UKC

Kenton Cool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevez 09 Jun 2011
Had a totally surreal experience today. First thing this morning I saw a tweet from Kenton Cool asking if anyone would care to join him on a bike ride whilst he was in Newport getting his 'worn out' passport replaced.

Yours truly duly replied and half an hour later i've got Britain's most successful high altitude climber of all time drinking tea in my kitchen! They say never meet your heroes as you'll always be underwhelmed, well that certainly wasn't the case with Kenton, the guy was a perfect gent with not an ounce of arrogance in his body despite his unbelievable achievements.

I know in the past Kenton has taken some stick on here for his Everest Expeditions but this is a guy just trying to earn an honest living out of something he clearly just loves doing, and happens to be bloody good at.

Thanks again Kenton.
 The New NickB 09 Jun 2011
In reply to stevez:

Did he beast you on the bike?
 ChrisHolloway1 09 Jun 2011
In reply to stevez: awesome! What are the odds of that eh?
In reply to stevez: Haha...I read his tweet biggin you up too! Nice one dude
adamtc 10 Jun 2011
In reply to stevez: Me and my missus were sitting in a bar one evening in Scotland. He asked if he could join us. Naturally we said yes. Like you, we both thought he was a charming, likeable and generally decent bloke. Good luck to him.
OP stevez 10 Jun 2011
In reply to The New NickB:

He totally beasted me! The guy is a machine!!!
 GrahamD 10 Jun 2011
In reply to stevez:

Surreal yes, but the accolade "most successful high altitude climber of all time" surely belongs to someone like Doug Scott ?
 The New NickB 10 Jun 2011
In reply to GrahamD:

That sort of title is always open to personal interpretation, half a dozen people could probably legitimately be considered, including Scott, Cool and Hinkes.
 Davvers 10 Jun 2011
In reply to stevez:

I had a conversation with him on here about Tour Ronde, he's a really nice guy.
 Oli Greg 10 Jun 2011
In reply to stevez:
While up in Scotland a few years ago, i was invited along as a guinee pig client for a guiding assessment (BMG i think). I got partnered up with Kenton, showed me all the basics neede. Again, he was/is a top guy, friendly no arrogance or ego. And quite happy to deal with lack of skill.
 TobyA 10 Jun 2011
In reply to The New NickB:

> That sort of title is always open to personal interpretation, half a dozen people could probably legitimately be considered, including Scott, Cool and Hinkes.

British maybe, but none of them could compare to Messner or the obvious Polish candidate whose name I can't pronounce and can't remember the spelling!

Kenton has the coolest name though, obviously.
 The New NickB 10 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, British, as this that was the description given by the OP.
Kenton Cool - Dream Guides 10 Jun 2011
In reply to stevez:
The pleasure was mine Steve...thanks for the ride...and I didn't think you were shabby on the bike at all!!
KC
 creag 10 Jun 2011
In reply to Kenton Cool - Dream Guides:
I've heard he bites the heads off Jelly Babies thought...
OP stevez 10 Jun 2011
In reply to creag:
> (In reply to Kenton Cool - Dream Guides)
> I've heard he bites the heads off Jelly Babies thought...

He's more of a Haribo man actually!!!
 Chris the Tall 10 Jun 2011
Do you still take Stripey Mouse each time you do a big mountain ?

How many times has he done Everest ?
 Max factor 10 Jun 2011

and he has an ear-ring like a pirate. kudos.
 TobyA 10 Jun 2011
In reply to Kenton Cool - Dream Guides: Kenton, are you in contact at all with a London guy called James (Jim) Thompson? I climbed with Jim when I was in Leeds at the end of the 90s, and I remember he said he had climbed with you a bit and, I think, worked in the same shop with you sometime back then. We lost contact sometime after that and I wondered if he carried on climbing. He had real natural talent. So if you know him, say Toby sends his best wishes, and if not, please just ignore all the above!

Cheers.
 tim000 10 Jun 2011
In reply to stevez: if you`re ever in cheshire kenton im up for a ride
 rusty_nails 10 Jun 2011
In reply to stevez:

He complimented you on your biking on facebook. Thinks you may be a darkhorse...
Cash 10 Jun 2011
In reply to stevez:
Saw the dude on an easyjet flight last year into geneva, think it was june time...he was sat next to a lad who was obviously happy to have been randomly planted next to him...kenton spent the whole flight chatting with this lad, no dramas, no airs and graces...nice one kc, easyjet all the way!
 stonemaster 11 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA
the obvious Polish candidate whose name I can't pronounce and can't remember the spelling!
>

Jurek (Jerzy) Kukuczka?
James Jackson 11 Jun 2011

Kenton, if you're after your copy of The Three Musketeers, it's in the Mönch Hut. Or at least it was a couple of years ago...
 tobykeep 11 Jun 2011
In reply to stevez:

It's true about meeting your heroes. I used to think Nick Bullock was a god in human form, but then I saw him at LPT one day, puffing and slapping like a fat, old punter! My illusions were shattered!
 woodybenwood 11 Jun 2011
In reply to tobykeep: again another really nice guy though
 Jamie Hageman 11 Jun 2011
In reply to stonemaster: I think he means Marko Prezelj - great climber and an unbelievable photographer
 stonemaster 11 Jun 2011
In reply to Jamie Hageman: Oh, ok...slinks away, tail between the legs...
 TobyA 11 Jun 2011
In reply to Jamie Hageman: Nope it was Kukuczka I was think of, although as Nick pointed out, the original question was about UK high altitude climbers.
In reply to TobyA: Oops, trying to be clever.
I saw Kenton speak at the Fort William Festival a couple of years ago and left completely inspired! I've got to see some of these big mountains sometime soon or I think I'll burst.
ice.solo 11 Jun 2011
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

marko prezelj is slovenian.
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to wee jamie)
>
> marko prezelj is slovenian.

Yes...

...I know.

It was a test. And you passed the test.
ice.solo 11 Jun 2011
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

cool. so its just you and me then...
 stonemaster 11 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA: Cheers for that Mr TobyA...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...