as they could
milford cubicle 13 May 2011
In reply to milford cubicle: Yea it is expensive but it also takes a lot to tension 70m, it would seem that the atc does lock itself and that a knot after is just a safety thing, my mate showed me how to put two overhand knots in it thanks for all the suggestions, i would defo recommend this kit

x

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...