UKC

Midges in Finland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Powly 30 May 2011
Does anyone know whether there are midges in large numbers on the islands off Finland?

Any info appreciated!
Cheers
Tom
 Mikkel 30 May 2011
In reply to Mr Powly:

never noticed midges in Finland, mossies in same amounts as midges in Scotland though.
 hedgepig 30 May 2011
In reply to Mr Powly: Which island?

There are about 4000000000 islands off Finland. I was cycling in the Aland islands last August and there was a breeze all the time as the islands are quite flat and open. But I didn't camp, so not a proper test. The islands nearer Turku are more wooded. Don't know about the ones further north.

The Aland ferry is actually an E-road. It's the shortest crossing for a lorry route from Finland westwards (the other one goes to Rostock). There are 4 enormous ferries which all arrive in the tiny harbour at 14.15hrs, 2 from stockholm and 2 from Turku. And they all unload and go back out again in about half an hour.
 TobyA 31 May 2011
In reply to Mr Powly: I was tarping last night in a Finnish forest and used my new mossie net under the tarp successfully. No midges here but lots of mosquitoes and other unpleasant things like moose flies. Less bad in the islands but any where with trees can bed bad. Camp by the water and you should be fine, but go 10 mtrs into the forest and you can be choking on the buggers. First frost kills them all.
 Dave 31 May 2011
In reply to Mr Powly:

I spend a lot of time in the Finnish archipeligo. No midges, but usually plenty of mosquitos on a still evening. If its been very dry it helps.
Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...