UKC

Mo Farah - new record - Olympic hope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pekkie 06 Jun 2011
Have a look at Mo Farah setting a new 10,000 metre European record (and a UK record by 30 odd seconds) of 26:46 on the BBC Sport/Athletics web-site. He does it running away from a world class field, half a dozen of whom are still in contention with a lap to go. I reckon that lad's got a chance in the Olympics.
 The New NickB 06 Jun 2011
In reply to Pekkie:

As brilliant a performance as it is, it 30 seconds slower than Bekele's world record. If Bekele is in any kind of form, he will win.
 birdie num num 06 Jun 2011
In reply to The New NickB:
It would be interesting to project what the absolute limit for human performance over 10k might be. Is it possible that someone could eventually average four minute miling throughout? Or are we getting to the limits now?
OP Pekkie 06 Jun 2011

Obviously. But how often are world records set in competitive distance races? Mo can clearly stick with a fast pace and has a sprint finish tucked away in the tool kit. Not many british distance runners of the last thirty years you could say that about. All I said was that he has a chance.
ice.solo 07 Jun 2011
In reply to birdie num num:

i wonder about that too. considering how close the 10k record is to being exactly half the 20k record.
 DaveHK 07 Jun 2011
In reply to birdie num num:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
> It would be interesting to project what the absolute limit for human performance over 10k might be. Is it possible that someone could eventually average four minute miling throughout? Or are we getting to the limits now?

This might interest you then:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/john+brenkus/the+perfect...
 birdie num num 07 Jun 2011
In reply to DaveHK:
Cheers for that, I'll check that out. I remember reading some time ago about the possibilities of a sub 2 marathon and that it could be up to 25 years before this is achievable according to sport science predictions. Why? Is there someone out there now, perhaps who has lived and trained their lifetime at altitude who is already potentially capable of this?
 lowersharpnose 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Pekkie:

Thanks for that - a very strong performance.
 Al Evans 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Pekkie: If he chooses to he could eventually the guy who put UK marathon running back on the world map too.
 Hat Dude 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Pekkie:

I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance but it's a big ask.

I'm seem to remember that when Bekele won in Beijing, he ran the last lap in a time that would've won a medal in the womens 400m.
In reply to Hat Dude:

Bekele's last lap in Beijing 2008 10,000m was 53.42s.

Mo was credited with 55s in this race (by the commentator) - I haven't got the actual time.

OP Pekkie 07 Jun 2011
In reply to lowersharpnose:

Championship races quite often have incredible last laps if the first part of the race is slow. For instance, from - an admittedly poor - memory, the last lap in the Moscow 1500 - won by Coe - was close to 50 seconds. Which is why a contender has to have not only the ability to stay with a fast pace but also a last lap kick. Mo was leading from the front and not under pressure at the end - but I agree - Bekele looks almost(?) unbeatable.
 tom290483 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Pekkie:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> Not many british distance runners of the last thirty years you could say that about.

Mo Farah is about as british as Tiffany Ofili.
Jim C 07 Jun 2011
In reply to tom290483:
> (In reply to Pekkie)
> [...]
>
> Mo Farah is about as british as Tiffany Ofili.

Watch what you say, I commented in a similar vein last year when he had the Somali Flag, and got accused of allsorts.

Anyway, many in Athletics now, run under flags of convinience. (As was pointed out last year )
 bowls 07 Jun 2011
In reply to tom290483:

I would say he is very British, came over here as a young kid to excape civil war. Had no interest in running until his P.E. teacher in Hounslow coerced him to join his local club, grew up running and sometimes winning English Schools and National cross country championships, has competed regularly for Windsor Slough Eton and Hounslow A.C. in many national competitions. He has been completely nurtured over here and British Coaches and UK athletics can take a lot of credit for this. He isn't some guy who at the age of 26 transferred to Bahrain for money..
 DougG 07 Jun 2011
In reply to bowls:

Agree 100%, Zola Budd he is not.
In reply to Pekkie:

Mo has just put himself right up there with the real quick guys. His training with Salazar is obviously really working.

World Championships are at the end of Aug in Korea.
OP Pekkie 07 Jun 2011
In reply to tom290483:
> >
> Mo Farah is about as british as Tiffany Ofili.

You mean he's black and from Somalia. Shame on you. Any refugee who comes here and is brought up in Britain is British. That's our tradition.

Banned User 77 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Pekkie: By all accounts one of the nicest guys around.

A friend who's a physio with the GB team was out at a Kenyan training camp with him, his young daughter who was out with him met Mo and after returning to the UK sent Mo a card saying he's her hero. Mo sent a lovely video message back. I've never heard one runner say a negative thing about him and that he really encourages the rest of the GB and upcoming runners.

Not British by Birth and no doubt benefits from his genetics but UK athletics and coaches have worked hard and supported him so the British have every right to be proud of his achievements. Likewise I don't see any reason for him to not respect and acknowledge his country of Birth.

I don't think he'll quite close the gap, but he's come further than I thought he would so who knows. Great to have a UK runner up there and the likes of Chris Thompson will be pushed by having a class runner in their group.
 Liam M 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Pekkie: He does come across as a great character. Almost every time he comes into the final straight he looks like he's truly beasting himself, and this look changes to a huge grin of seeming surprise and elation at where he is as he crosses the line.

His nationality should be an irrelevancy compared to the amazing and inspirational way he manages to goes about being a spectacular athlete.

I really hope he does go on to tussle strongly with the likes of Bekele as he seems like he's thoroughly deserving.
 tom290483 07 Jun 2011
In reply to DougG:
> (In reply to bowls)
>
> Agree 100%, Zola Budd he is not.

your right. probably more greg rusedski.

DougG 07 Jun 2011
In reply to tom290483:

Hardly.
 Jamie B 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Pekkie:

Bekele starts favourite for the Worlds, but if Farah can get a medal he's on course for a further improvement in 2012.
 Jamie B 22 Jul 2011
> Bekele starts favourite for the Worlds, but if Farah can get a medal he's on course for a further improvement in 2012.

Having seen tonight's performance over 5,000m I might have to revise that!

12.53 with a 54 second last lap; utterly dominated a strong field in Monaco.

Go Mr Farah!

bowls 23 Jul 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: for me that is a new European record. Mouhrit was drugged up to his eyeballs on EPO as his failed drugs test finally proved. He also only 'transferred' to Belgium late in the day -the debate about mo farah will go on but for me he came here as a kid, never ran until his P.E. teacher encouraged him to do so, came through the club system with hounslow who he still regularly competes for (now winsor slough eton and hounslow) . So i say fantastic, Well done Mo. Imagine a British test winning either the 5k or 10k at 2012. Not Something i would have thought possible 6 years ago!
OP Pekkie 06 Sep 2011
In reply to Pekkie:

> Have a look at Mo Farah setting a new 10,000 metre European record (and a UK record by 30 odd seconds) of 26:46 on the BBC Sport/Athletics web-site. He does it running away from a world class field, half a dozen of whom are still in contention with a lap to go. I reckon that lad's got a chance in the Olympics.

Ahem...Hope all you doubters are eating all your humble pie up! Mind you, I was wrong, I predicted the Olympics not the World Champs.

victorclimber 07 Sep 2011
In reply to Pekkie: But he didnt win the 10 k ,he won the 5 k.
 tony 07 Sep 2011
In reply to victorclimber:

I think one of the most impressive things about his 5k win was the way he learned the lessons from the 10k and implemented them a week a later. Learning and applying so quickly suggests a great degree of awareness, intelligence and flexibility which bodes very well for future races, including both distances at the Olympics.
 The New NickB 07 Sep 2011
In reply to tony:

I still think a fully fit Bekele would beat him, the question is, will we ever see Bekele at his best again.

I would love to see Farah do the 5/10 double next year, then look at moving up to the marathon.
 chopin-smith 08 Sep 2011
> (In reply to tony)
>
> I still think a fully fit Bekele would beat him, the question is, will we ever see Bekele at his best again.
>
> I would love to see Farah do the 5/10 double next year, then look at moving up to the marathon.

I suspect, sadly, that Bekele is past his peak.
Farah moving to marathon distance (after 2012 of course) I'd love to see... he knocked out a 1hr half marathon earlier this year after his coach suggested he give one a try...
 chopin-smith 08 Sep 2011
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to victorclimber)
>
> I think one of the most impressive things about his 5k win was the way he learned the lessons from the 10k and implemented them a week a later.

True, his tactics in the 5,000m were spot on, and he was very cool (and possibly lucky that Lagat's legs aren;t what they used to be!). I thought both races were impressive performances. Will be VERY interesting to see what a year of sprint workouts can do for Farah:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/8743038/London-2012-Olympics-Mo-F...

Jamie B 09 Sep 2011
In reply to chopin-smith:

Very unlucky not to get the double - Jeilan's last lap in the 10,000 was nothing short of exceptional.
 Jamie B 16 Sep 2011

> I suspect, sadly, that Bekele is past his peak.

Tonight's performance in Brussels (fastest time in the world this year, eclipsing Farah's mark) suggests otherwise.
 Steve John B 16 Sep 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

"BRUSSELS — Double Olympic champion Kenenisa Bekele ran the fastest 10,000m of the season on Friday at the Brussels Diamond League meeting, clocking 26min 43.16sec.

The 29-year-old bettered the previous leading time of 26:46.57 set by Britain's Mo Farah in Eugene in June.

Kenya's Lucas Rotich (26:43.98) and Galen Rupp of the United States (26:48.00) took second and third respectively."
-----

Rotich also went faster then. But Farah may not have finished improving.

Also at the meet, Yohan Blake set the 2nd fastest 200m ever...
 chopin-smith 17 Sep 2011
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

> Tonight's performance in Brussels (fastest time in the world this year, eclipsing Farah's mark) suggests otherwise.

Absolutely and amazing -- what a bounce back after Daegu. Amazing performance by Rupp too. A shame Farah wasn't there...
 andy 17 Sep 2011
> (In reply to Jamie Bankhead)
>
> [...]
> A shame Farah wasn't there...

He's in newcastle - met him in the restaurant i had my tea in on thursday night. Nice fella.
 Jamie B 17 Sep 2011
In reply to Steve John B:

> Also at the meet, Yohan Blake set the 2nd fastest 200m ever...

That was jaw-dropping; I don't think anyone saw that sort of performance coming. Eclipsing Bolt is no mean feat but he did so comprehensively; think the big man might have a race on his hands next year...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...