UKC

New Zealand Climbing Opportunities

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
telemarker79 05 Jun 2011
Hello all

I'm looking at doing some work in Wellington,NZ and would like to find out information on climbing areas nearby. I am told there are cragsbouldering opportunities nearby to wellington, if so what do these offer? secondly for alpine climbing opportunities are they limited to travelling down to the soutnern alps / Aoraki areas? Any information fully appreciated, thanks
 Tophe 05 Jun 2011
Wellington has some really good bouldering, but as for really good sport/trad crags I think the nearest might be whanganui bay in taupo about 4 hours north? I might be wrong though, there could be something good closer.
 danp 06 Jun 2011
In reply to telemarker79:
There is some really good bouldering out at Baring Head and a few sport route there as well. a few other boulders dotted around slightly closer to wellington.
There is a nearby sea cliff crag called Titahi Bay. This gets a lot of stick as being a bit shit but there is definitely some fun to be had climbing there as long as you don't expect any kind of classic crag. Its a nice setting at least.
There is also an indoor wall called Fergs, on the harbour side.
There is a guide book to the local crags and i think a specific bouldering guide to baring head.

whanganui bay is definitely worth the drive up to to taupo.

didin't do any alpine climbing, i think there is some stuff up around the ski fields on the North island in winter, but it's not a patch on the stuff in the south. A friend of mine was accessing it with skis i think (might suit you judging by your user name?).

Have fun
 KiwiPrincess 07 Jun 2011
In reply to telemarker79:

There are a couple of indoor walls in Wellington
The Bouldering I believe is an hour or so out of town so not an after work type thing.
4 hrs to Taranaki, or Central- Whanganui bay etc. Or Golden Bay.
Alpine Taranaki, Ruapehu 4 Hrs ish, and Southern alps for longer trips.
Not the best Climbing location but a suprising amount of climbers, so If you are Psyched you'll get out on weekends and holidays

KiwiPrincess 07 Jun 2011
In reply to KiwiPrincess:
Good mountain biking!
 ben b 07 Jun 2011
In reply to telemarker79: Wellington to QT flights aren't always expensive, and the airport is handy for the Remarks / Wye Creek etc. Trouble with the flights is WGT airport isn't always 100% free of bad weather
No shortage of stuff on the S Island if you have a few longer weekends available!
Have fun
b
telemarker79 07 Jun 2011
In reply to ben b: some good help and information there, many thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...