UKC

Most innocuous looking climb for the grade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 06 Jun 2011
I thought someone would have done this already, but it has been left to me.

I'll start with a couple of grit horrors:

Saddy, Curbar. It's a short little crack. Jams and gear, then? Not really.

Too Much, Rivelin. E2 6a, 6m, with wires, quite slabby and with a crack. Sounds like a bit of boudlery fun. I wasn't expecting to get pumped to death and then have to do a V4 crux, followed by a hard-enough layback.

Left-hand Pillar Crack, Gardoms. Gain the flake and then it'll be OK? Unless you're an E4 leader and you still fall off onto your belayer's head.
 stonemaster 06 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart: Does Ascent of Man, E4 6a, Roaches Lower Tier count?
OP Jon Stewart 06 Jun 2011
In reply to stonemaster: Dunno. I always look at that and I think it looks fairly hard and not particularly well protected, rather like an E3 grit micro-route...
 jimjimjim 06 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart: goliath at b/ north. I'll get up that for sure i thought...err no. Alright if you've got a few massive cams but i aint so it was a very scary. Did don do it ground up D'ya think?.
 jimjimjim 06 Jun 2011
In reply to jimjimjim: b/south i mean...
 stonemaster 06 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart: If it helps, the protection consists of any number of cams, opposed nuts or hexes in the break, completely bomber. But here is the thing, they are at your feet, so a good attentive belayer who is also a fine sprinter, say, in the mould of Mr Bolt would be required... It's not 3 star for nothing.
The Scarlet Pimpernel 06 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Left-hand Pillar Crack sprang to mind when I saw the thread title!
The Toy at Curbar is even harder and equally innocuous looking.
The HVS at Burbage, No Zag or Zig Zag, is the scene of many a comic flier.
 The Ivanator 06 Jun 2011
 Jimbo C 06 Jun 2011
In reply to jimjimjim:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart) goliath at b/ north. I'll get up that for sure i thought...err no. Alright if you've got a few massive cams but i aint so it was a very scary. Did don do it ground up D'ya think?.

The story is that Don walked up to it and started climbing, then asked for a sling to be thrown up to him becaue it was getting a bit thrutchy, finished the climb, moved on and did not name it. That's the story I heard anyway.

For me, Embankment 2 looked very tame until I slipped off it. I've never been so pumped on a slab.
OP Jon Stewart 07 Jun 2011
In reply to The Ivanator:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart) Obsession Fatale at the Roaches looks like a fairly run of the mill piece of balancy slab climbing not an E7 horror.

Never looked innocuous to me. Looks like a blank slab, the type that boulders at about font 6c.

In reply to Jon Stewart: Synopsis at Froggatt looked reasonable (I thought) but I never felt comfortable anywhere on the climb and it seemed impossible to fiddle in the protection whilst hanging on desperately.
Chris Ellyatt 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Duel.

A slab? Font 8A? Nahhhh. Eassy!

This theory was proven wrong to me Feb '10.

Chris
Chris Ellyatt 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Also Barn Owl Crack at Chudleigh Rocks. Hate this climb!

Chris
 GrahamD 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I always thought the Russian at Symonds Yat looked pretty innocuous even when it was a known VS sandbag.
 wilkie14c 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Crack and Corner, roaches upper

Severe my arse, I had to aid the start

<hangs head in shame>
 The Ivanator 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to The Ivanator)
> [...]
>
> Never looked innocuous to me. Looks like a blank slab, the type that boulders at about font 6c.

Yup, it looks like a boulder problem slab, can't say I feel visually daunted by either slabs or boulder problems, I appreciate it is bloody hard, but I don't look up at it and shake with fear ...maybe I should!
 Offwidth 07 Jun 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

So an undercut jamming crack looks innocuous to you as a severe???
 wilkie14c 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
Yea but the book says 'only 'severe so there simply must be big holds and easy moves (!)
 Offwidth 07 Jun 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

Why? A start on a severe could be 5a if the landing is OK and C&C is 5a to start the (wrong) way most climb it. We still have it as HS 4c on Offwidth. I'd say harder than the similar bottomless Mutiny Crack at Burbage North. Then add a big complex middle section and an obvious overhanging finish: the last words you would use to describe C&C is innocuous looking.
 Kafoozalem 07 Jun 2011
 Stone Muppet 07 Jun 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
> Crack and Corner, roaches upper

Agreed. Also Crack and Corner on Stanage Popular.

And yes, The Toy.

Hmm, seeing quite a grit theme here!
 Simon Caldwell 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
I'm with you on this, it's hard to think of a less innocuous-looking "severe" than this one! One of these days I'll manage to get more than a couple of feet off the ground...
 wilkie14c 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
>
> Then add a big complex middle section and an obvious overhanging finish: the last words you would use to describe C&C is innocuous looking.

I think maybe I'm bit of a grit thug but get mardey when I get me arse spanked by 'just' a severe. Glad to see others having a tough time on it though ^^^^
 John Ww 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Grovel Groove, Bowden. Oh, how I laughed (until it came to my go).
Removed User 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Grooved Arete on Rannoch Wall. Looks innocuous and leads you on to discover insecure, worrying and frustrating climbing.

First pitch of The End at Polney. Always found it harder than it looks.

Clapham Junction with the direct finish at Polldubh. I suppose at least it looks as steep as it is.
 Carless 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Fern Groove, Stanage - friendly jam crack? not for me it wasn't
 TonyM 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Usurper at Curbar. Looks a gift at E4, posing as standard tech 5b grit jamming, but oh so isn't
 sutty 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Carless:

At least Fern crack is overhanging so looks its grade. Blue Lights at Wimberry looks like a severe pleasant jamming route, till you start it.

In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Carless)
>
> At least Fern crack is overhanging so looks its grade. Blue Lights at Wimberry looks like a severe pleasant jamming route, till you start it.

I'm not sure Fern Crack is overhanging. But Fern Groove looks like a couple of moves up a little groove with a crag for your hands. It turns out to be monstrously technical just to get started in the groove. I for one fell off.

On the same day, I fell off Silica. A little flake through a little roof, how bad could that be? Awful. And I didn't even get as far as the arete, which is trouser-browner, by all accounts.
 Iain Peters 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Nexus Direct Finish. From below looks like a nice groove to finish off an E1 classic.....but.ain't!

And at the other end of the country and grade;

Oread and Oread By-pass at Bosigran, both up a slabby wall, seemingly with loads of holds and protection but at V Diff have stopped many a S/VS leader in their tracks.
 Offwidth 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Iain Peters:

The right hand of those (with the overlap) is fine at VD. Only the left is hard.. and bold...a perfect choice for the category. Better still is that VD with the ramp start over to the right from Alison's Rib.
The Scarlet Pimpernel 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

Do you mean Big Top?
 Jonny2vests 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

i've always thought the Rasp looks like juggy fun from the bottom. Its not until you get on it that you realise that many of the holds are too big to be jugs so you end up open handing them, which at that angle is hard work.
 John_Hat 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

....most of the VDiffs at Almscliff.

"Cup and Saucer", particularly.
 Pekkie 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Iain Peters:
>
> Nexus Direct Finish. From below looks like a nice groove to finish off an E1 classic.....but.ain't!
>
> Ding dong, you're not wrong.
 Chris H 07 Jun 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: I see your point, but the Rasp, innocuous? But the routes to the left, including the VS The Rat's Tail don't even look steep. But when you get on them, the Higgar double-gravity effect becomes apparent.
 Iain Peters 07 Jun 2011
In reply to The Scarlet Pimpernel:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
>
> Do you mean Big Top?

No, BT's to the left on a separate small buttress: I think it's either Fasolt or Fafnir. Gallipoli's on Bosigran Ridge is another. Looks pretty straightforward but has a wicked little move which stops many a reasonable climber in their tracks.

stonemaster 07 Jun 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: Higgar Tor...Brrrr
In reply to Iain Peters:
>
> Nexus Direct Finish. From below looks like a nice groove to finish off an E1 classic.....but.ain't!

My memory of it, traversing below it on Nexus, is that it looked desperately mean and open.
>
> And at the other end of the country and grade;
>
> Oread and Oread By-pass at Bosigran, both up a slabby wall, seemingly with loads of holds and protection but at V Diff have stopped many a S/VS leader in their tracks.

A reflection, I suspect, of the Oread MC at that period.

russelj 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart: Any steepish, mid grade, Culm coast route which looks perfectly pleasant until you get on it and realise that if you pull too hard all the holds peel off in your hands.
 Jonny2vests 13 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Yeah - Rats Tail is a proper sandbag. To me though, the Rasp is the sort of thing I normally find easy - non-technical stamina fests. So I was quite surprised it was as hard as it was.
 Dave Garnett 13 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Wall Climb, Curbar. VS featuring a nice easy ramp with lots of holds and gear placements. What could possibly go wrong?
 caradoc 13 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart: Another Curbar offering- Grey Face VS 5a.
> Crack and Corner, roaches upper

Went to do that last year as I really enjoyed it before to find someone had been for a poo at the bottom of it....Idiots! tbh when I did it last time it was the bit between the crack and the corner a bit unerving... i.e the simple traverse round the corner
OP Jon Stewart 13 Jun 2011
In reply to Dave Garnett:
>
> Wall Climb, Curbar.

I think that one's quite alright. Rather easier than the nearby Baron's Wall at VS.

Jon Greengrass 13 Jun 2011
In reply to caradoc:
> (In reply to Jon Stewart) Another Curbar offering- Grey Face VS 5a.

climbed 1 handed smoking a fag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...