UKC

Crux AK57 or Pod Black Ice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Nolan 14 Jun 2011
Narrowed it down to these two rucksacks. I'll be using it in the Alps for bivvying and climbing and also on my gold D of E next month!

So I'm looing for something with a good amount of room, for the excessive amount of gear we need on D of E, but I want it to be small enough to use for bivvying etc.

Any opinions welcomed!

Mike
 ryan_d 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan: Got an AK47 and its pretty big, but I just can't get on with the fit of it. Now got a POD Alpine 40, which can be really overstuffed coz of the rolltop. I find the fit much more comfy as well, but its always personal with packs. Have you tried either/both?

Ryan
OP Mike Nolan 14 Jun 2011
In reply to ryan_d: Nope, I doubt I'll have a chance to, no shops near me stock them as far as I know.
 Stuzz 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:

I get on really well with my Black Ice. Had it a few years and no problems yet. Nice size too (massive when fully extended by surprisingly compact when empty and compressed down).

As others have said though it'll probably come down to the fit. They're really very similar bags. I didn't really get on well with the fit of the Crux.

Graham
OP Mike Nolan 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan: From comments on here and other bits of looking around, it seems the Black Ice fits more people than the AK57. Is the Black Ice big enough for 5 days worth of gear and a trangia or tent?
 Mark Collins 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan: I have an AK47 and although I like it and use it all the time, the stitching from around the inner draw string has gone. I have had it about five years mind you so improvements may have been made since then.
almost sane 15 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:
If you buy them both on-line, you are legally allowed to return them within a week for a full refund. So you could by them both from an e-retailer, try both on, and return the one that doesn't fit. Or return them both and try something else.

Osprey do good packs if you have the budget.

Alternatively, buy a cheap-but-good-enough pack for DofE, and then buy a different pack for when you go lighter. For the price of a POD Black Ice, you can get two or even three rucksacks that are OK.

Tesco have an acceptable range of rucksacks. Look at some of the cheaper stuff in Blacks and Millets.
 MG 15 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan: I have an AK47-X and initially thought I had made a big mistake but now really, really like it. It is light, adaptable, comfortable and very strong (other than the snow closure).
 thin bob 15 Jun 2011
In reply to almost sane:
a very sane reply!

Mike: i'm sure they're both great, but if you're going to enjoy it and keep it for a long time, try the rucksack on, loaded and overstuffed.
(my BD Mixmaster 50L is great because it's quite wide for the size and fitting more gear in the extension is OK..but my (old style!) karrimor alpinist is more stable & comfortable
 Stuzz 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:

I'm going to put another good word in for my Black Ice after the abuse i gave it today! Descending from Sword of Gideon in Applecross today and can to an awkward downclimb i didn't fancy with the pack on... So decided to drop it a meter or so into the grass below... About 150m further down the gully it finally stopped cartwheeling and bouncing when it hit a boulder field!
It came away from it with one minuscule tear on the side, probably from where it came to an abrupt stop against a sandstone boulder!

I'd like to see how a Berghaus Arete or similar would cope with that! Pretty certain i would have been collecting my belongings strewn across the gully. My poor Sigg bottle is however about half the volume it started the day as though :S

Tough as nails!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...