UKC

midges!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark catcher 17 May 2011
Any news on the current midge situation in western Scotland? I've only been to Scotland half a dozen times and half of those visits have been ruined by the little buggers. Hoping to go up to Skye etc next week.
 Joe G 17 May 2011
In reply to mark catcher:

I saw some on Sunday, didn't get bitten though...
 judicait 17 May 2011
In reply to mark catcher: Just use Avon Skin so Soft.....doesn't smell bad like midge repellents and works 10 times better. I have spent every summer up there for 19 years and have never had a problem as long as I have used skin so soft.
 JohnnyW 17 May 2011

We were bitten on the Putting Green on Clach Glas a couple of weeks ago, little b*****s!
 JDal 17 May 2011
In reply to Pauly:

Skin So Soft doesn't work at all for some people - me for example!
 Jon Read 17 May 2011
In reply to mark catcher: I found some in Torridon, start of the month.
 Mark Bull 17 May 2011

Skye last week was fine, but then it was blowing a gale pretty much the whole time
 d conacher 17 May 2011
In reply to mark catcher: Hi there
the midges really arent that bad if you go before the end of june,may is the best month of the year for decent weather and lack of midges on the west coast.julyand august are the months where the west coast should be avoided. cheers dougie
 petestack 17 May 2011
In reply to d conacher:
> may is the best month of the year for decent weather and lack of midges on the west coast.

Not this year (weather-wise) so far, although at least the midges seem be slow in starting up!

Terrible weather last week. Only midges that got me (I never saw 'em!) was whilst I was drinking Talisker after dark on the beach in Stein.
 joan cooper 17 May 2011
In reply to mark catcher: new repellant called SMIDGE works where skin so soft doesnt!
Slugain Howff 17 May 2011
In reply to joan cooper:
> (In reply to mark catcher) new repellant called SMIDGE works where skin so soft doesnt!

Really?

Pritchard 17 May 2011

http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/

Midge forecasts start this weekend.
 CurlyStevo 18 May 2011
In reply to d conacher:
> (In reply to mark catcher) Hi there
> the midges really arent that bad if you go before the end of june,may is the best month of the year for decent weather and lack of midges on the west coast.julyand august are the months where the west coast should be avoided. cheers dougie

haha not that bad comparatively to a complete nightmare you mean?

I've seen awfull midgies in mid-late may that would certainly stop you doing much outside in the evening if the wind is down. June is certainly not known as a low midge month IMO.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...