UKC

POD Alpine 50

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elephant0907 04 Jun 2011
Anybody have one/used one?
Fairly sure I'm going to get it, just curious about other people's opinions.
Thanks,
Ellie
 brianblock 04 Jun 2011
In reply to elephant0907: Ive got an alpine 40. I really like it alot but do miss the zip down the side of my Deuter Guide 35, it makes getting your shell or belay jacket out such a chore.
 hokkyokusei 04 Jun 2011
In reply to elephant0907:
I've got one and I love it. It's pretty flexible, the top extends far enough to get more than 50l in, and it also cinches down really small when necessary. I use it for everything, from hiking/wild camping to climbing and scrambling.
 IainMunro 04 Jun 2011

I've got an Alpine 40, I don't rate it.

After a season's use it looks a bit tired, some of the seams have started to bulge and I don't see it lasting more than a couple of years.

I personally find the roll top a bit of a scutter, that's probably personal though. I also don't like the detachable lid but again that may be personal...
The zip on the lid is too small.
The axe and crampon attachments are a bit close together and it can be difficult to get your crampons attached to the bungee if you have your axes on already, minor point but sometimes quite annoying.

Positive points are that it's very weatherproof and comfortable to carry, I wouldn't buy it again though.

Iain
Flatus Vetus 05 Jun 2011

I agree with the above points and would add the following,

The fastners are difficult to use in the cold due to their small size
No ventilation on the back
Top pocket small and difficult to use
 IainMunro 05 Jun 2011
In reply to Flatus Vetus:

> The fastners are difficult to use in the cold due to their small size

Ah yeah, forgot about the fiddly buckles. Difficult to undo with gloves on and painful to undo with cold/numb fingers!
 JJL 05 Jun 2011

The daddy of sacks is this one:
http://www.cilao.com/english/izi44.php

Unbeatable for weight-function-durability; the only downside is cost.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...