UKC

Trekking Poles in Ultras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StefanB 07 Jun 2011
A couple of questions regarding the use of trekking poles in long distance races: I keep seeing theses being used on hilly terrain, but most people don't seem to use them much, i.e. they don't seem to put much weight on them and just carry them around. Are they just using them wrongly, or am I missing something? I have used poles for walking but don't really see the benefit for running.

So, who uses poles and what are the benefits and recommended uses? Do they only make sense on the long uphill walking bits (in that case are they just used as in walking)? Do they help at certain distance when the legs get tired?
 Banned User 77 07 Jun 2011
In reply to StefanB: I rate them and used them in the UTMb and am convinced that was why I climbed well late on, saved my quads.

Tim Higginbottom used them when the paddy buckley record was set.
 Simon Caldwell 07 Jun 2011
In reply to StefanB:
I carry a pair, I find them most useful on steep uphills, also on boggy/tussocky ground to help keep balance, and on downhills to protect dodgy knees. Running is no different to walking, in that most people carry them around, waving them in the air occasionally, and get no actual benefit from them at all - if used properly, your arms should ache at the end of the day
OP StefanB 07 Jun 2011
In reply to IainRUK:

So do you just use them walking on the steep climbs or running as well?
OP StefanB 07 Jun 2011
In reply to Toreador:

> if used properly, your arms should ache at the end of the day

So how do I use them properly when actually running (rather than when walking)?
 dmhigg 07 Jun 2011
In reply to IainRUK:
> Tim Higginbottom used them when the paddy buckley record was set.

His brother tried to use them on the Carn Mor Dearg arete and nearly died.
ice.solo 07 Jun 2011
In reply to StefanB:

correct me if im wrong, but theyre banned in some races arent they?

hasnt the badwater recently banned them?
 Simon Caldwell 07 Jun 2011
In reply to StefanB:
> So how do I use them properly when actually running (rather than when walking)?

They're mainly useful when walking, ie on the steep uphill bits.
 alicia 07 Jun 2011
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to Steff)
>
> correct me if im wrong, but theyre banned in some races arent they?
>
> hasnt the badwater recently banned them?

They're banned in a lot of American races, sometimes for safety (of the other runners) and sometimes because of the advantage they give.
OP StefanB 07 Jun 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

Yes depends on the race. In the local ultra trail organized by my club, they are banned for the first 30km (very technical ground) and can then be picked up at an aid station. In shorter races, they are usually banned altogether. On some longer events, they might appear on the list of recommended gear.
In reply to StefanB: Both, when running just gently tap the ground, seem to aid the forward motion.
In reply to alicia:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> They're banned in a lot of American races, sometimes for safety (of the other runners) and sometimes because of the advantage they give.

Banned by UKA rules too, count as mechanical assistance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...