UKC

Cusco Peru

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 diadem 09 Jun 2011
Going to Cusco next year to do the Inca trail, I have 2 and a half days to fit in some time on the rock.

So are what the best guide book also are there any other activities worth doing?
 CarbonCopy 09 Jun 2011
In reply to diadem: The ruins nearer town are a must, think they are called Saqsewaman, not sure on spelling though. Or just soaking up the atmosphere in the square. No idea about climbing I'm afraid
 David Hooper 09 Jun 2011
In reply to diadem: i love that whole area. can i be controversial and suggest binning the inca trail - do visit macchu picchu which is stunning - but just bimble slowly up yje sacred valley by public transport enjoying the little towns and antiquities en route at your leisure.

with the time and money saved by skipping the bica trailo - you could do a decent trek like salcantay or ausengate.

have great fun whatever you decide - cusco is one of the places on my retirement list
OP diadem 09 Jun 2011
In reply to David Hooper:

I do plan to go back to Peru and do just that but this trip is a charity gig so the inca trail isn't optional.

After a little google is seems there is plenty of bouldering and sport to be had, just need to locate a book.
OP diadem 09 Jun 2011
In reply to CarbonCopy:
> (In reply to diadem) The ruins nearer town are a must, think they are called Saqsewaman, not sure on spelling though. Or just soaking up the atmosphere in the square. No idea about climbing I'm afraid

Thanks hmm.. could do some street photography oh you'v got me thinking now!
 David Hooper 09 Jun 2011
In reply to diadem: TRY GOOGLING SOUTH AMERICAN EXPLORERS club - they used to have a clubhouse in cusco with a good outdoor pursuits oriented library - they may well be able to help
OP diadem 09 Jun 2011
In reply to David Hooper:

Awesome much appreciated!

Any good luck with you treatment!
hillbilly 09 Jun 2011
In reply to diadem: do the trail, you can not beat looking DOWN on Machu Picchu from the 'sun gate', a real sence of achievement - but take your time on the trail - stop and look at the view plenty, and the air is so heavy there if you have acclimatised properly before the trail, its great to see the 'tourists' struggling for air. There may still be some hot springs open to the public and tourists in the valley below MP - just a bit more walking - but a good treat for the feet and legs and fun to watch the local kids bathing. (was a few years ago). the ruins at sacsayhuman - kind of said 'sexy woman!' are worth checking out - also the pubs/nightlife is fun - dont know if the cross key pub is still going but fab fun and did not matter if you were the only english speaker! masses of atmosphere. you could raft the urabamba river but dont know what its like. just soak up peru!
Frine 09 Jun 2011
Theres some bouldering off to the left of the path from the temple of the moon (walk the long way around via Sachsayhuaman and Quenquo for a bit of an explore) back to Cusco, might be worth an explore of that area - I think its limestone so lots of caves for roof problems!
 Cusco 09 Jun 2011
In reply to diadem:

After 5 years of finding no climbing near the city, on my annual 3 week visit, last year I struck gold following lengthy internet and on the ground searching.

I now see there's this new site, which provides more info than I had last year.

http://climbingincusco.blogspot.com/2010/11/boulder-and-climb-routes-in.htm...

Unfortunately, the fantastic bouldering place I went to time and again last year (no 3 on the map - overhanging, long in places and covered in big holds and chalk) is stated to be closed on the map. I don't know whether that means officially, but if you're unobtrusive and stay hidden you're fine or whether it's policed and more formal. No one came up to the crag or asked me to leave when I was there last year, perhaps because it's in the trees and can't easily be seen. But I'll check with this guy before heading there when I return this year.

It's probably best for you to contact him to see what you can and can't do and where.

PS - be patient trying to find the places if you're not with a local climber! No 4 on the plan took a 2.5 day search and being chased by wild dogs to find it and is actually most easily and quickly approached from the big hairpin on the Pisac road to the east rather than slogging up the hills from Sacsyhuaman. There's not much bouldering but two good routes using some amazing condor's claw tufas.

Enjoy - I can't wait to go back on 1 September (the countdown's begun)
 Cusco 09 Jun 2011
In reply to Cusco:

Whoops - great but apparently closed bouldering place was no 5 not no 3.
kamon 10 Jun 2011
In reply to diadem:

Put this site into google translate if you don't understand spanish.

http://toposperu.com/

There may not be tons of info there but there is some on the areas near Cusco and links to other sites.

There aren't really any rock guides to Peru but there is plenty of rock.
 aostaman 14 Jun 2011
In reply to diadem: If the two and a half days are after you land in Cusco and you've flown from sea level. You might need a day to acclimatise.Also I don't know how long the walk in's are, but you will probably need plenty of water. Have fun, Cusco is stunning.
 La benya 14 Jun 2011
In reply to diadem:

Are you doing the standard inca trail or the extended one? We did the extended one which took twice as long and was awesome.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...