UKC

Alps- sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bobpilgrem 24 May 2011
Hi All,planning my trip to Chamonix this summer.Will be doing some classic easier routes involving glacier tracel, and hope to do the 3 monts ascent of MB. My question is -do I need cat 4 glasses ?- or can i get away with cat 3. I have looked at the photo chromatic lenses- they seem a good idea in theory but are a lot more expensive.
Would be gratefull for advise.
Thanks Bob
 JR 24 May 2011
In reply to bobpilgrem:

I've only ever had cat 3s and never had a problem
 Morgan Woods 24 May 2011
In reply to bobpilgrem:

i used julbo cat 3 glasses on a week of blazing sun on the haute route this year and never had a problem.
 thomm 24 May 2011
In reply to bobpilgrem:
I would just get something fairly cheap and bug-like. They'll probably get sat on in the hut, and it's the last thing you want to get stressed about.
Anonymous 24 May 2011
In reply to bobpilgrem: Just go for something simple, I done it last year in cat3's in blazing weather. If you get something thats cat4 they'll be just as good (if not better) but not as versatile with the cat3's if you'll be using them in the future (driving etc)
 Dave Williams 24 May 2011
In reply to bobpilgrem:

Cat 3s will be fine I reckon. Main thing is to get a pair that fit well and have minimal gap at cheek level in order to minimise any reflected glare from snow.

Dave
 stevev 24 May 2011
I got a pair of Julbo explorer cameleons, they are photochromatic, going form cat3 to cat4. I had some cat4 julbo's before that but found them too dark in the shadows on rock.
http://www.lakesclimber.com/welcome-to-lakes-climber-online/eyeware/julbo-e...

I got them for £112 - BMC Discount, expensive but I suffer from sore eyes in bright light.
 pec 24 May 2011
In reply to bobpilgrem: Have you got sensitive eyes? Are they blue?
I have and find the glare at altitude unbearable without category 4 lenses. Try staring into the brightest light you can find in your cat 3 glasses and see if it hurts. If not you should be ok.
 Kyle Warlow 24 May 2011
In reply to bobpilgrem:
Dont worry about how well they perform. The most important thing is that you look cool! lol
 David Peters 24 May 2011
In reply to bobpilgrem: It's hard to concentrate on climbing when your eye's are permenantly screwed almost shut due to the glare

These are cheap (ish), fit well and are Cat 4 lenses :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLOC-STINGRAY-Sunglasses-Shiny-Black/dp/B003QQJK5G/...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...